Mobility Scooter Hire in Brisbane

DW had foot reconstruction surgery in April and in June we sailed 10 nights on the Pacific Encounter out of Brisbane and didn’t get off at any of the ports. We'll see PNG another time. Yes, we ARE mad, but I think that was determined last year. 🤣

Last Tuesday we boarded the Pacific Encounter again for another 4 nights out of Brisbane as we had credits with a sail by date of early October. I did manage to tender ashore at Airlie Beach but DW remained onboard and yesterday we debarked in Brisbane and drove home. 

Th week prior to the cruise I had a touch of sciatica and knew I wouldn’t be able to push DW in a wheelchair this time. So on the Friday, only 4 days before we sailed, I rang Qld Rehab. I spoke with Yvette who couldn’t have been more helpful. For only $75 I hired an electric mobility scooter. I wish we had gotten one for the previous cruise also.

This time we were not in an accessible cabin which made showering a bit a challenge for DW. Once I removed the armrests from the scooter it easily fitted through the doorway into the cabin. We had requested the beds to be seperate and they were but I rearranged them and DW learnt how to reverse the scooter into the room and park it between the bed and the wall.

I hope that she’s fully recovered before we cruise again; I only have a few days of holiday left this year so I can’t see us boarding a ship again until next year, but I wouldn’t hesitate to hire a scooter from Qld Rehab again. 

https://www.qldrehab.com.au/contactqldrehab

• Like 3

This is how I rearranged the beds in our (obstructed) oceanview cabin on the Pacific Encounter. DW could back the scooter through the door and straight back to “park” it between the bed and the wall. The bed blocked access to the fridge but we didn’t need to use the fridge anyway.

7C0E2A5C-ED5E-4D16-85C7-C846F4FCB74B.thumb.jpeg.0bb9ee8207dd4b97125a342036bdf142.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Interesting find Sparky - I had a quick look at their website - as a private business it looks like non-QLD residents may be able to use their services as well.

We currently reside in NSW and had no issues hiring from them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I read that Carnival in USA is not permitting pax on mobility scooters off at ports.

We only had one port on this cruise, Airlie Beach, which is a tender port. DW could have attempted it with crutches but common sense prevailed and she remained on the ship while I went ashore, mainly to do a recky for our land-based family holiday next year. (Auntie is turning 80!)

One wonders if they’d run afoul of anti discrimination laws if that tried that here. 🤔

4 hours ago, resordanis said:

Hi all, Does anyone know of a company in Sydney that hires mobility scooters for Sydney. Have a friend who might need one for a cruise, so I thought I would ask. Thanks

I don't know anything about the companies but these came up in a Google search https://www.rpmobility.com.au/mobility-scooter-hire-sydney-australia/

https://www.wheelchairstogo.com.au

https://www.sydneymobilityrentals.com.au

And many more - so worth your friend having a look around.