Dining at the Verandah for solos?

sucramdi

@NE John For me the worst is when they take a current popular song and try to play it for someone to waltz to. I had to leave the QR. I leave in an hour for a cruise on RCI with grandson #1. I was looking at the app this morning and they have every possible Name That Tune competition you can think of, except classical. By era, show tunes, rock, country, ABBA, Beatles…

On 8/27/2023 at 9:00 PM, D&N said:

The Verandah menus do not appeal to us.

However we would love to dine in restaurants that advertise a Dinner Dance and provide live musician(s) that play strict tempo music suitable for dancing. We sometimes came across such events in Scotland, usually in hotels that had restaurants serving decent food with space for a dance floor.

We'd typically spend 5 or 6 hours over a meal and drinks in that sort of venue, from aperitifs to nightcaps.  If I could find that every night both ways on an Atlantic Crossing it would be my idea of heaven.

Those that don't like music or dancing with their meal could easily stay away as it would be clear what to expect.

I got distracted yesterday, but meant to comment on my admiration for your stamina. After a three course Cunard dinner, plus extras and half a bottle of wine, I can barely stagger back to the cabin. 🙂🙂

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, NE John said:

DW thinks I’m an alien because I can name the song, composer, rock group, time era of music from Bach to Coltrane to Nirvana after just listening to a few notes. We must have a weird eidetic memory for sound and music. Maybe that’s why I was frustrated with the music in the QR during our last TA, odd tempos and arrangements of familiar tunes. 

I think it's how 'your' brain is wired. I can't help naming music [classical] just as my brain makes words out of car number plates!

Sad or what! 😕

• Haha 1

Who said "after"?

That sort of event is a bit different from a Cunard dining room.

The act starts playing mostly subdued numbers early in the meal and couples get up and dance between courses, or if they particularly want to dance to a tune they like they will abandon the food and hit the dance floor. Making the most of good dance music can be much more important than letting your food go cold!

I'd expect to take up to 3 hours over the meal with lots of dancing in between.

Towards the end of food service the musicians take a short break then return for rest of night. The floor would be full for that session whereas earlier you get a bit more space.

Waiters need to understand that it's dangerous for them to encroach on the dance floor!

During the meal those whose hands are free will applaud the musicians and other dancers. They understand that isn't practical if you are using cutlery.

51 minutes ago, techteach said:

@NE John For me the worst is when they take a current popular song and try to play it for someone to waltz to. I had to leave the QR. I leave in an hour for a cruise on RCI with grandson #1. I was looking at the app this morning and they have every possible Name That Tune competition you can think of, except classical. By era, show tunes, rock, country, ABBA, Beatles…

Have fun with your grandson!  He’ll certainly be busy in a RCI cruise. Hope you find a quiet spot for yourself here and there. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

When I sailed on Qn. Elizabeth (for reference: 10 day Alaska, Vancouver roundtrip, in late June) I dined in both The Verandah and Steakhouse at The Verandah solo (lunch & dinner, resp.), and both times I was seated at a table by myself. I did reserve online ahead of time, but the cruise wasn't even at full capacity. The only time it was "crowded" was during the Steakhouse.