Staying in Balitmore prior

marcyjane

13 hours ago, marcyjane said:

Looking for a tour from Balitmore Hotel to Washington that picks up at hotel.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I've never heard of an organized tour that does this-- you could always hire a private driver and guide in Baltimore to take you down but I would suspect it would be pricey. 

Honestly you don't need one-- you can easily get to DC from Baltimore via the train (both Amtrak and regional rail) or by car. Once you are there there are a plethora of touring options from Hop On/Off, guided tours of monuments, all the free Smithsonian Museums, etc. 

If you are looking at a tour purely from a transportation standpoint the train is easy, faster, and inexpensive. 

• Like 1

I might add the hotel we have booked is Homewood Suites on South President Street in Baltimore.  Hope it is a fairly good area.  Will just be going close by the first evening to eat and the next day get to a tour of Washington .  The next morning to the cruise port. 

We stayed at a Hilton on South President -- lots of great restaurants in immediate area - which struck us a generally safe.    For your DC trip I'd suggest AmTrak both ways -- with a bit of advance planning you can self-guide.   Pick your interests - lots of things to fill your day at the National Mall - Smithsonian, etc.

50 minutes ago, marcyjane said:

I might add the hotel we have booked is Homewood Suites on South President Street in Baltimore.  Hope it is a fairly good area. 

It's safe-- it's its own little development enclave that has the Marriott and Four Seasons Hotels there in addition to some corporate steakhouses and hotel restaurants. 

53 minutes ago, marcyjane said:

ill just be going close by the first evening to eat and the next day get to a tour of Washington .  The next morning to the cruise port. 

Just keep in mind that you are on a little bit of an island where your hotel is. If you plan on exploring the Inner Harbor or Fells Point, while they are physically very close, you do have to walk through a bit of a no mans land to get there. During the day reasonably safe but would be vigilant at night. Baltimore is not a great walking city and you can be on a safe street one minute and make the wrong turn to somewhere not so great. 

Personally I think the Inner Harbor is a little stale at this point but Fells Point is a lot of fun, especially at night. 

I was in Baltimore for several days last month (July 2023) at the Hilton Inner Harbor and found the city very, very scary after dark. There was a car jacking in the Hilton garage the night I left with two people injured. Be vigilant.

Edited by Langoustine

@marcyjane Your hotel is in an area called the Inner Harbor East.  There are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.  I recommend walking along the waterfront promenade to Fells Point the day you arrive.  Generally safe if you stay south and east of your hotel.  

Train tickets from Penn Station in Baltimore to Union Station in DC will be cheaper if you book ahead.  MARC trains are cheaper than Amtrak.  Use Uber/Lyft for transport to and from train station.