Important Posting Info…Who Knew

laudergayle

2 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Ii went looking for this thread last night and thought the reason I couldn’t find it was Jose Cuervo’s fault or maybe it was Jack 🤨. Wanted to share it with DH as we are stockholders.  Finally assumed it was pulled for reasons known by only those behind the curtain..

it was an informative thread and thank you for posting, sorry it was yanked.  I’m not fluent in stock markets but it seemed odd to me that,  as I read it, all expectations were met or exceeded, but the future projection brought it down in a rather dramatic fashion.  Would have liked to hear the takes of those more knowledgeable in this than I.  Big sigh.

You've pretty much already identified what happened yesterday. To put it simply, in addition to current results Wall Street places a lot of weight on future earnings guidance projected by the corporation. If those projections are not what the analysts were expecting the stock can take a hit even if current results were in line with expectations.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

and onboard spend.  I guess the traders pay more attention to the numbers than the explanation

Actually what you mention is interesting. I come from a hotel background and you can have Average Daily Rate, Occupancy, but the most important measure is RPAR…Revenue Per Available Room.  Makes you wonder why cruuse lines don’t measure in terms of Revenue Per Available Cabin.

38 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes...I was the poster who pointed out the copyright violation as being the likely cause of the thread deletion, and that was later confirmed by Cruise Critic staff.

Oh, I’m so sorry for thanking the wrong person.  They took down the thread(s) so fast, I was going by memory of the monotone/sepia image for your screen name.

A little late, Thank YOU for setting my mind st ease last night.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As someone who was occasionally paid for writing I don't take copyright violations lightly. When I put my time, effort and expertise into my work I expected to get full benefit of any royalties due me, which could only happen when the publisher got full payment from those reading my work.

Yeah, I understand that…just needed a little education to remind me.  Thanks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Oh, I’m so sorry for thanking the wrong person.  They took down the thread(s) so fast, I was going by memory of the monotone/sepia image for your screen name.

A little late, Thank YOU for setting my mind st ease last night.

I wasn't a bit concerned that you had named the wrong poster. If the other poster hadn't posted that it wasn't them I would have never said anything. Once it was mentioned I thought it was appropriate to say it was me.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Makes you wonder why cruuse lines don’t measure in terms of Revenue Per Available Cabin.

They certainly know what that is, and I've seen it or variations of it mentioned in earnings reports from time to time. It's so easy to calculate or at least estimate from the other data that is typically made public that it really doesn't provide a lot of additional insight into the numbers.

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

They certainly know what that is, and I've seen it or variations of it mentioned in earnings reports from time to time. It's so easy to calculate or at least estimate from the other data that is typically made public that it really doesn't provide a lot of additional insight into the numbers.

Yes, but it seems that traders went bonkers on an occupancy % and had that been balanced with published higher revenue projections (RevPAC) the stock price would have been less volatile.  

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Yes, but it seems that traders went bonkers on an occupancy % and had that been balanced with published higher revenue projections (RevPAC) the stock price would have been less volatile.  

If it were important to them they could have gotten a reasonable estimate based on the numbers that were published. They know the revenue projections, they know how many cabins are available and they know the occupancy projections.

13 hours ago, laudergayle said:

So yesterday I started a thread about NCL stock along with commentary and color around NCL strategy.  I was locked out of the thread and eventually the thread was removed.  I inquired and found out that this was the reason.  @Karaboudjan was spot on when he suggested that I posted copyright material.  Just sharing for those of us who were not aware.  And thanks JoanP for explaining.

Hi there,

I took a look at that topic and it is no longer visible.  This seems to be related to the fact that many posts on it, including the original post, included copyrighted material, which is against our rules.  We can't publish material for which others hold a copyright, and we do request that you link to such material instead.

JoanP
Community Support Assistant

Posting copyrighted material w/o either permission, or adequate links to the original has been an internet rule (law?) since at least 1998.

If the material is behind a paywall, then only a small excerpt may be posted, not the whole article.

