Docking in Rome...time to train (Royal)

bigsky

Has anyone docked in Rome (Civitavecchia) and taken the train on their own? Says we dock at 7am. I'm thinking if we get the shuttle from Royal, maybe that will give us priority than going to the train on our own.

What time were you able to get off the ship if you did it alone? With Royal shuttle?

Not sure if what time I should try and get train tickets or wait to get them at the station.

Thanks!

It's fine to buy Frecce (fast, non stop train) tickets in advance, but there's no point in purchasing the regional tickets in advance because they never sell out and there's no price incentive to buy early.

The first Frecce you could make isn't until 9:16 (arrives Rome Termini at 10:03), so you'd have plenty of time to make that one.

In addition to the cruise line shuttle there is a port shuttle bus for 6 euro that takes you from your ship/terminal directly to the train station in Civitavecchia.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

It's fine to buy Frecce (fast, non stop train) tickets in advance, but there's no point in purchasing the regional tickets in advance because they never sell out and there's no price incentive to buy early.

The first Frecce you could make isn't until 9:16 (arrives Rome Termini at 10:03), so you'd have plenty of time to make that one.

In addition to the cruise line shuttle there is a port shuttle bus for 6 euro that takes you from your ship/terminal directly to the train station in Civitavecchia.

Trying to enter info to buy tickets. What is the place I'm going from and to?

1 minute ago, bigsky said:

yes they do

That's a plus. You should be able to make an earlier train than the Frecce since I think you want to get to Rome as early as you can. 

I'd just get off the ship as soon as its cleared (shouldn't take too long) and take either the RCCL shuttle or the bus, whichever appears to be up and running first.

Then once you get to the train station, you can buy your tickets for the next available train. There is a ticket office or you can also buy them in the Tabaccheria (shop).

If you think you'll be using the buses or metro in Rome to get around, purchase the BIRG ticket. It includes R/T fare to Rome and back to Civi plus use of all buses and metro in Rome for the day (HOHO buses not included).

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's a plus. You should be able to make an earlier train than the Frecce since I think you want to get to Rome as early as you can. 

I'd just get off the ship as soon as its cleared (shouldn't take too long) and take either the RCCL shuttle or the bus, whichever appears to be up and running first.

Then once you get to the train station, you can buy your tickets for the next available train. There is a ticket office or you can also buy them in the Tabaccheria (shop).

If you think you'll be using the buses or metro in Rome to get around, purchase the BIRG ticket. It includes R/T fare to Rome and back to Civi plus use of all buses and metro in Rome for the day (HOHO buses not included).

I'm trying to get the train that's non stop...express? How often does the Frecce leave? Are the trains before that not non stop? So many questions. Had this all done with a tour, but that may not happen now. I just want to take a non stop train to the Colosseum. We'll just visit the sites there. It's going to be hot and miserable. Need to get this done asap

There is no train that departs from Civitavecchia and has a stop at Colosseo, as there is not a train station there. Only a metro station.

The Frecce is the fast train (nonstop). It takes 47 minutes to get from Civi to Rome. The one at 9:16 arrives at Termini at 10:04. There are no earlier Frecce.

The Regionale (regional) trains travel between Civi and Rome regularly all day, have more stops, and take about 1hr 15 minutes. However, IF you could catch an earlier train, you could be in Rome that much earlier, e.g.,

7:44am Regionale arrives Rome at 8:50

7:58am Regionale arrives Rome at 9:18

I think the NonStop you're referring to is the CIVI EXPRESS, which is basically for cruise pax. It only stops in S Pietro and Ostiense.   The big issue for most people is that it only runs once per day in each direction, not allowing for enough time in Rome, or, it doesn't meet their port times.

leave Civi 9:07am, arrive Ostiense10:10 (with the 6E bus you depart at 8:40am to catch the 9:07) 

leave Ostiense 4:30pm , arrive Civi 5:20pm.  

