What is THE excursion in Aruba?

ShannonE

I will be travelling to the Southern Caribbean for the first time this summer with a large group. We'll research all the excursion options, but I am curious about what THE excursion in Aruba is--in Grand Cayman it's the stingrays, Ocho Rios is the waterfall, Belize is the cave tubing, etc. (I have the same question for Curacao if anyone can offer information on that as well.)

Thanks!

Aruba and Curacao are much different from a lot of the islands in the Caribbean, they are hot and dry deserts so the vegitation and landscape is much different. They don't necessarily have the "one" thing that you have to see or do.

Aruba has beautiful beaches and a lighthouse and natural bridges and is a very diverse island. One side of the island's coastline is very calm and nice with crystal clear water and beautiful white sand and the other side of the island has huge rock cliffs and pounding surf and natural bridges carved out by that pounding surf. There are many ways to see the island, by bus, ATV, horseback, jeep etc.....

In Curacao it is about the same thing in that there isn't one specific thing that you need to see or do.

Hope this helps you some.

• 2 months later...

We went to Aruba last year and there's not much to do there . Their beaches are amazing. Other than that, I'd say the main highlight on their island is the natural bridge and you should rent a jeep and drive along the coast....

I am going to Aruba for the first time in December. Are there good Web sites to find local rentals for jeeps or other excursions? Friends tell me the best way to see an island is to go with the locals! :)

We went to Aruba last year and there's not much to do there . Their beaches are amazing. Other than that, I'd say the main highlight on their island is the natural bridge and you should rent a jeep and drive along the coast....

the natural bridge collapsed a little while ago. There are photos of the collapse around-- I just cant seem to find them.

You should rent a jeep only if you know what you are doing. Reading the ARuba board here will give you some scarey stories....(look at the photo above at what happened to those people... (hope insurance covered that)

• 2 weeks later...

Aruba is good for peace and quiet and good beaches. There are also some good places to snorkel. We have only rented a Jeep once in all the years we have gone - usually just get a car. You can take a Jeep tour to the Natural Pool. The Natural Bridge did collapse but it is still a doable drive in a regular car to where it was. On the "wild side", by the California Lighthouse is lots of rocks to climb over to watch the ocean. No beaches on this side of the island....the water is wild!! We saw sea turtles hatch last time we were there in 2004. We also went to the Ostrich Farm. That was pretty neat. There are also horseback riding tours. I have been going to Aruba since 1993 and I always feel very safe there.

You don't need a jeep to get to a beach...the taxi will do. You would only need a jeep to get to the Natural Pool on the wild side.

I like Eagle Beach - that is where my home resort LaCabana is. Palm Beach is nice too. If you rent a car, you can go down past San Nicolas to Baby Beach. The water is very shallow there, but I find this beach too crowded. Up by the California lighthouse, past the high rise hotels is smaller beach with a few shelters....there you can catch some bigger waves to ride on....not surfing ones, just more wave action than below by the hotels.

If we were to rent a jeep, do you get a map of the highlights of what to see in Aruba? Also what if your jeep breaks down? Do you call the rental agency to pick you up? That is my only fear. Breaking down somewhere and missing the ship.

If we were to rent a jeep, do you get a map of the highlights of what to see in Aruba? Also what if your jeep breaks down? Do you call the rental agency to pick you up? That is my only fear. Breaking down somewhere and missing the ship.

Yes, you get a map, but you need to research what you want to see before you get there. Since you are on this forum, you are doing research. You will not miss the ship. There are many jeeps on the desert road to Natural Pool, and none of them are broken down. If by slim chance yours does, some good Samaritan will give you a ride. There are cars, taxis and busses on the paved roads that can bail you out.

We were in Aruba last year and really enjoyed the horseback ride to the natural pool. The scenery on the ride was really good, but the walk down to the pool can be a little tiresome if you are not in shape. Overall it was a good time.

Archived