The large content providers will come after a site like CC if they don't actively follow the rules.

35 minutes ago, omahabob said:

I'm trying to remember what copyrighted material got posted. All I can remember is links.

I think that just about every other post had copywritten material. Stock charts. Quotes from news sites. Screen captures of financial and news sites. All of which could cause CC legal problems. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Posting copyrighted material w/o either permission, or adequate links to the original has been an internet rule (law?) since at least 1998.

If the material is behind a paywall, then only a small excerpt may be posted, not the whole article.

The large content providers will come after a site like CC if they don't actively follow the rules.

And now more of us know this.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that just about every other post had copywritten material. Stock charts. Quotes from news sites. Screen captures of financial and news sites. All of which could cause CC legal problems. 

Not under the fair use provision. But then, CC would definitely not be the first site to misunderstand those rules. Anyway, what's done is done.

I don’t see any copyright data for these stats.  Looking good as best I can tell….

I might have to jump back into this stock….

As an aside, toward the bottom of the quote by Sommer, he states they’ve “de-risk(ed)” their balance sheet.  “De-risk”?  Never heard that as a term in stating they have backed off the precipice of bankruptcy.  I’m going to use that next time I’m on a date with someone who I don’t want to go out with again.  “Thank you for your time, but I need to de-risk interfacing with you again”!

Second Quarter 2023 Highlights:

• Company met or exceeded guidance for all key metrics in the second quarter.
  • Generated total revenue of $2.2 billion, a record for the Company and up 33% compared to the same period in 2019, and GAAP net income of $86.1 million, or EPS of $0.20.
  • Achieved Adjusted EBITDA of approximately $515 million and Adjusted EPS of $0.30, above guidance of $485 million and $0.25 respectively. Second quarter outperformance was driven by solid revenue performance, lower costs and favorable fuel pricing.
  • Occupancy improved sequentially to approximately 105% in the quarter, in line with guidance and reflecting the completion of our phased ramp-up.
  • Total revenue per Passenger Cruise Day increased approximately 15% both as reported and in constant currency, compared to the same period in 2019.
  • Continued to demonstrate results of ongoing margin enhancement initiative including sequential improvement in operating costs. Gross Cruise Costs per Capacity Day was approximately $315 in the quarter. Adjusted Net Cruise Costs excluding Fuel per Capacity Day in constant currency was approximately $156, lower than the prior quarter and guidance of $159.
  • Cumulative booked position for the remainder of 2023 continues to be at record levels and at higher pricing. The Company remains within its optimal booked position of approximately 60-65% on a 12-month forward basis.
  • Advance ticket sales balance increased versus the prior quarter reaching a record $3.5 billion, approximately $167 million higher than prior quarter and 56% above the second quarter of 2019.
  • $2.4 billion of liquidity at quarter-end, including boost from a $500 million return of cash collateral from a credit card processor.
  • Full year 2023 Adjusted EPS guidance improved $0.05 to approximately $0.80 reflecting second quarter outperformance and continued strong results expected for the remainder of 2023. Adjusted EBITDA guidance improved to the range of $1.85 to $1.95 billion. Updated guidance reflects approximately $30 million of headwinds from higher interest and fuel expense for the back half of the year.

“We are pleased to report strong second quarter results, in which we met or exceeded guidance on all key metrics, allowing us to improve our full year outlook for Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EPS,” said Harry Sommer, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “The continued strength in the demand environment is evident not only in this quarter’s results, in which we generated a meaningful increase in pricing on 19% capacity growth compared to 2019, but also in our forward booked position which is within our optimal range and at higher pricing. As we look to the near future, we are focused on sustaining this momentum by capitalizing on the robust demand environment, strategically enhancing our guest experience, rightsizing our cost base through our ongoing margin enhancement initiative, building excitement for the upcoming launches of Norwegian Viva and Regent’s Seven Seas Grandeur and ultimately charting a path to reduce leverage and de-risk our balance sheet.”