On the trenitalia site, look at Civitavecchia Porto and Roma Ostiense.

Civitavecchia Express: non-stop train dedicated to cruise passengers | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

If you want to leave earlier and/or return later, look at the other trains.

As a long time DIY guy, I do think we all have a propensity to overplan and overcomplicate.  When it comes to getting Rome, on our own, we simply get off the ship ASAP, and head to the train station by whatever means is available (including walking).  I still recall one cruise where we were off the ship around 7am, the port shuttle was not due to start until 8:30, and most folks simply waited!  DW and walked out of the port (it can be done at Civitavecchia, were at the station about 7:30 and on a train a few minutes later.  

We are big fans of the so-called BIRG ticket (which can be bought at various small shops/kiosks

or the station) which includes round trip train to Rome (on any regional train) and all-days unlimited use of Rome's public transit system (buses and metro).  This BIRG ticket is good for 5 zones although you do not need to know this zone stuff if you buy your ticket in Civitavecchia and are just planning to go to Rome.  Not sure of the current cost but would guess it is about 12 Euros.   We do not pay any attention to the train schedule (going to Rome) as we simply take the first train after we arrive at the station!  If you have no interest in the public transit in Rome, then you should just buy a normal train ticket (slightly less money than the BIRG).

As to the return, we do carefully plan, check the schedule in advance, and check it again at the train station in Rome. Before we leave for our day.  We like to plan on being back at Civitavecchia about 2 hours early which leaves some time for a "Plan B" in the event that something goes wrong,

Hank

P.S,  If you want to impress your friends, BIRG means Biglietto Intagrato Regionale Giornallero.

PPS.  Make sure to validate your BIRG or train ticket in the machines at the station..before you board the train (first train for the Birg ticket).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As a long time DIY guy, I do think we all have a propensity to overplan and overcomplicate.  When it comes to getting Rome, on our own, we simply get off the ship ASAP, and head to the train station by whatever means is available (including walking).  I still recall one cruise where we were off the ship around 7am, the port shuttle was not due to start until 8:30, and most folks simply waited!  DW and walked out of the port (it can be done at Civitavecchia, were at the station about 7:30 and on a train a few minutes later.  

We walked too. I think we asked at the station what ticket to buy. We were going to the Vatican. 

14 hours ago, bigsky said:

Trying to enter info to buy tickets. What is the place I'm going from and to?

From Civitavecchia - all stations ('though there's only the one)

To Rome Termini

I think the fare is the same to any Rome station, tho' it's much much more convenient to alight (or board for the return to Civi.) at Rome San Pietro (then 15 - 20 minute walk to the Vatican) or at Rome Ostiensa (then two stops on the metro for the Colosseum).

JB 🙂

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

To Rome Termini

I think the fare is the same to any Rome station, tho' it's much much more convenient to alight (or board for the return to Civi.) at Rome San Pietro (then 15 - 20 minute walk to the Vatican) or at Rome Ostiensa (then two stops on the metro for the Colosseum).

JB 🙂

Thank you

On 7/21/2023 at 3:26 AM, John Bull said:

To Rome Termini

JB 🙂

Another question...I went to the Trenitalia website. I put in from Civitavecchia Porto to Roma Ostiense. I want to get to the Colosseum though. Do I take something else to get there? You said two more stops. This isn't the Civi Express is it? I've been trying to figure out how to book that with no luck. People say train, metro, subway. Confused..

You have a similar conversation going in the Civi/Rome Train thread at the top of the page and there were a couple of responses with the subway info.  This was eurocruisers response:

" get off at Roma Ostiense and follow signs for the Piramide metro station (there is an underground passage).  Take the metro, Line B, direction Jonio or Rebibbia, for two stops to Colosseo. "

(personally, I took the easy option.... taxi )

3 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Another question...I went to the Trenitalia website. I put in from Civitavecchia Porto to Roma Ostiense. I want to get to the Colosseum though. Do I take something else to get there? You said two more stops. This isn't the Civi Express is it? I've been trying to figure out how to book that with no luck. People say train, metro, subway. Confused..

