Viking River Ships - Hand Washing Stations?

CDNPolar

I searched and have not found anything on this topic.

It has been pre-pandemic since we were on a Viking River Ship and I don't remember...

Do the River Ships have hand washing stations outside the dining room?  Not just hand sanitizer, but actual soap and water stations?

If you read about Norovirus going around now you will also note that hand sanitizer does NOT kill Norovirus - in fact it does nothing.  You must wash your hands with soap.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Do the River Ships have hand washing stations outside the dining room?  Not just hand sanitizer, but actual soap and water stations?

No.

I have been on two Viking river cruises since the pandemic and eleven Viking river cruises in total and all of them had sanitiser dispensers at the entrance to the restaurant, but none had soap and water (and towels?).

• Thanks 1

Hello from the Viking Alsvin currently sailing down the Main! No hand washing stations, but there are two bathrooms right outside the dining room should you want to wash. Also, there isn't much buffet on the river so the risks that come with people touching tons of things without washing are somewhat lessened vs ocean cruises.

I'm assuming @CDNPolar isn't concerned about about washing his/her hands but other peoples. (People can wash their own hands in their cabin before meals.)

Lunch & dinner on Viking are waiter served, so there's no touching by other passengers.

34 minutes ago, pontac said:

I'm assuming @CDNPolar isn't concerned about about washing his/her hands but other peoples. (People can wash their own hands in their cabin before meals.)

Lunch & dinner on Viking are waiter served, so there's no touching by other passengers.

Why would you assume that I am not concerned about my own hands?  You are incorrect, as I am concerned with washing my hands.  Washing in your cabin does not mean that you don't touch other things on the way to the dining room.  I know that others don't care which is why I protect myself by washing my hands.

Breakfast especially where buffet is normal, the tongs and serving utensils are the area of concern that you are touching those and then going back to your table.  I want to MYSELF wash my hands after this.

Think me crazy or paranoid - whatever you wish - but we wash our hands at every restaurant we go to after ordering and touching the menus and before the food arrives.  We wash our hands still the minute we arrive home from anywhere out of the house.

Thank you to those that see this as something serious and sharing the location of the restrooms near the restaurant.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Breakfast especially where buffet is normal, the tongs and serving utensils are the area of concern that you are touching those and then going back to your table. 

Just as another bit of info, there are waiter-served options at breakfast as well if you'd like to limit touching of shared utensils further. Here's a screenshot of the menu we had today. I don't believe this changes. Screenshot_20230711-185815.thumb.png.0eda7198cd37d018110daed8e0fb0c67.png

• Thanks 1

CDNPolar- On Vantage last November they had thin plastic gloves that were mandatory to use going through the buffet area.  Maybe 75% complied.

You could bring a small ziplock bag of those, for other times when handwashing isn't available.  Happy sailing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ural guy said:

CDNPolar- On Vantage last November they had thin plastic gloves that were mandatory to use going through the buffet area.  Maybe 75% complied.

You could bring a small ziplock bag of those, for other times when handwashing isn't available.  Happy sailing.

Maybe it was the cost of those baggies that drove them into bankruptcy!  Not!!!

• Haha 1