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t see any copyright data for these stats.  Looking good as best I can tell….

I might have to jump back into this stock….

As an aside, toward the bottom of the quote by Sommer, he states they’ve “de-risk(ed)” their balance sheet.  “De-risk”?  Never heard that as a term in stating they have backed off the precipice of bankruptcy.  I’m going to use that next time I’m on a date with someone who I don’t want to go out with again.  “Thank you for your time, but I need to de-risk interfacing with you again”!

Second Quarter 2023 Highlights:

• Company met or exceeded guidance for all key metrics in the second quarter.
  • Generated total revenue of $2.2 billion, a record for the Company and up 33% compared to the same period in 2019, and GAAP net income of $86.1 million, or EPS of $0.20.
  • Achieved Adjusted EBITDA of approximately $515 million and Adjusted EPS of $0.30, above guidance of $485 million and $0.25 respectively. Second quarter outperformance was driven by solid revenue performance, lower costs and favorable fuel pricing.
  • Occupancy improved sequentially to approximately 105% in the quarter, in line with guidance and reflecting the completion of our phased ramp-up.
  • Total revenue per Passenger Cruise Day increased approximately 15% both as reported and in constant currency, compared to the same period in 2019.
  • Continued to demonstrate results of ongoing margin enhancement initiative including sequential improvement in operating costs. Gross Cruise Costs per Capacity Day was approximately $315 in the quarter. Adjusted Net Cruise Costs excluding Fuel per Capacity Day in constant currency was approximately $156, lower than the prior quarter and guidance of $159.
  • Cumulative booked position for the remainder of 2023 continues to be at record levels and at higher pricing. The Company remains within its optimal booked position of approximately 60-65% on a 12-month forward basis.
  • Advance ticket sales balance increased versus the prior quarter reaching a record $3.5 billion, approximately $167 million higher than prior quarter and 56% above the second quarter of 2019.
  • $2.4 billion of liquidity at quarter-end, including boost from a $500 million return of cash collateral from a credit card processor.
  • Full year 2023 Adjusted EPS guidance improved $0.05 to approximately $0.80 reflecting second quarter outperformance and continued strong results expected for the remainder of 2023. Adjusted EBITDA guidance improved to the range of $1.85 to $1.95 billion. Updated guidance reflects approximately $30 million of headwinds from higher interest and fuel expense for the back half of the year.

“We are pleased to report strong second quarter results, in which we met or exceeded guidance on all key metrics, allowing us to improve our full year outlook for Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EPS,” said Harry Sommer, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. “The continued strength in the demand environment is evident not only in this quarter’s results, in which we generated a meaningful increase in pricing on 19% capacity growth compared to 2019, but also in our forward booked position which is within our optimal range and at higher pricing. As we look to the near future, we are focused on sustaining this momentum by capitalizing on the robust demand environment, strategically enhancing our guest experience, rightsizing our cost base through our ongoing margin enhancement initiative, building excitement for the upcoming launches of Norwegian Viva and Regent’s Seven Seas Grandeur and ultimately charting a path to reduce leverage and de-risk our balance sheet.”

The point is you are supposed to add the link to the full article or web site, because you could change words in the quote to change the meaning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

Earnings reports are not copyrighted, and are designed for public distribution.

You should provide a link though, as a courtesy, if for nothing else.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just trying to be sure it's allowed.

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

I was commenting as to legality. I didn't say it was allowed here. CC seems to be overly paranoid about this stuff.

Cruise Critic's guidelines are quite clear. The material that was posted from the WSJ's website clearly violated the guidelines, hence the deletion of the thread, but CC's guidelines permit the posting of cruise line press releases with indication of the source. See the last paragraph below, which I have highlighted in bold print:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/

Copyright Infringement

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

I'm surprised that the issue that got the mod's attention was copyright based. I figured the thread got removed for being off-topic as this is the NCL board, not the NCLH board which I guess you find over at Corporate Critic.

• Haha 1