Port Added to Itinerary

Tutone56

Received an email today from NCL informing us that they are adding Newport, RI to our itinerary for our upcoming cruise to New England and Canada on September 3 on the Escape out of NYC.  We will have one less sea day as a result.  I worry that they might take Bar Harbor away since the residents there are not too happy with the onslaught of tourists.  Not that we've taken a lot of cruises but it seems kind of unusual to me.  Is this something that happens occasionally?

I also got an email this morning, with a port added to the October Panama cruise on the Encore.  A stop in Manzanillo was added to replace a sea day.  I’m happy to have the extra port, but like you I’m feeling a bit suspicious that this is coming in advance of a cancellation.  I hope not.

• Like 1

Newport, RI is a TENDER only port - ship(s) calling there will stop & anchor in the harbor, for that last leg - a 10 minutes ride (actual time once underway) to the town's pier (and, it is beautiful, been there via cruises but done a # of road trips - waterfront is nice, shops & stores across the street and just a few blocks away)

It's NOT fun for the *Away/Plus ships sailing at/near full double occupancies to tender, using ship's lifeboats ... these are large lifeboats but (still) can tender between 150 to 250 (max permitted capacity is higher) plus boarding and getting off is slow & time consuming.  It is not our "usual" GSC private island double decker tender - and, if it is windy and sea state is just slightly not glass smooth - have fun riding and hold on tight, take your seasick or motion sickness meds earlier.  Hold on with both hands on the railings while making that quick transfer down the 2 or 3 steps on the ramp as the boat's vertical (up & down) movement can make it very challenging to safely go across.  Been there & done that.  

Plan accordingly and enjoy the boat ride from the mother ship - you will want to invoke your priority tendering if not booked on a NCL shorex.  Have fun going ashore & coming back ... or, stay onboard & relax, enjoy the late summer on the sun decks, etc.   Cheers 😎