Sorta LIVE— Oasis of the Seas — 9 days from Jersey- 8/4/23

8 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

FWIW, I saw only two tractor trailer trucks and no refueling barge while we were in PC. 

May not be the same every trip.

Last September when we did this trip someone asked the captain at the Q&A why we aren’t in PC longer and he indicated that they can’t get here faster ( long run and fighting the current all the way) and it would need to be a day longer itinerary. Then they could go slower and get to PC in the AM.

mac_tlc

I have a nine-night Bahamas cruise booked on MSC from NY in January. That's exactly what they're doing. Two full days at sea before PC, then arriving at PC 8am till 7pm. The next day is a full day in Miami (8-10), then the usual private island (8-10), and Nassau (11-8). Last two days at sea. I like the itinerary versus the usual seven-day Bahamas cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

A few pictures of Oasis and Labadee from the Windjammer. Yah, I know I said earlier that I was not going to the Windjammer, but at 12:30 we needed food (😂) and Portside BBQ, Boardwalk Dog House, Johnny Rockets and Playmakers don’t open until 2:00. 

At least it wasn’t crowded and we found a seat in the back.

IMG_4446.jpeg

IMG_4447.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg

This is the real reason we stayed on board —- a pool with almost no one in it !!

IMG_4441.jpeg

Can’t beat an empty ship! We love staying onboard, especially in ports we have been to sooooo many times, just to enjoy the quit vibe! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CruisinBanka said:

Can’t beat an empty ship! We love staying onboard, especially in ports we have been to sooooo many times, just to enjoy the quit vibe! 

I get up at 4:30 AM and get to experience an empty ship every day.... for a little while.🙂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

A few pictures of Oasis and Labadee from the Windjammer. Yah, I know I said earlier that I was not going to the Windjammer, but at 12:30 we needed food (😂) and Portside BBQ, Boardwalk Dog House, Johnny Rockets and Playmakers don’t open until 2:00. 

At least it wasn’t crowded and we found a seat in the back.

IMG_4446.jpeg

IMG_4447.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg

This is the real reason we stayed on board —- a pool with almost no one in it !!

IMG_4441.jpeg

My favorite way to spend a port day!  In the empty pool!!  Hoping for many people to get off the ship in both ports the next two weeks!!

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I get up at 4:30 AM and get to experience an empty ship every day.... for a little while.🙂

I was walking around at 7 this morning and it was wonderful. Not sure about that 4:30 thing though! 😜

A few morning pix:

IMG_4455.jpeg

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4459.jpeg

IMG_4458.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 11

11 hours ago, bayportkat said:

Not sure if you know the answer, but can you get water from the Freestyle machines?  I remember in the past you could (without a soda/drink package), but feel like on our trip last summer, it wasn't an option anymore.  

In the spirit of research, I was at the Freestyle machine near El Loco Fresh:

IMG_4469.jpeg

I took my daughters mimosa cup, which was empty 😜, and placed it in the machine and hit “water” and the dispense button. This was the message:

IMG_4477.jpeg

Seems like you can get a cup for just water.

El Loco Fresh was not yet open so I could not complete the assignment 😂😂. Still have a day and a half left!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, mac_tlc said:

Our son/DIL have found three, our grandkids have found four at last count.

Our grandkids enjoyed searching for the ducks (Wonder OTC) during our 50th wedding anniversary family cruise in June. Most were found around the pools and in Central Park.

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_4469.jpeg

I took my daughters mimosa cup, which was empty 😜, and placed it in the machine and hit “water” and the dispense button. This was the message:

IMG_4477.jpeg

El Loco Fresh was not yet open so I could not complete the assignment 😂😂. Still have a day and a half left!

mac_tlc

You are the best!  Thanks so much!  I will save my cups from the first leg of our trip for those in the group who are water drinkers to make it easier for them. Enjoy your last couple of days!!

8 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

mac_tlc

Are you sure they were gonna give you a cup for water ... ? Or is that saying "just ask at the counter" as in they will sell you a soda cup ..?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Are you sure they were gonna give you a cup for water ... ? Or is that saying "just ask at the counter" as in they will sell you a soda cup ..?

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That's what I was thinking.

You have identified tomorrows mission! 

mac_tlc

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2023 at 2:19 PM, mac_tlc said:

IMG_4441.jpeg

This is probably the reason   why  Portside BBQ, Boardwalk Dog House, Johnny Rockets and Playmakers don’t open until 2:00. 

Not enough passengers onboard to make it worth opening at 12 noon.

Last sea day today 😞.

This was on the bed last night:

C1DD54D9-9A9A-4510-8E94-27B9C8AB8DC2.jpeg

Block #5 and so far no duplicates. First one of the new design, looks ok. Might be a while before we get to #6, if it happens at all. 

A few more 7am pix today:

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_4482.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Last sea day today 😞.

This was on the bed last night:

C1DD54D9-9A9A-4510-8E94-27B9C8AB8DC2.jpeg

Block #5 and so far no duplicates. First one of the new design, looks ok. Might be a while before we get to #6, if it happens at all. 

With the way cruise pricing is going, I'm not sure how many blocks are in my future. I'm still on the fence about the new look.😏

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

With the way cruise pricing is going, I'm not sure how many blocks are in my future. I'm still on the fence about the new look.😏

Pricing is crazy high but the ships are sailing full. Our cruising budget is about the same but that equals half the number of cruises. Just wait for the next economic bubble to bust!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

Pricing is crazy high but the ships are sailing full. Our cruising budget is about the same but that equals half the number of cruises. Just wait for the next economic bubble to bust!!!!

We are in a similar situation. My guess, with no supporting data, is that the ships are full now but a large percentage of those cabins were booked a while ago when the prices were reasonable. I know we booked this cruise in November 2021, and 4 balcony cabins, double occupancy, was less than $10K total. Can’t get that now .  Symphony’s same cruise next year is almost double. 

For the reason that @cruise wizard mentioned and others, I just can’t help but think that those occupancy numbers will drop once the “new” pricing becomes the norm. 

For the first time in 21 years, we have no Royal cruises on the books. And we are retired so time is not the issue. 

mac_tlc

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

I'm not an economist , but With US consumer credit card debt at an all time high , it's hard to imagine some serious slowdown in discretionary spending isn't right around the corner ...

just my uneducated thoughts

Cheers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We are in a similar situation. My guess, with no supporting data, is that the ships are full now but a large percentage of those cabins were booked a while ago when the prices were reasonable. I know we booked this cruise in November 2021, and 4 balcony cabins, double occupancy, was less than $10K total. Can’t get that now .  Symphony’s same cruise next year is almost double. 

For the reason that @cruise wizard mentioned and others, I just can’t help but think that those occupancy numbers will drop once the “new” pricing becomes the norm. 

For the first time in 21 years, we have no Royal cruises on the books. And we are retired so time is not the issue. 

mac_tlc

We have a couple of Royal on the books (older bookings) but we are doing several on Celebrity for the itineraries (September - Canada & New England) and (February on the Constellation for Mardi Gras). Others are on the Beyond - love the "E-Class" ships and the demographics.