Ability to leave the ship during first night in Budapest

mikem1977

We are booked on the Viking Atla Christmas river cruise from December 17th to December 24th and wondering the possibility of getting off the cruise ship to go to Hungarian State Opera performance of the Nutcracker at 6 pm that first night (17th). Does the ship move down river during that first night and do they allow people off the ship to explore as long as they are back by a certain time?

Thanks,

Mike 

48 minutes ago, mikem1977 said:

We are booked on the Viking Atla Christmas river cruise from December 17th to December 24th and wondering the possibility of getting off the cruise ship to go to Hungarian State Opera performance of the Nutcracker at 6 pm that first night (17th). Does the ship move down river during that first night and do they allow people off the ship to explore as long as they are back by a certain time?

Thanks,

Mike 

Your itinerary will tell you if you are overnight in Budapest or not.  If you cannot find it there call Viking and ask....

If I have the right itinerary, then this indicates that you arrive at the ship on the 17th (day one) and you are overnight as there is a day two in Budapest.

This to me would say you can do what you like the night of the 17th.

All you have to worry about is what time you are boarding the ship and can you make your opera for 6pm?

image.png.b4a693dc928284986e77d26d4c4ee6d6.png

• Like 1

Yes - this is possible that the first night they might cruise the harbour at night, BUT, on the first day of embarkation, that would mean that every guest is on board, and often there are stragglers that arrive later than others because of flight delays etc.

Where we have seen this kind of thing is when you arrive one or two days early and are in a hotel as part of the cruise package, then when you do embark the ship everyone is there....

mikem1977 - you still want to scour your invoice for the dates but also call Viking to ensure that you have the story right.  You may really want to go to the Opera, but missing the night sailing may be something you would want to stay on board for...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikem1977 said:

Thanks CDNPolar, this is my first river cruise so a little unsure how free roam aspects work. Used to ocean cruising where there is set times in port. Just bought the tickets and extremely excited

You have to play a little bit by ear here...

We leave Monday for Passage to Eastern Europe.  Our itinerary map from the web site shows NO overnight in port.  The legend on the Viking itinerary maps show a solid black dot vs. a white dot indicating overnight in port.   BUT, often River Cruises do not sail overnight, but in the early morning or later in the afternoon after excursions come back.

Often on a River Cruise, the scenery along the river banks is a "not to miss" thing so you sail when it is light.

You should be able to get port and sailing times when you board, and this is important, because you may return from an excursion at 2pm and think that you can return to the city on your own to explore, but you may sail at 3pm.  This will all be covered in your daily program.  Always look for the back on board time each day.  We have been tempted to leave the excursion sometimes and just wander on our own, so you must know the back on board time.  (Always tell your excursion leader if you are walking away from the group)

I would email tellus@vikingcruises.com and give your booking number, and ask ALL your questions.  You will likely within 24-48 hours get a phone call from someone that will answer all your questions.  If you have asked all questions in advance they will come back with better answers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mikem1977 said:

do they allow people off the ship to explore as long as they are back by a certain time?

Yes.

You are free to walk off the boat any time the boat is moored. You should be back 15 minutes before boat is due to depart.

If you go to the Opera for a 6pm performance then you will miss dinner which is usually served 7pm.

Although the boat may be moored over night in Budapest they may cruise for an hour or so in the evening so guests can see the lights of the city. Details will be on the Viking Daily news-sheet which will be on your bed when you check-in, so if boat is not moored when you return from Opera it will be back. The phone number of the boat and the mooring address is at the foot of the Viking Daily, so take that with you or photo it in case of queries.

Have a great time, I'm sure you will. Viking give a good experience

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pontac said:

If you go to the Opera for a 6pm performance then you will miss dinner which is usually served 7pm.

Good point.  Since your first River Cruise, you should know that there is only one seating (time range) for each meal and there are no buffets or food available outside of meal times. (Unless you made other arrangements with the dining room manager)

Generally there is a coffee station with cookies, muffins, etc. but that is all.

• Like 1

As far as I know cruise ships are still not allowed to just go out and circle around in Budapest, yes they used to.  But there was a fatal accident between Viking and a sightseeing boat (who can still do it) in 2019 or 2018 and they put a stop to it. I mentioned it to the captain of the AMAMagna first night while we were still in Budapest and he didnt seem to indicate it had been allowed again.

However, if you are there and you are willing to just walk around or book one of the sightseeing boats...its an amazing sight.

Are there no late night food options on Viking? Ive never made it that late but AMA DOES put something light out at least at like...10pm.  Im guessing sandwiches or something.

• Like 1

Some of the cruises will still do the evening tour of the lights, but I found our our Avalon one leaves around 6:30. That is OK, as I have planned on doing a local tour the night before as we have 2 nights in Budapest included in our tour. I figured I would do that and if we got surprised by the ship doing it, it's a win win situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon all,

Truly appreciate the feedback and pointers. I was able to talk this afternoon with a Viking travel advisor and they assured me that the boat would be moored overnight until 12 pm the next day when we set sail for Vienna. Then even added on the little bonus information that the second day in Vienna is a full day moored and not setting sail for Krems till midnight 🙂 I am even more excited now and can't wait to experience this cruise.

• Like 2

Wonderful so you’re all set and I think it proves if you don’t ask, in this case not ‘you don’t get’ but you ‘don’t know’. Have a wonderful cruise and be prepared to be wowed, I’ve not seen the Nutcracker there but have here by the Royal Ballet absolutely enchanting I defy even ballet no-sayers not to be enthralled.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 6:30 AM, pontac said:

Have a great time, I'm sure you will. Viking give a good experience

If you are looking to have dinner on shore after the Opera, I would suggest considering Cafe Kor.  It is on the Pest side - just down from St. Stephen's church - a short walk from the river.

Our favourite restaurant... Traditional Hungarian food.  We eat there every time we are in Budapest (last time was last fall!!).

Enjoy your trip!!

Fran

• Like 1

12 hours ago, franski said:

If you are looking to have dinner on shore after the Opera, I would suggest considering Cafe Kor.  It is on the Pest side - just down from St. Stephen's church - a short walk from the river.

Our favourite restaurant... Traditional Hungarian food.  We eat there every time we are in Budapest (last time was last fall!!).

Enjoy your trip!!

Fran

That Cafe Kor looks amazing, but unfortunately closed on Sunday 😞 Thinking we will hit the Aria sky bar afterwards for dinner.