Q.E Alaska excursions

erniebernie

Goodmorning  I am hoping some kind person who is on board QE now or who has recently got off an Alaska cruise could post photos of the excursions that were available. many thanks.  Or any Cunard ship would do:)

HI, we were on QE back in 2019 and I have kept the Excursions booklet.  I know the pricing will most likely be different and the variety may have changed.  Would you be interested in photos from this?  Which ports?  We have Kodiak, Anchorage, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, and Ketchikan each listed with description.  Then there are some pages with just the list Departure times and prices.

Hi thanks for your reply I have  got the excursion list from June 2019  I was hoping for a newer list,our cruise is not till next year  but its never too early to start planning:) :). Thanks for your help though.

There are 121 excursions listed for our Alaska voyage this year.

So there are LOTS of them!

So pics probably won’t be an option. Too many.

Did you have a particular port or experience you were hoping was on the list.

Narrowing it down might help you get some answers.

@erniebernie It is definitely not too early to plan. Then book as soon as they are available. If the one you want sells out don’t be afraid to look on Trip Advisor (hope I’m allowed to say that) as they offer almost identical tours from each port. If you’re going to Skagway and want to ride the train book it immediately when available.

• Like 2

Naturelovergirl thanks I am looking at Ketchikan Lumberjack show. Would love to do Hunting for Halibit but dont know if its available in September ,Juneau..not to sure what there is,Skagway White Pass railway and Street Car City Tour, Sitka ..not sure what there is. Any suggestions would be grateful. techteach  I hope to book as soon as we can and will definatley look at Tripadviser. Thanx Allison

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, erniebernie said:

Naturelovergirl thanks I am looking at Ketchikan Lumberjack show. Would love to do Hunting for Halibit but dont know if its available in September ,Juneau..not to sure what there is,Skagway White Pass railway and Street Car City Tour, Sitka ..not sure what there is. Any suggestions would be grateful. techteach  I hope to book as soon as we can and will definatley look at Tripadviser. Thanx Allison

No problem

Here are the current prices for what they are offering for those things this year- just remember that Alaska is not inexpensive... but if you want to have some of the Alaska experiences you accept that you will pay. We budget for excursions and would always prefer to experience amazing things than go shopping.

I would imagine with inflation that prices will be a bit more next year- but this gives you a basic idea

Ketchikan

The Lumberjack show is $50.00 per person

The Lumberjack show paired with the crab feast of dungeness crab at the George Inlet Lodge is $150.00 per person

Hunting for Halibut is certainly being offered in August for this year and it is priced at $425.00 per person

We are going to Neets Bay with the Alaskan Bear Adventure by Land and Sea- it is sold out on Cunard now but it cost $399.00 per person

Juneau

(This year Juneau is a tender port- so we are absolutely buying a ship sponsored excursion)

Of course whale watching is very popular in Juneau

There is the Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest for $189.00 per person

Also a combo tour with whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier for $215.00 per person

Just to go to Mendenhall Glacier is $50.00 per person

The tramway up Mount Roberts is $50.00 per person

There are also the big epic excursions like seaplanes, helicopters, and walking on glaciers... most of those are already sold out so I can't give you a price- but they are, of course, higher in price

We plan to rent a jeep to do our own thing through Cunard- the cost is $325-$420 per vehicle depending on how many doors are on the jeep

Skagway

We are doing the White Pass Rail in August

There are different options for the rail

Your best bet is to look at the White Pass Rail website and see which one fits your needs if you want to do the train

We will be doing the excursion which lasts all day and goes to Bennett which costs $310 per person

There are a wide variety of excursions which highlight the gold rush history as well as the magnificent nature- I'm seeing the lower cost of $45.00 per person to $625.00 per person for the flight seeing with dog sledding on a glacier

The street car tour in Skagway is priced at $49.00 per person

Sitka

We are choosing to be independent in Sitka 

We want to go to the National Historic Park and just explore on our own

We are renting e-bikes

Sitka has a Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest for $155.00 per person

They have a Wildlife Quest combined with a crab and salmon feast at a lodge for $249.00 per person

There is a fly fishing excursion which is sold out

Fortress of the Bear and the Alaska Raptor Center are animal rehabilitation excursions which many cruisers do- a combination of both costs $109.00 per person... a combination of both of those plus the Otter & Wildlife Quest is $215.00 per person.

There are excursions which highlight hiking, kayaking, and adventure vehicles at a variety of cost points

It is supposed to be beautiful in Sitka

The cruise ships dock many miles outside of the town- so shuttles are provided to get you into town if you are just wanting to explore on your own

Hope this helps you a bit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@erniebernie Sitka is one of my favorite ports to just get off and stroll. Definitely go do the totem poles in the forest and beware of bears. Learn about the art, the history, and how they continue it with future generations. Very cool.

Skagway - we have yet to get the rail way. 😞 But, I booked an excursion from the T. Advisor to go to a dog sled training site. The 9 year old loved it. Lots of cute puppies. I loved seeing the Yukon.

Include me with an @ to ask other questions. Happy to help. Getting ready for another Alaska cruise with another grandson in August!

• Like 2

Naturelovergirl  WOW thanks for all that information lots of amazing things to do. I think Halibit fishing will have to pass this time but so many more exciting things to do.I like the idea of ebikes in Sitka and Jeeps in Juneau between the 4 of us who are going im sure one of us coud work out how to drive with the steering wheel on wrong side of car:).   Teachtech the Totem poles are definatly on my list and Railway. Thank you both for your input much appreciated. Allison

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nightfires said:

Hi For those who have been to Sitka before how close is the Sea Otter cruise departure point from the ship? 
Thank you

Do you dock at the cruise port or tender into town? If you are out at the cruise port, there will be shuttles into town. 

What company are you going with? I went with Baranof tours (excellent!) and they leave from the dock at the municipal center, which is where the ship's shuttle drops you off. Best to check the website of the company you're going with or email/text them with questions.