Disembarkation and flight home questions

WaggesAZ

Hi all!  I am getting ready to book flights and I wondered if PG has an agreement with a hotel that offers a day room prior to the 9PM flights most carriers offer back to the US?  I emailed my TA but thought I might get ideas here too.

Also, when booking your flight home, do you think a 2 hour layover in SFO will be sufficient for us to clear customs and grab something to eat before boarding?

Any tips/tricks you know about the 7 day itinerary would also be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

We have a 2 hour layover in SFO on Monday morning (the 930pm flight on United)…happy to report back. We will be using mobile passport. 

That would be so helpful, thank you!  

My TA told me the cost of PG day rooms, $840.00 - This includes a tour in Tahiti, transfer to the hotel, day room, lunch and then transfer to the airport.  I am not sure what we will do...If you are doing something outside PG I'd love to hear about it whenever you have a minute.

Aloha. What we did and what I generally do post pre and post cruise is reserve rooms so that we don’t worry about getting to the ship on time nor worry about getting to the airport on time. Having a few days after our tahiti cruise was most relaxing and enjoyable as the flight schedules are also not in synch with the ship’s arrival.  

Here's an alternative to the pricing of the IT that I have reserved for our trip next April.  It is called Pension de la Plage, a  small hotel relatively close to the airport.  It gets OK reviews on TA and the cost for one night is about $120.  Now the reason this place is appealing is their check in time is 11am.

They do have a pool and the beach is a block away.  

I have not stayed there but you can read the reviews on TA.

Good luck,

Doug

11 minutes ago, doug52 said:

Here's an alternative to the pricing of the IT that I have reserved for our trip next April.  It is called Pension de la Plage, a  small hotel relatively close to the airport.  It gets OK reviews on TA and the cost for one night is about $120.  Now the reason this place is appealing is their check in time is 11am.

They do have a pool and the beach is a block away.  

I have not stayed there but you can read the reviews on TA.

Good luck,

Doug

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will definitely check in to this, I really appreciate you sharing.

3 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. What we did and what I generally do post pre and post cruise is reserve rooms so that we don’t worry about getting to the ship on time nor worry about getting to the airport on time. Having a few days after our tahiti cruise was most relaxing and enjoyable as the flight schedules are also not in synch with the ship’s arrival.  

Mahalo! We were hoping to stop a few days in Honolulu and then head over, but Hawaiian only flys on Saturday and the flight arrives too late for the required embarkation. We will be definitely be arriving ahead of our cruise, that has always been my preference, but especially now with so many travel delays and hiccups.  Unfortunately we cannot stay a few days at the end as we need to be home Sunday since we are both self employed and will have to return to work on Monday.  For now, we try not to be away for longer than 10-12 days.  Hoping when we retire we will enjoy much longer travels away.  Thank you for your suggestions!

• Thanks 1

In July we flew United to SFO and the on to Newark.  We were in business class (you do get off the plane first) and had a 4 hour layover in SFO.  We would have made a 2 hour connection but only by 15 minutes.  Our luggage did come out first and immigration was fast, as was customs.  Unfortunately we were able to quickly leave our bags just outside customs for the next flight but we were outside of security.  We had to go through security again which took about 40 minutes.

So............2 hours is really tight.  I would try and avoid that if possible.

We did the dayroom at the Intercontinental once, and it's a beautiful property for sure, but the amount of money for the one day just seemed outrageous to us.

Here's two other ideas for your disembarkation day: one is to rent a car and drive yourself around Tahiti for the day. It doesn't give you a place to hang out, but it does give you the freedom to go check out the island, have a leisurely lunch, and then drop the car off at the airport in plenty of time to wait for your flight.

Another option is to get an AirBnb for the night. You can get a really nice apartment in Papeete, close to the cruise ship pier, for far less than a decent hotel room, and that will give you the opportunity to relax, spread out, walk around, shower before your flight etc. Better than getting a hotel room, IMO. You would need to ask the host if they would allow an early check-in. Many of them will, especially since you won't be spending the night. I have friends who did this and it worked out great.

9 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

In July we flew United to SFO and the on to Newark.  We were in business class (you do get off the plane first) and had a 4 hour layover in SFO.  We would have made a 2 hour connection but only by 15 minutes.  Our luggage did come out first and immigration was fast, as was customs.  Unfortunately we were able to quickly leave our bags just outside customs for the next flight but we were outside of security.  We had to go through security again which took about 40 minutes.

So............2 hours is really tight.  I would try and avoid that if possible.

I felt it was a tight timeline, thank you for confirming!  I will see if I can find another flight with a longer connection.  I was seeing 6 hours or 2 and obviously I would prefer less time after the overnight flight but no to our own detriment and unnecessary stress.  I appreciate you letting me know.

