App boarding pass/QR code question

cruzrbachoua

Hey all I have used the app before and I could have sworn last year when our boarding pass/QR code was available I was able to swipe back and forth to show mine and DH...I just got the one for our upcoming cruise and I can only see mine.  Does that mean we both will have to have the app open on our phones to board?  DH tends to set things down and walk away from them and also doesn't have the app on his phone...anyone who recently boarded can you let me know if we have to show both or do they just need to scan one and both can be checked in?

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Hey all I have used the app before and I could have sworn last year when our boarding pass/QR code was available I was able to swipe back and forth to show mine and DH...I just got the one for our upcoming cruise and I can only see mine.  Does that mean we both will have to have the app open on our phones to board?  DH tends to set things down and walk away from them and also doesn't have the app on his phone...anyone who recently boarded can you let me know if we have to show both or do they just need to scan one and both can be checked in?

They just need to see one, if they even ask for it.

Most of the time, they just see your information come up

on the screen from your OM’s as you approach the podium.  No need to scan the QR code.

I’ve only had Barcelona ask for a QR code.  US ports did not.

They just ask to see your documents, like your passport.

Edited by PacnGoNow

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

They just need to see one.  Most of the time, they just see your information come up

on the screen from your OM’s as you approach the podium.  No need to scan the QR code.

They just ask to see your documents, like your passport.

FABULOUS! Thank you so much...I couldn't remember from our last cruise but I knew DH didn't have his phone out as I said he leaves things and or drops them...lol.  

Yep! We have *never* had to show that dumb code for any cruise in about 10 cruises since the Medallion App was first released. Nor have we needed the app at all to check in...for both domestic and Southampton departures. 

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yep! We have *never* had to show that dumb code for any cruise in about 10 cruises since the Medallion App was first released. Nor have we needed the app at all to check in...for both domestic and Southampton departures. 

Thanks I do remember having to show it on one of our cruises but can't remember which one it was.  I know one their scanners broke down and this was when you could still print the boarding pass off the site so I did that and we sailed past folks trying to find their names printed in small writing on lists the workers had.  The next 2 one was out of LA one out of FLL...I remember having to use the phone on one but not the other but can't remember which one it was and I thought I could see both...but after awhile it all starts to blur...

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It makes me wonder what the terminal workers would do in the event of an internet outage during checkin? Just imagine the mayhem if they required seeing that QR code! 

It was mayhem that day in LA...but again luckily at that time you could still print the original paper boarding pass and we were able to jump ahead and go thru security and jump on the ship.  while others kept repeating their names and trying to find them on the sheets of paper....I do still print out our final paid in full receipt from ta/princess and our travel summary as a just in case. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

It was mayhem that day in LA...but again luckily at that time you could still print the original paper boarding pass and we were able to jump ahead and go thru security and jump on the ship.  while others kept repeating their names and trying to find them on the sheets of paper....I do still print out our final paid in full receipt from ta/princess and our travel summary as a just in case. 

Very smart!  Everyone should print their travel summary. 

You never know when you may

need it.  We’ve had outages before too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It makes me wonder what the terminal workers would do in the event of an internet outage during checkin? Just imagine the mayhem if they required seeing that QR code! 

They still need computer access to the system for checking in guests and verifying their information, photo matches, etc.  I don't see how they could process a check-in if the system was down due to internet or other reasons.

4 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

FABULOUS! Thank you so much...I couldn't remember from our last cruise but I knew DH didn't have his phone out as I said he leaves things and or drops them...lol.  

I have not seen the new BP and QR screen in the App - other than a webinar presentation with a photo of it on a slide.  Nothing was mentioned about having only one when signed in - or two for the cabinmate.  IF they were actually going to use it in processing, it does make sense each person having their own.  Makes it seem like the cabinmate would need to be logged in on the device after the first person was scanned. 

Besides the TS copy that has been mentioned by you and others, we could take a screenshot of the BP screen, then get the cabinmate's up and screenshot that.  You could then show the screenshot(s) for check-in purposes.  

I can see why they may have designed it this way, but for a cruise, seems to me either cabinmate ought to be able to pull up both BP screens.  Maybe you back out to a menu profile first?  I am struggling here because I don't know exactly what the latest App looks like nor the newest navigations.  I am also thinking if a family was staying in a cabin, the primary booker ought to be able to quickly access all four BP's. 

OTOH, having a check-in agent scan just ONE BP should be sufficient for check-in purposes as it will pull up the booking and everyone listed under it and you have everyone there with their passports, etc for ID check. 

So, it's not a big deal to me, but a NTH if primary guest could easily access all BP screens.  But I think these screens are primarily for information purposes to confirm to the guest that they are all set to board the ship and which "lane" in theory they should access.