Live info from the Breakaway (Rome round trip - Greece and Italy)

KeithJenner

Bars & Premium Plus package.

We like to find a bar early in the cruise that we will spend some time at and usually end up getting on very well with the staff. The type of bar used changes from cruise to cruise, but for this one it was always likely to be on the Waterfront.

This time the "Sail and Sustain Bar" outside Shakers was an easy choice. The weather was perfect to be outside, the itinerary means that there are often interesting things to watch, and the barman, Roger, is one of the best, if not the very best we have sailed with.

We spent many hours there, and as often happens there was quite a collection of people who all made it their regular bar. There was usually someone there to chat to (including someone who lives about two miles away from us).

As well as the sail aways from places like Santorini, we had views of thunderstorms, rainbows, warships, sunsets and an erupting volcano. There aren't many bars that can claim all that lot as a view during the course of 10 days.

Outside that, we found the bar service to be very good in ,out places. I sat at the bar at o'Sheehans a couple of times to watch Rugby and the NFL and the service was good there (it can sometimes be slow due to the number of people). The barman in Headliners was also very good and when my wife went there by herself for a couple of hours on the day I wasn't feeling great he really looked after her). I can't think of anywhere where the service was slow, although as previously mentioned we didn't use the pool bar.

One thing I will mention, I usually tip the bar staff as I go. A couple that we met asked me about it as they were intending on tipping at the end (and did so). I mention this, as I so often read on these boards how you need to slip the bar staff and servers some cash in order to get preferential treatment. I can honestly say that there was no difference between how I was served and how the other couple were. It may be different at the busy bars, but I stick with my view that just being polite and engaging with the staff is the most important thing.

This was our third cruise with the premium plus package. Last year we got through lots of champagne both at restaurants and in bars. We knew from these boards that the champagne offer had changed, and therefore went expecting to only have it with meals. There are two rose champagnes available and both were good (Pommery is one, not sure of the other). There were a couple of occasions where we were originally bought Prosecco, bit generally we got the champagne with no problem.

The Champagne was available at quite a few other bars, but we generally drank other things outside of the dining rooms. Of the wines generally available at the bars, my favourite is probably the Decoy Cabernet, and this was always available.

I used Starbucks two or three times a day and we also got through a few bottles a day of sparkling water each. We didn't get quite the value that we did last year, due to drink ng less champagne, but it was certainly well worth it for us. It isn't a saving, as such, as I would never be paying $12 per glass of wine, and would drink still water rather than pay for the bottles, but it is nice to just not have to worry about it. I was half expecting that this could be the last time we upgrade, but unless things change further we will be buying again on our next cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Right, I think that's it. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any, and for anyone going on the Breakaway in the next few months, say hi to Roger from Keith & Pam. 🙂

Will do! I will make it a point to stop at Shakers and give your regards to Roger the barman!

To piggyback on Ken (as we did this cruise last month)

I agree with much he said.

A couple differences: 

We LOVED Valetta--we ate typical Maltese food & wandered & loved it.

Messina--only DD went to town & it was her least fav port. Heard Taormina was FAB.

Florence--we did a Tuscany excursion & it was FABULOUS. HIGHLY recommend.

Agree Taste was slow but Manhatten was fab service--but food comes from the same galley, so there is no difference in quality, tho it certainly can be situational. We were quite please with nearly all our meals but the steaks in MDR were not very good.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

When are you sailing? It's coming up pretty quick isn't it?

Have an absolutely amazing time enjoying the Med with your wife!

46 days until we fly to Rome! I would say I can't wait, but I'll just have to, LOL. 😂 Also, I have a fully packed schedule for the next month and a half, so I'll be keeping busy. Really excited about being on the Breakaway! We fly into Rome a day early and I was able to get us a room at a hotel near the Spanish steps, where we stayed back in 2011 before we were married. Should be a fun trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

46 days until we fly to Rome! I would say I can't wait, but I'll just have to, LOL. 😂 

One of my (many) pet peeves is "I can't wait." Actually, you CAN wait and you WILL wait. 😁 

Unless you have a time machine and can zoom ahead into the future...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

One of my (many) pet peeves is "I can't wait." Actually, you CAN wait and you WILL wait. 😁 

Unless you have a time machine and can zoom ahead into the future...

So true! In Italian they say "non vedo l'ora," which literally means "I don't see the hour." Not sure how they came up with that one! 😕😁

On 9/15/2023 at 8:40 AM, DCGuy64 said:

46 days until we fly to Rome! I would say I can't wait, but I'll just have to, LOL. 😂 Also, I have a fully packed schedule for the next month and a half, so I'll be keeping busy. Really excited about being on the Breakaway! We fly into Rome a day early and I was able to get us a room at a hotel near the Spanish steps, where we stayed back in 2011 before we were married. Should be a fun trip!

Ahhh, we're almost back to back then. My sailing is out in 63 days, but on Pr1ma. I guess we both have to endure the waiting game while not waiting to wait! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ahhh, we're almost back to back then. My sailing is out in 63 days, but on Pr1ma. I guess we both have to endure the waiting game while not waiting to wait! 

Well, at least for me, the time will fly by. Between now and when we leave for our cruise, I think I have maybe 5 days that I'm not a) working, b) rehearsing, c), performing, or d) on another trip. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I like being busy! 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Jetsetter2023 said:

I have T-Mobile and texts were free    My partner has AT&T and she called them and bought the international plan before leaving so she could text  

the app on the ship is pretty basic so we couldn’t message each other through the app; I remember Princess having a cool app that would even show where your shipmates are and reach out to them   There’s a port everyday though so your phone will have service.  We both bought the wifi package on the ship anyway (plus my partner bought the international plan through AT&T on top of that) 

We leave Tuesday for Rome and taking the breakaway cruise Friday.  This is our first  med cruise overseas and I'm excited and nervous about making all the connections but our daughter is going and she's made  most of the arrangements.   We've cruise lots of times on different lines so cruising isn't new to us.