That's two stops on the metro / subway / call-it-what-you-will

Train direct  from Civi to Ostiensa (train terminates further on at Termini station).

Follow the clear directions from Ostiensa station to the attached Piramide metro station, & take the blue metro line (end destination Rebibbia or Conca D-Oro) two stops to Colosseo station.

If you took the Regional train from Civi., unlimited same-day travel on Rome's metro and fare-stage buses (not ho-ho's) is included with your train ticket. I don't know whether that's included with Express train tickets.

If you don't pre-purchase your train tickets (difficult, because you can only buy from about 7 days ahead) and there's a line at Civi station ticket office, buy from the newsstand at Civi station (same price)  .

Train tickets are un-dated. Be sure to validate (activate) your ticket on the platform at Civi. (our first time we didn't, expecting there to be machines on the train - so we spent the whole journey worrying that there'd be a ticket inspector on the train -there wasn't)

If you haven't pre-purchased your Colosseum tickets (a three-site ticket for Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and the Forum) get off the metro at the first station, Circo Massimo, and walk toward the Colosseum (10-minute walk) down Via Di S. Gregorio. On the way you'll pass on your left the entrance to Palatine Hill.

Lines there are short, so buy your 3-site tickets there - altho on a port-of-call visit you won't have time to visit  Palatine Hill as well as the other major sights.

Continue down to the Colosseum, smugly walk past the long line for tickets and join the line for security.

The Forum is right across the road from the Colosseum 🙂

https://www.rome.info/transport/public-transport/metro/

https://www.rometoolkit.com/transport/rome_train.htm

(good Rome info on other pages of that website)

JB 🙂

57 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Train direct  from Civi to Ostiensa (train terminates further on at Termini station).

Follow the clear directions from Ostiensa station to the attached Piramide metro station, & take the blue metro line (end destination Rebibbia or Conca D-Oro) two stops to Colosseo station.

If you took the Regional train from Civi., unlimited same-day travel on Rome's metro and fare-stage buses (not ho-ho's) is included with your train ticket. I don't know whether that's included with Express train tickets.

If you don't pre-purchase your train tickets (difficult, because you can only buy from about 7 days ahead) and there's a line at Civi station ticket office, buy from the newsstand at Civi station (same price)  .

Train tickets are un-dated. Be sure to validate (activate) your ticket on the platform at Civi. (our first time we didn't, expecting there to be machines on the train - so we spent the whole journey worrying that there'd be a ticket inspector on the train -there wasn't)

If you haven't pre-purchased your Colosseum tickets (a three-site ticket for Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and the Forum) get off the metro at the first station, Circo Massimo, and walk toward the Colosseum (10-minute walk) down Via Di S. Gregorio. On the way you'll pass on your left the entrance to Palatine Hill.

Lines there are short, so buy your 3-site tickets there - altho on a port-of-call visit you won't have time to visit  Palatine Hill as well as the other major sights.

Continue down to the Colosseum, smugly walk past the long line for tickets and join the line for security.

JB 🙂

Yes, we have a tour booked for the Colosseum and they meet at the metro.

So return, we get back on the metro to the Termini and take that to the Civi port ?

You can do that, or you can take the metro to Pyramide and the train back to Civitavecchia from the adjacent Roma Ostiense station.

If you plan to use a Frecce train you must go to Termini, they don't stop at the other stations.

There is one seat assigned train from Roma Ostiense to Civitavecchia in the afternoon, the 16:07 IC (4:07 PM) that arrives to Civitavecchia at 16:45 (4:45 PM).  The last minute fare for this train is 11,50 euro in second class or 15,50 euro in first class.  This train makes no stops between Ostiense and Civitavecchia.

