Price drop: 7 night Alaska $299 or 14 night $598

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

I told my DH about this, and he is interested. 

The downside is getting decent airfare so late in the game.  And as mentioned, should the ship be delayed, we would have to scramble to get return air at the last minute (unless the cruise is cancelled a few days to a week before embarkation.  In that case, we would be stuck with one-way airfare over to Rome when we have no ship to go to.)  It's a gamble, but I like BB2014's attitude!!!   

I wonder if we could go ahead and book round trip, and when learning if the cruise is a go, we can cancel the return portion of air and get credit.  

I need to look at the rates on my TA's website.  The price in the OP's message is so much different than what's posted Haljo1935.

Air has been showing really good prices on ITA (Italian Airways), so depending on where you're traveling from, there are decent rates. Just remember to watch for Thanksgiving since you're departing (I assume) from the US. Typically lower rates when you check on Sundays.

Also, the rates I posted were screenshots taken with me logged in on HALs site, so YMMV. But definitely worth checking on. Port fees and taxes for the Rome->FLL leg are $140, so even if you did a $779 Verandah from OPs findings, you're at $919pp - still an excellent deal!

I would encourage you to log into HALs site to see what comes up specifically for you AND to compare with your TAs site.

I hope it works out - I'm rooting for you!

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Gut told me you were going to mention potential delay in Rome.

I didn't think about the prep work or limited provisioning going into drydock. 

I am on NS Oct 29 - Nov 9 RT Rome then again Nov 26 - Dec 10 Rome->FLL. Sounds like she's scheduled for dry dock the 17 days in between; I didn't check the calendar, but am sure thinking I should have. I do fly home in between. Ugh...

or spend the traveling around Europe a bit

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

If you're volunteering to sponsor that trip, I am in!!

Might not cost much more than the flight from/to Rome. It's off season find a nice place along the coast, or go up to Como.

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Might not cost much more than the flight from/to Rome. It's off season find a nice place along the coast, or go up to Como.

Do you have an inexpensive hotel recommendation, a relative, a summer house or an inside connection to George Clooney? I'd take a room in his guest house at Como...

The 2 flights for just myself (DH is only on 1st leg & friend is only on 2nd leg) is roughly $1800.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Do you have an inexpensive hotel recommendation, a relative, a summer house or an inside connection to George Clooney? I'd take a room in his guest house at Como...

The 2 flights for just myself (DH is only on 1st leg & friend is only on 2nd leg) is roughly $1800.

Alberto Firenze in Como around $83 a night in November.  Stayed there on a tour a few years ago, pre Covid. Just an example of how inexpensive places can be in Italy during the off season. Como is beautiful with snow.

9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Alberto Firenze in Como around $83 a night in November.  Stayed there on a tour a few years ago, pre Covid. Just an example of how inexpensive places can be in Italy during the off season. Como is beautiful with snow.

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking. I had not checked hotels beyond the couple nights I needed at end 1st leg & beg 2nd leg.

27 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Wait, what - am I going to have snow while I'm there?

During that time of year in the lakes country in Northern Italy it is certainly possible. You could also go over to Sicily or fly over to Malta. Might cost a bit more but avoids two long flights and gives you a few new travel.experiences. Reschedule your husband flight and the two of you can explore while waiting for you TA.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

During that time of year in the lakes country in Northern Italy it is certainly possible. You could also go over to Sicily or fly over to Malta. Might cost a bit more but avoids two long flights and gives you a few new travel.experiences. Reschedule your husband flight and the two of you can explore while waiting for you TA.

He cannot get any more time off work; getting almost 2 full weeks was a struggle. But it's a nice thought.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Air has been showing really good prices on ITA (Italian Airways), so depending on where you're traveling from, there are decent rates. Just remember to watch for Thanksgiving since you're departing (I assume) from the US. Typically lower rates when you check on Sundays.

