Enchanting Butchart Gardens

kasowell2

Is it a Saturday, during firework season? Despite the lights, I feel that without daylight the quality of the experience drops notably (but then I'm a botanist - I want to be able to read labels, not just say "Aww, lookitdaprettyflowahs!") but the firework show is well executed and seriously ramps up the value of an evening visit!

Further complication is no fireworks at the moment due to the emergency measures for the many wildfires - good chance that next week, maybe two, will likewise be cancelled... but if you're later in the season we are all hoping for some rain in September!

5 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Is it worth visiting this even though we arrive late and it’s dark?

No.  It takes about 45 minutes each way from the port to Butchart Gardens.  if you are in port for just a few hours, the time at the Gardens is very limited.  The lights are similar to driveway lights so taking a photo is very difficult. 

The best visit is during the daylight when you can see and photograph all of the flowers.

image.jpeg.bdd66a73508e860e86cb67d31960adb9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

If your cruise is stopping in Victoria, odds are that this is a Seattle-based round trip.  (The Victoria stop is to satisfy the US legal requirement that foreign-flagged vessels on trips originating and ending in US ports have a stop en route in a foreign port.)

If that's the case, and if you have some time in Seattle before or after the cruise, it's worth noting that there are a couple of excellent gardens easily accessed from Seattle.  I won't say they're the equivalent of Butchart Gardens (although IMO Butchart is rather overpriced) they might be of interest.

1.  Kubota Garden in south Seattle is a beautiful (mainly Japanese) garden complex developed privately by Fujitaro Kubota and his family over decades.  Entrance is free, and it's a stunner of an experience.  Kubota Garden Foundation - Home

2.  The Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island, reached by a 40-min. ferry ride from downtown Seattle, is regarded as one of the best botanical gardens in the US.  Take the ferry to Bainbridge, then connect to a local dial-a-bus service out to the gardens, and you're in for a terrific experience.  Bloedel Reserve | One of North America's 10 Best Botanical Gardens

We did it last year on Celebrity Solstice. We only had about 75 minutes at the gardens so it was really really rushed. If this is your only time you’ll ever be able to go, then do it. But I’d recommend a much longer trip in the future as it’s an amazing place.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

We will be there September 16th this year

So not as long of day light hours such as June......

I agree with @dcbiker97 - if this is your only time to ever go, I would go. Otherwise, I would try to go when you can spend more time there. 

It is stunning there!

Edited by Coral

Our Quantum of the Seas itinerary includes Victoria from 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM in early July, 2024.  We are very interested in Butchart.  Assuming we can get to the gardens by 6:00 PM and have to leave at 9:00 PM to return to the ship, and considering that the sun sets at 10:0 PM, would it be worthwhile?
Thanks.

9 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Our Quantum of the Seas itinerary includes Victoria from 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM in early July, 2024.  We are very interested in Butchart.  Assuming we can get to the gardens by 6:00 PM and have to leave at 9:00 PM to return to the ship, and considering that the sun sets at 10:0 PM, would it be worthwhile?
Thanks.

Yes IMO.