Speciality Dining question

Scirocco Breeze

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

That was my thinking as well, but I assume that the wines offered in each dining venue are physically located in the venue. If I was in Sabatini's and ordered something from the vast MDR menu, wouldn't it have to be trucked in from a distant location in one of the MDRs? The wait for wine service in the restaurants is slow enough without a waiter having to walk 2000 yards to get us our glasses from a completely different location.

I was thinking of bottles and I imagine they are stored centrally somewhere for all locations other than the few bottles they have right there.

I guess if I wanted a particular wine, I'd pick it up somewhere and bring with me.

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And this is the first I am hearing of a Sommelier on Princess, so I do question if that was really his job title

On Sky in June there was a sommelier in all restaurants including the MDR however what their job title by day was another matter. The "sommelier" from the catch the previous night was seen as a bar waiter the next day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

On Sky in June there was a sommelier in all restaurants including the MDR however what their job title by day was another matter. The "sommelier" from the catch the previous night was seen as a bar waiter the next day.

Could be an effort to increase wine sales.  Was he wearing one of those metal chains with a metal saucer on the end?  Such an old fashioned way to taste wine.  I recall those from decades back on X.

3 hours ago, david63 said:

Interesting development if Princess is actually stationing sommeliers in the restaurants. We never saw any when we were on the Sky last Feb.  Did it actually improve the availability of the wine service, i.e. if you bought by the glass, did he/she refill easily and quickly? That's one thing we loved about X on our recent sailing, the sommeliers were everywhere and were quick with the refills. From the way you describe things, the new "sommelier" on Princess is just a waiter dedicated specifically to wine (beverage?) service.

Also, it would be nice to hear from other recent sailings on other Princess ships, are sommeliers being rolled out fleet-wide or is it just a pilot project on the Sky?  We'll definitely be watching out for them on the Discovery next month.