Also, the rates I posted were screenshots taken with me logged in on HALs site, so YMMV. But definitely worth checking on. Port fees and taxes for the Rome->FLL leg are $140, so even if you did a $779 Verandah from OPs findings, you're at $919pp - still an excellent deal!

I would encourage you to log into HALs site to see what comes up specifically for you AND to compare with your TAs site.

I hope it works out - I'm rooting for you!

Still thinking!  

The price with TA is no different than with HAL (I have not yet checked the price after signing in.)

$1838 Total for 2 persons in a VH GTY.  We could upgrade to a higher Veranda with Club Orange.

With HIA, the total is $3478.

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Wait, what - am I going to have snow while I'm there?

Como is gorgeous.  We stayed there in October and the weather was perfect.  Not blazing hot and definitely not cold.  It was part of a land tour we did after flying into Zurich then taking the train to Lucerne and Lake Como, staying a few days in each place.  The train system is awesome.  So easy to get around and so much better than flying two transatlantics!  I don’t even like doing one.  😂

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Still thinking!  

The price with TA is no different than with HAL (I have not yet checked the price after signing in.)

$1838 Total for 2 persons in a VH GTY.  We could upgrade to a higher Veranda with Club Orange.

With HIA, the total is $3478.

I would log in on HAL just to see if there's a price difference. There might not be, but you can see for me, there definitely was. If there is, your TA can still get the lower rate for you - they just give HAL your Mariner number. Looking is free 😉

I did get Club Orange, with the great prices, it was a bargain. I wouldn't get HIA at that price, I really think if you do the math, that price difference doesn't work.

I hope it works- I'm excited for you!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ldtr said:

Because there is often work being done. On the last cruise before dry dock they are sometimes doing prep work to prepare for dry dock. They also may be more likely to run out of items and to be a little short staffed. Any crew leaving in the couple of weeks might not get replaced until after dry dock.

After dry dock they may be finishing up things that did not get finished on time, they also tend to have a higher percentage of new crew members so service might not be as good.

We were on the old Rotterdam right after it came out of drydock.  We had workers on board the entire time.  The rear pool was closed for the first 3 days and the promenade deck was closed almost every night at 5pm.  That was on top of other minor inconveniences.  Never again will I sail pre or post dry dock.

• Like 2

Checked after signing in and the price is the same.

I think you are correct that we would not get our money's worth with the HIA, but we like it for convenience.  I'd have to do the math.  If it included the gratuities, I think we would definitely do it. 

What type of things are they doing to the ship during dry dock?  We were just on in May and the ship looked wonderful!!!

I am also concerned about the weather in November.  I assume that Spain will still be warm enough (we have been to 2-3 Spanish ports), but what about the port in Portugal?  And then there are all those sea days at the end of the cruise.  Which there was at least one Caribbean stop before Ft. Lauderdale.

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I would log in on HAL just to see if there's a price difference. There might not be, but you can see for me, there definitely was. If there is, your TA can still get the lower rate for you - they just give HAL your Mariner number. Looking is free 😉

I did get Club Orange, with the great prices, it was a bargain. I wouldn't get HIA at that price, I really think if you do the math, that price difference doesn't work.

I hope it works- I'm excited for you!!

On 7/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Iamthesea said:

I think you are correct that we would not get our money's worth with the HIA, but we like it for convenience.  I'd have to do the math.  If it included the gratuities, I think we would definitely do it. 

After our recent 6 week Westerdam cruise (with HIA) we are not so sure about the "convenience."  HIA caused us more grief and not so sure we saved any money.  We were constantly overcharged for drinks and had to constantly visit (or msg) Guest Services to get the incorrect charges removed.  We also had hassles with our shoreexcursion credit which was only fixed after multiple visits to both the shore excursion desk (who blamed "accounting") and Guest Services (who said to talk to Shore Excursions).  Our HIA did not include grats but our cruse agency gave us far more than enough OBC to cover that (and more).

Hank