Transatlantic to Europe

WVU_Neal

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm hoping the internet conversion is complete so Starlink is available as I'll have to work on both of them. So giddy 🙃🤭

Same. I work freelance, so I have a lot more flexibility in my job than a lot of people with more traditional office jobs, but even I can’t abandon my clients for 6 weeks completely, even with on-the-ground backup support and plenty of notice. 😂 I’m not as concerned about my second 14-day cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, as I expect it’ll be one of the ones up and running on Starlink by then if it isn’t already. But I’m slightly more nervous about what the internet status of the Zuiderdam will be for the TA cruise. We’ll see!

Funny story about rocky seas… My first ever cruise was a Panama Canal cruise the Christmas I was 15. That first night in the Caribbean after passing through the canal was stormy, and while I thought all the rocking and rolling was great fun, my Mom wasn’t as thrilled about it. While she was trying to sleep, things were sliding off surfaces and falling to the ground — I remember a glass shattered in their bathroom. According to my Dad, she was talking in her sleep, and one of the things she said was “who let Erdufylla drive?” (15 being the age when American kids are learning to drive, something that stressed my Mom out a lot.) It’s given us a bunch of good laughs over the years. 😅

Edited by erdufylla
  • Haha 1

Does your partner suffer from motion sickness, WVU_Neal? If so, it may not matter if seas are smooth. Some unfortunates get sea sick while the ship is in port. Once the ship leaves North America, there is no getting off until Europe.

We just complete our 3rd TA in April, Twice we were west bound in the fall and this time east bound in April. The latest trip we had 2 days where the Captain closed some of the outside decks. I did not think it was that rough, I was able to walk down the hallways without bouncing off the walls.

On our first, Barcelona to Miami it was pretty rough for a couple of days as we approached Bermuda, this was in October..

Speaking of the Master taking care of the ship and passengers, our last TA was Barcelona to Tampa in December (odd late season? or a dry-dock return, I don't remember) with RCI. Well, that was its intended route. But a storm was brewing south of Florida and we disembarked in ORLANDO! The line bussed those of us with flights to TMP, and helped any with close connections to re-book their air.

Oddly, I had put us on a later flight (I do not claim to be psychic!), so we even had time to eat in the very nice foodcourt there.

But the point being, we experienced no rough seas on that cruise, either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Apologies @WVU_Neal for hijacking your thread and allowing me to ask so many questions. I hope this helps you with your decision. 🤔

No apologies needed. The comments on this thread are way useful. When it dies down, I plan to forward the whole thing to my partner. In the slight hope that it will change her mind. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, erdufylla said:

... 😂ny story about rocky seas… My first ever cruise was a Panama Canal cruise the Christmas I was 15. That first night in the Caribbean after passing through the canal was stormy, and while I thought all the rocking and rolling was great fun, my Mom wasn’t as thrilled about it. While she was trying to sleep, things were sliding off surfaces and falling to the ground — I remember a glass shattered in their bathroom. According to my Dad, she was talking in her sleep, and one of the things she said was “who let Erdufylla drive?” (15 being the age when American kids are learning to drive, something that stressed my Mom out a lot.) It’s given us a bunch of good laughs over the years. 

That's cute!

5 hours ago, DesertRat46 said:

We just complete our 3rd TA in April, Twice we were west bound in the fall and this time east bound in April. The latest trip we had 2 days where the Captain closed some of the outside decks. I did not think it was that rough, I was able to walk down the hallways without bouncing off the walls.

On our first, Barcelona to Miami it was pretty rough for a couple of days as we approached Bermuda, this was in October..

Ours is Thanksgiving Nov 26-Dec 10, so just a tad later.