Single Supplement or Phantom 2nd Passenger

Cruisegoer

If you were cruising alone, and it's cheaper to book a Phantom 2nd Passenger who was a No-Show the day of the cruise vs booking a single supplement cabin? My understanding is that with no shows the cruise line customarily refunds the port charges and dependent on what TA you might book thru, a double occupancy cabin on discount can be cheaper than a single 100% supplement booking.

What are your thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

If you were cruising alone, and it's cheaper to book a Phantom 2nd Passenger who was a No-Show the day of the cruise vs booking a single supplement cabin? My understanding is that with no shows the cruise line customarily refunds the port charges and dependent on what TA you might book thru, a double occupancy cabin on discount can be cheaper than a single 100% supplement booking.

What are your thoughts?

Interesting question so I thought I would test it out.  

I dummy booked (and yes I was signed in) to a cruise I am taking in Oct.  Everything was the same (I "chose" my cabin, cruise only".  For 2 people it came out to be $1748 total.  For 1 person it was $1329.  If you take into consideration only 1 port fees, there was a difference of $114 (more expensive than for 2 people). 

Don't know if it would always be that way.  (And BTW, I "got" my AARP credit if I would have booked it!  LOL!!)

• Like 1

Notwithstanding the result from the prior poster, I think a lot of times when you cancel the second person and the single fare goes up more than the double booked fare was originally, it is because they look at it as cancelling the original booking and rebooking at the current fare, which usually would be higher. 

Nickelpenny, did you compare your booked fare with the new single only fare or did you try a new single and a new double occupancy both through to compare for apples to apples of the fare today?

5 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Notwithstanding the result from the prior poster, I think a lot of times when you cancel the second person and the single fare goes up more than the double booked fare was originally, it is because they look at it as cancelling the original booking and rebooking at the current fare, which usually would be higher. 

Nickelpenny, did you compare your booked fare with the new single only fare or did you try a new single and a new double occupancy both through to compare for apples to apples of the fare today?

No I did both “bookings” today. Not what I “paid” because for me it was a free inside. 👍

All the cruises I have sailed solo on HAL, never has the solo fare been more than the double occupancy price. (Factoring for only one port charge) I check every time to make sure!!  For sure I would be making a call to HAL if they tried to charge me more than the two-person fare but haven't had to so far!

~Nancy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

All the cruises I have sailed solo on HAL, never has the solo fare been more than the double occupancy price. (Factoring for only one port charge) I check every time to make sure!!  For sure I would be making a call to HAL if they tried to charge me more than the two-person fare but haven't had to so far!

~Nancy

I’ve seen it with private sales.

• Thanks 1