Edited by euro cruiser

If all you're interested in seeing is the Colosseum and the Forum (and if so you'll also have time for Palatine Hill) then back to Ostiense station makes sense - it avoids the very large "zoo" that is Termini.

The 4.05 train that Eurocruiser mentioned is about the right time for return to ships which are scheduled to sail no earlier than 6pm  / back-on-board time of 5.30pm .

Trains to Civi at that time of day are packed with cruisers - everyone squeezes on but you'd be very lucky indeed to get a seat when you board at Ostiense.

11.50 euros - or even 15.50 - for pre-booked assigned seats would be money well-spent 🙂

Other alternatives are Termini station if you end up somewhere near the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps, or San Pietro (for most but not all trains) if you end up at the Vatican.

Carry with you a note of return train times from Termini and Ostiense and San Pietro.

JB 🙂

23 hours ago, John Bull said:

If all you're interested in seeing is the Colosseum and the Forum (and if so you'll also have time for Palatine Hill) then back to Ostiense station makes sense - it avoids the very large "zoo" that is Termini.

The 4.05 train that Eurocruiser mentioned is about the right time for return to ships which are scheduled to sail no earlier than 6pm  / back-on-board time of 5.30pm .

Trains to Civi at that time of day are packed with cruisers - everyone squeezes on but you'd be very lucky indeed to get a seat when you board at Ostiense.

11.50 euros - or even 15.50 - for pre-booked assigned seats would be money well-spent 🙂

Other alternatives are Termini station if you end up somewhere near the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps, or San Pietro (for most but not all trains) if you end up at the Vatican.

Carry with you a note of return train times from Termini and Ostiense and San Pietro.

JB 🙂

We have reservations for a tour for the Colosseum/Forum/Hill...We planned to skip the Vatican this time. I'm not pushing to do too much and the heat I know will take a lot out of us. Our tour is for 11:15 meeting at the metro when we get off. Not sure if we'll want to grab a taxi to the Trevi fountain or not. This is our first time. Don't want to regret not going though. If we do, I'll keep that in mind. 

We do want to grab the train about 4.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, euro cruiser said:

You can do that, or you can take the metro to Pyramide and the train back to Civitavecchia from the adjacent Roma Ostiense station.

If you plan to use a Frecce train you must go to Termini, they don't stop at the other stations.

There is one seat assigned train from Roma Ostiense to Civitavecchia in the afternoon, the 16:07 IC (4:07 PM) that arrives to Civitavecchia at 16:45 (4:45 PM).  The last minute fare for this train is 11,50 euro in second class or 15,50 euro in first class.  This train makes no stops between Ostiense and Civitavecchia.

Thank you....looks like you really have to plan out your day to make sure you get back to the station at a certain time. Never have been there, don't know what we'll want to do after the Colosseum tour.

The Caribbean is so much easier to plan! haha....probably because we've been there like 17 times.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

All makes sense now  : ) I was confused as some said to get off Ostiensa  and others said Termini...doesn't matter and both have two more stops to get to the Colosseum via blue line.

You're full of information which I appreciate for a first timer. Hopefully we'll want to come back and will be much easier next time!

Thank you!

People mentioned Ostiense because you had a conversation going in the CIVI EXPRESS thread. That train only stops at SPietro and Ostiense.     

But if you take a regional train in order to leave earlier, Termini would most likely be your stop.

I think you will find the process much easier once you're there.  Please post a report of your day when you return from the cruise. It will be helpful for those folks still in the planning phase. 

Actually, if you take a regional train it makes more sense to get off at Ostiense, not Termini, if you are going to the Colosseum because (a) it gets to that station first, (b) the trains slow down significantly to enter Termini, and (c) the distance from the Lazio train tracks at Termini to the metro station is a three block walk.

I thought I posted this map earlier but maybe it was on another thread.  You can see that the Ostiense train station and the Piramide metro station are connected, but not the same station:  mappa ferro e tram (giu 2022) (atac.roma.it)