Ravenna

dronnygirl

We have a day in Ravenna on a Sunday. Can anyone please advise on transport from the ship to town and whether it's better to stay on board? I would like to see the mosaics but are they open Sundays? Thanks in advance

Lots of information on where to find mosaics in Ravenna on the city's tourism website here:  Mosaics - Ravenna Turismo

Included you'll see the following opening hours:

Basilica of San Vitale:  Every day: 9 am – 7 pm

Mausoleum of Galla Placidia:  Every day: 9 am – 7 pm

Neonian Baptistery:  Every day: 9 am – 7 pm (until November 1)

Arian Baptistery: Monday to Friday: 9 am – 12 pm
                           Saturdays and Sundays: 9 am – 12 pm / 2 pm – 5 pm

Archiepiscopal Chapel:  Every day: 9 am – 7 pm

Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo:  Every day: 9 am – 7 pm

Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe:  Monday to Saturday: 8.30 am – 7.30 pm
                                                            Sundays and holidays: 1.30 pm – 7.30 pm

• Like 1

It is definitely worth getting into town and seeing the mosaics. 

I was in Ravenna on Celebrity last October and they had a shuttle bus (for a charge) running into town at regular intervals. I don't recall what the charge was (maybe $20-$25 for daylong pass) but it is certainly the easiest option as the port is somewhat isolated. Taxis are not plentiful. There is a public bus but you'd have to walk a bit to the stop.

I think we paid 25e for the museum pass for the two of us combined (??).  Personally, I'm glad we allocated time pre-cruise to do this.  

It's a pretty easy walking circuit within the town itself (once you get there from the port) and we were seeing the same people/groups along each of the stops.  

Celebrity has a FREE shuttle to/from the port.  That being said, we walked the entire city in about 2.5 hours.  Had lunch at Alice Pizza, and Gelato just down the street.  The Mercado de Ravenna also has some neat shops as well as a supermarket [ water for only 0.50e]!!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, redwings1958 said:

Celebrity has a FREE shuttle to/from the port.  That being said, we walked the entire city in about 2.5 hours.  Had lunch at Alice Pizza, and Gelato just down the street.  The Mercado de Ravenna also has some neat shops as well as a supermarket [ water for only 0.50e]!!

@redwings1958 Was this the Constellation 7/23 cruise in your signature?  I am on Connie departing Oct 30 this year (may or may not be exactly the same itinerary).  Did you have the first 2 days in Ravenna?  Was day one just about embarkation, and you visited Ravenna on the second day (on my sailing we leave Ravenna at 2 pm on that second day), or did you check in and then visit Ravenna on day 1?

@cruisemom42 also interested in your thoughts/experience.  For some reason this 2-day embarkation is throwing me off.  🙂

17 hours ago, AndyB said:

@redwings1958 Was this the Constellation 7/23 cruise in your signature?  I am on Connie departing Oct 30 this year (may or may not be exactly the same itinerary).  Did you have the first 2 days in Ravenna?  Was day one just about embarkation, and you visited Ravenna on the second day (on my sailing we leave Ravenna at 2 pm on that second day), or did you check in and then visit Ravenna on day 1?

@cruisemom42 also interested in your thoughts/experience.  For some reason this 2-day embarkation is throwing me off.  🙂

YES this is the ship

The ship is in port Thursday[embarkation] and Friday [1st port].  We opted to stay in Venice on Wednesday and explore the city for 1.5 days.  No Need to rush to the ship on thursday.  If you get there by 4pm, there will be NO CROWDS and check in is a breeze.  Then check out Ravenna on Friday and explore on your own.  3 hours is more than ample time to see everything