5 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

We did the dayroom at the Intercontinental once, and it's a beautiful property for sure, but the amount of money for the one day just seemed outrageous to us.

Here's two other ideas for your disembarkation day: one is to rent a car and drive yourself around Tahiti for the day. It doesn't give you a place to hang out, but it does give you the freedom to go check out the island, have a leisurely lunch, and then drop the car off at the airport in plenty of time to wait for your flight.

Another option is to get an AirBnb for the night. You can get a really nice apartment in Papeete, close to the cruise ship pier, for far less than a decent hotel room, and that will give you the opportunity to relax, spread out, walk around, shower before your flight etc. Better than getting a hotel room, IMO. You would need to ask the host if they would allow an early check-in. Many of them will, especially since you won't be spending the night. I have friends who did this and it worked out great.

My knee jerk reaction was there has to be a less expensive and still enjoyable way to end our trip.  At nearly $900, I started thinking we should overnight, but that 9pm flight is still an issue.  Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions.  It is very much appreciated!

Instead of a dayroom you can book a room yourself for the night, for around $400. Check in early.  The room won’t be ready but you can leave your luggage and enjoy the pool and relax.  Room should be ready by noon. You can nap, shower, etc. and far less expensive than arranging this though the ship.  Taxi to the hotel will be about $25 for the IC, a little less for the Hilton 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Instead of a dayroom you can book a room yourself for the night, for around $400. Check in early.  The room won’t be ready but you can leave your luggage and enjoy the pool and relax.  Room should be ready by noon. You can nap, shower, etc. and far less expensive than arranging this though the ship.  Taxi to the hotel will be about $25 for the IC, a little less for the Hilton 

That's another great option! That's actually what we did that one time we used the IC for a dayroom...we booked it ourselves, as the cost through the PG was insane. We didn't feel we needed a tour (we'd done enough touring at that point) and we bought our own lunch. Saved hundreds.

I suppose if money is no object, but I don't really see the value in paying hundreds more dollars just to have the PG book the room. The transfers, lunch and tour definitely do not add up to that amount. That said, I do understand that some people prefer the convenience of leaving everything to the cruise line. I'm just way too much of a DIY traveler to do that. 😉 

2 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

I don't know what that thought didn't cross my  mind - THANK YOU!!

2 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

That's another great option! That's actually what we did that one time we used the IC for a dayroom...we booked it ourselves, as the cost through the PG was insane. We didn't feel we needed a tour (we'd done enough touring at that point) and we bought our own lunch. Saved hundreds.

I suppose if money is no object, but I don't really see the value in paying hundreds more dollars just to have the PG book the room. The transfers, lunch and tour definitely do not add up to that amount. That said, I do understand that some people prefer the convenience of leaving everything to the cruise line. I'm just way too much of a DIY traveler to do that. 😉 

I actually have tried messaging a couple of people on Airbnb and they're not interested even though I would pay whatever their full fee is.  My friend said just book 2 nights and check in early...However I think the dayroom on my own make more sense.  The pools would likely be better and having a one stop shop is worth paying a little extra for.

I understand people who like everything to be prearranged and easy, but planning is 1/2 the fun for me.  I too love to DIY and I LOVE nice experiences with a smaller crowd, and I don't mind paying extra for that, but I also am not one to haphazardly throw away money, especially when traveling.  Those funds could be used to pay for another experience or at least part of one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WaggesAZ said:

I actually have tried messaging a couple of people on Airbnb and they're not interested even though I would pay whatever their full fee is.  My friend said just book 2 nights and check in early...However I think the dayroom on my own make more sense.  The pools would likely be better and having a one stop shop is worth paying a little extra for.

I understand people who like everything to be prearranged and easy, but planning is 1/2 the fun for me.  I too love to DIY and I LOVE nice experiences with a smaller crowd, and I don't mind paying extra for that, but I also am not one to haphazardly throw away money, especially when traveling.  Those funds could be used to pay for another experience or at least part of one.

Great choice! Are you doing the IC? It's really a lovely property and the pools are fabulous. The food is a bit pricy, but it'll be worth it just to enjoy a relaxing day at a lovely resort. 

6 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Great choice! Are you doing the IC? It's really a lovely property and the pools are fabulous. The food is a bit pricy, but it'll be worth it just to enjoy a relaxing day at a lovely resort. 

Yes, we are staying there pre-cruise as well.  I heard it was pricey to eat there, so I booked the room to include breakfast for our pre-cruise stay.  My husband is a breakfast eater, so hopefully it will be a decent offering.

