Journey circling

SSD

It’s blowing an absolute gale here today. They may still be trying to go for the lock at Leith but I would doubt it we’ve a weather warning Storm Betsey. If they can they will tender to Newhaven about a mile from Leith. 

I’ve seen this happen several times with Azamara once Journey got into the harbour and couldn’t come out. Edinburgh in July and August is notorious for gales. 

I hear there’s to be a safety check re the tattoo in the next hour. It’s sad seeing so many weather blown tourists trudging around. 

Edited by uktog
  • Thanks 1

It arrived on time but did an immediate about-turn without going near the lock gates into the docks where it was due alongside until tomorrow evening.  The captain and/or pilot must have decided they either didn't like the conditions or, perhaps, didn't like the forecast for when it was to leave the docks.image.png.b0ff9772f0d548f9aea429aaaa9f009f.png

I heard it's heading for Rosyth, but that will have taken more than a phone call to arrange a diversion!

Despite the wind, Viking Mars appears to be tendering to Newhaven without any issues, likewise with Nieuw Statendam to South Queensferry.  It appears Journey was being particularly cautious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

It arrived on time but did an immediate about-turn without going near the lock gates into the docks where it was due alongside until tomorrow evening.  The captain and/or pilot must have decided they either didn't like the conditions or, perhaps, didn't like the forecast for when it was to leave the docks.image.png.b0ff9772f0d548f9aea429aaaa9f009f.png

I heard it's heading for Rosyth, but that will have taken more than a phone call to arrange a diversion!

Despite the wind, Viking Mars appears to be tendering to Newhaven without any issues, likewise with Nieuw Statendam to South Queensferry.  It appears Journey was being particularly cautious.

I’m not sure the berth at Rosyth is clear. I think there’s only one anchorage just now at Newhaven. They could try Leith again on the next tide (it’s a tidal lock and as you know a tight turn) as the storm is due to head off later on. They’re banking on that at the tattoo 

And Los Angeles is about to get a hurricane! I had no idea that Edinburgh could have such rough weather in the middle of the summer. Having had the pleasure of a North Sea gale on Azamara once, I'm happy to pass.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I’m not sure the berth at Rosyth is clear. I think there’s only one anchorage just now at Newhaven. They could try Leith again on the next tide (it’s a tidal lock and as you know a tight turn) as the storm is due to head off later on. They’re banking on that at the tattoo 

I see that they've squeezed it onto the ferry berth...

image.png.5e14184fea88f47f9a68c976b01a5cde.png

Thats the problem....buses.

Some people went to 1st and 2nd tattoo performance as a priority. Many people had Britannia and other trips with timed entry which they missed. One shuttle tomorrow to Inverkeithing station from 8am to 7 30 pm. Many upset passengers. Immigration was due to start at 6 45 am so everyone up and about before annoucement made. Some taxis to be made available. Too windy to enter lock but 4 30 pm before we berthed in Rosyth. A long day for passengers and crew

37 minutes ago, manc said:

Thats the problem....buses.

Some people went to 1st and 2nd tattoo performance as a priority. Many people had Britannia and other trips with timed entry which they missed. One shuttle tomorrow to Inverkeithing station from 8am to 7 30 pm. Many upset passengers. Immigration was due to start at 6 45 am so everyone up and about before annoucement made. Some taxis to be made available. Too windy to enter lock but 4 30 pm before we berthed in Rosyth. A long day for passengers and crew

So sorry to hear this - its not the first time Azamara has had challenges with the wind in Edinburgh.  It is something that is not "talked about" but should be.  I can understand how upset people will be, but really glad those with tattoo tickets have managed to get into Edinburgh.  

One other way people could get to Edinburgh is to get a local taxi and head to the Inverkeithing Park and Ride.  From there, all the buses to Edinburgh stop.  It is on the road into Inverkeithing so nearer that the train station

As we needed a taxi or bus to get individuals without shore excursions out of the port only people going to the Tattoo left last night at about 5 30 so don't know if they made the 6 15 performance. We are hoping to get a cab to Dunfermline later but for most passengers Edinburgh was on the bucket list. Some very frustrated passengers. One shuttle bus today to the station. 

1 hour ago, manc said:

As we needed a taxi or bus to get individuals without shore excursions out of the port only people going to the Tattoo left last night at about 5 30 so don't know if they made the 6 15 performance. We are hoping to get a cab to Dunfermline later but for most passengers Edinburgh was on the bucket list. Some very frustrated passengers. One shuttle bus today to the station. 

Dunfermlime is my home town. We are usually there most Sundays to see the grandchildren (though sadly not today or id meet folks and show them round). The Abbey and Royal Palace are amazing and you have Carnegies birthplace and the Abbot House all in a small area. The Abbey will open about 1230 after Sunday service 

Hope you have a good day, totally understand frustrations dear Mother Nature can be so unkind and it would happen on one of the busiest days in the year for cruise visits. (I recall one time previously she made herself known it was on the Saturday and Sunday of the Open a few years back, another time Journey got into Leith for an overnight and was stuck in for three) 

• Like 2

Sadly same thing has happened to Seven Seas Navigator today.  Been holding in the North Sea. 
Leith might be getting dropped as a port by more cruise lines. Fred Olson gave up years ago and uses Rosyth instead. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SSD said:

Sadly same thing has happened to Seven Seas Navigator today.  Been holding in the North Sea. 
Leith might be getting dropped as a port by more cruise lines. Fred Olson gave up years ago and uses Rosyth instead. 

In the meantime, boards like here needs to get the message out to manage expectations about Leith.  Rosyth isn't straightforward either - strong currents and rules about going under the bridges in high winds

I meant to say I saw a message on Cruise Forth on Saturday asking for anyone with a minibus and able to run shuttle service to contact them for Sunday so they could offer guests Dunfermline.  I know some local groups did go and help

Edited by uktog

As you can't leave Rosyth on foot we took a taxi on Sunday and went to Dunfermline. Lovely town. Plenty to see. Good restaurants and shops. Much quicker journey than taking shuttle to Inverkeithing station and fitting in with train times. Sorry for people who.had Edinburgh on their bucket list. When new moorings completed at Leith it SHOULD become easier. 

• Like 1