Juneau Glacier Helicopter and Dog Sled Excursion

We’re cruising RC next June 2024.  There are six adults and one 10 yr old child.  Juneau is a port call ( 1:30pm - 10:00pm) and we are looking at an excursion offering a helicopter ride to Hubbard Glacier and then to the Dog Sled Tour.  There are excursions listed on RC’s website but currently none are showing (for 2024) which offer the helicopter and dog sled option.  I am assuming the various helicopter companies only post for the current season?

Has anyone done this excursion?  Would appreciate your comments and the company you used.  Were you able to book this through Royal or did you book on your own?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

CJ

We had a similar excursion booked on our own on land before a cruise in 2018 that was cancelled due to weather so we re-booked through Royal last minute and did dog sledding Skagway.

This doesn't help with your exact question but it was an amazing experience. Just figured I'd share that and also mention that I would look to book on your own.

We found the exact company Royal was using in Skagway and tried to book through them directly but they said they had no openings (b/c Royal had them booked up) so we had to pay extra due to the last minute nature and it being a once in a lifetime type trip for us at the time.

Alaska is expensive as-is and we haven't booked anything except that through Royal in a very long time. If you're not comfortable doing so, that's cool too, everyone has their own preferences and comfort level.

We booked directly, don't know which one since my wife did that, and it was great.  We were the first trip of the day.  The cruise line excursions used the same company but were later. 

The issue with your port day is that you don't arrive until 1pm.  That later arrival might impact availably to book something.  Before going down the rabbit hole of looking at booking directly, I would check how many ships are in port.  If there are a number ships in port that day, definitely book with the cruise line,   

3 minutes ago, wdwkings said:

If there are a number ships in port that day, definitely book with the cruise line

I'm not following the logic here. Why would number of ships make you book through RC (assuming it will cost extra)? Either you can get a direct reservation or you can't.

16 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm not following the logic here. Why would number of ships make you book through RC (assuming it will cost extra)? Either you can get a direct reservation or you can't.

it is easy, demand for the product.  The more ships in port and the larger that those ships are, the more demand for the excursion.  Very simple logic of supply and demand. Only so many helicopters, a specific number of seats on each aircraft and only so many pilots to do the excursions, so once they are booked, they are gone.

Each cruise line will book a number of spots because they know that if they have 4,000 guests on that sailing, then they can expect a certain number of guests based on historical data from prior sailings.  They will lock those excursions in place, even if no one has purchased that excursion, yet.  It is basically locking the reservation in place for the cruise and locking out the general public, or a direct booking.  

I'm always a fan of booking directly and we have done that on a number of occasions.  Coming into Juneau at 1 pm, especially if there are lots of ship/people there for the day, decreases a single persons ability to negotiate a spot and price.  

Edited by wdwkings

2 minutes ago, wdwkings said:

I'm always a fan of booking directly and we have done that on a number of occasions.  Coming into Juneau at 1 pm, especially if there are lots of ship/people there for the day, decreases a single persons ability to negotiate a spot and price.

Maybe I'm still missing something. Once the excursion is available via RC, why wouldn't you still attempt to book it directly? Either they will have a spot or they won't. All it takes is a phone call (or clicking through a website). If they don't, you book through RC. Or book through RC first to ensure a spot and then try direct since you can always cancel for a refund in the cruise planner.

Those tours are running 1000 per person this year and no discount for kids. But cheaper if you don't book thru the ship. It is a 15 minute ride up, about 1 hour at the camp and 15 minutes back in the helicopter.

Coastal helicopters has it for 650 per person this year so a big savings if you book directly instead of thru the ship.

I would call them to see when bookings will open for the 2024 season. It will probably be the same for other operators and even ship excursions.

• Like 1

Coastal Helicopters, TemscoAir and NorthstarTrekking are the primary vendors for dog sledding. Check their web sites for info then email them for further information.

Be sure to get specifics on the timing; how much is travel time, how much time on the sled.

It gets weathered out frequently, so people often book Skagway for a back up plan. 

• Like 1