• Like 1

FWIW, we landed at 7:46am this morning in San Francisco and through CBP and customs by 8:20am.

Walk to TSA was 5 mins and then 8 mins to get through TSA. We didn’t have pre check but the pre check line estimated 10 minutes on the screen. I know every day can be different but wanted to share. 
We debarked the PG in the afternoon in Moorea Friday late afternoon before she sailed back to Papeete and then took the ferry over on Sunday to fly home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, minidonuts85 said:

FWIW, we landed at 7:46am this morning in San Francisco and through CBP and customs by 8:20am.

Walk to TSA was 5 mins and then 8 mins to get through TSA. We didn’t have pre check but the pre check line estimated 10 minutes on the screen. I know every day can be different but wanted to share. 
We debarked the PG in the afternoon in Moorea Friday late afternoon before she sailed back to Papeete and then took the ferry over on Sunday to fly home. 

Thank you so much!!  That's awesome information.  We have Global Entry so that makes me think I should chance it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WaggesAZ said:

Thank you so much!!  That's awesome information.  We have Global Entry so that makes me think I should chance it.

I’d be confident in doing it again. 
The GE people were zipping through! 
There was a verrrrrrry long line off to the right as we were approaching and my heart just sank. As the overhead signs came into sight, turns out it was the foreign visitors line and not ours. 

You’ll likely land at a G terminal gate and we got through everything and over to F easily. Killed an hour in the Amex lounge before our flight home started boarding.  The United bag recheck was super easy  (and maybe the other airlines have it too) but as you exit CBP, you go towards the United bag recheck just about 100 yards away with 4 walk up lanes. They just scan your existing bag tag with a hand scanner as you walk up, they direct you to drop it off in a roped off section and you’re on your way.  

9 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

I’d be confident in doing it again. 
The GE people were zipping through! 
There was a verrrrrrry long line off to the right as we were approaching and my heart just sank. As the overhead signs came into sight, turns out it was the foreign visitors line and not ours. 

You’ll likely land at a G terminal gate and we got through everything and over to F easily. Killed an hour in the Amex lounge before our flight home started boarding.  The United bag recheck was super easy  (and maybe the other airlines have it too) but as you exit CBP, you go towards the United bag recheck just about 100 yards away with 4 walk up lanes. They just scan your existing bag tag with a hand scanner as you walk up, they direct you to drop it off in a roped off section and you’re on your way.  

Excellent, such helpful information!! I have settled on who we're flying, and it's United in the lie flat seats.  Flights home should be released Tuesday.  I just can't decide if it's worth the extra money for the flight there to be in first class, neither of us sleep well on a plane, and I think it may be better to not sleep to get on Tahitian time when we arrive.

1 hour ago, WaggesAZ said:

Excellent, such helpful information!! I have settled on who we're flying, and it's United in the lie flat seats.  Flights home should be released Tuesday.  I just can't decide if it's worth the extra money for the flight there to be in first class, neither of us sleep well on a plane, and I think it may be better to not sleep to get on Tahitian time when we arrive.

We had the biz class seats and it’s was a delight. My fiancée never sleeps on a plane and he slept well. Don’t get the first 3 rows…a lot of the overhead bin space was being used for crew stuff and pillows/blankets. In SFO you board and deplane in the middle behind row 8/middle galley. In PPT they have the middle/front doors open. We had row 7 there and 3 back. I’d pick rows 5-7 both ways next time. 5 and 7 is a pair that is close together if there is two of you. 

We stayed at the Hilton for one night pre cruise and really enjoyed it. Food was good and a got a solid nights sleep.  Had a lot of fun at the grocery store across the street and there is a small Tiki Tiare outlet there we also walked to up the street with the oils, lotions and soaps. 

Edited by minidonuts85

21 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

We had the biz class seats and it’s was a delight. My fiancée never sleeps on a plane and he slept well. Don’t get the first 3 rows…a lot of the overhead bin space was being used for crew stuff and pillows/blankets. In SFO you board and deplane in the middle behind row 8/middle galley. In PPT they have the middle/front doors open. We had row 7 there and 3 back. I’d pick rows 5-7 both ways next time. 5 and 7 is a pair that is close together if there is two of you. 

We stayed at the Hilton for one night pre cruise and really enjoyed it. Food was good and a got a solid nights sleep.  Had a lot of fun at the grocery store across the street and there is a small Tiki Tiare outlet there we also walked to up the street with the oils, lotions and soaps. 

So appreciate you taking the time to give me this information.  We were originally going to celebrate our 20th anniversary but it was 2020 and I don't think I need to tell the rest of that story, ha!  

• Haha 1