Tender port location Bar Harbor

texbecca

'lo - did the Zuiderdam VoV in July this year where Bar Harbor was our first port. 1025cruise's experience was I think similar to ours: If you pull up Google Maps, we arrived at the pier just poking northeastwards from 55 West Street. When we walked up the pier facing southwest, we had public restrooms (where Google is placing a 55 for me) on our right with the Harborside Hotel/Spa complex off behind it and would pass the Oli's Trolley stand on our left before the juncture of West and Rodick Street. The marker where Google places Town Pier is just one block over (taking a turn left and going down West) with the junction of West and Main and at the foot of Agamont Park.

• Thanks 1

My guess is the new tender location is due to Bar Harbor not wanting cruise ships. The ship has to anchor behind Bar island so as not to be visible. I remember doing a land trip to Bar Harbor and seeing the ships anchor out by the pier, with the tenders being at the town pier.

Just returned from a land trip to Bar Harbor and stayed at the Harborside.  It did appear that tenders were running from the pier next to the hotel.  That was a very small ship from American Cruise Lines.  We changed the dates of our trip to avoid the crowds of the behemoth Escape which was departing the day we arrived.  Not sure if huge ships tender into another pier.  

1 hour ago, SuzCruise said:

Just returned from a land trip to Bar Harbor and stayed at the Harborside.  It did appear that tenders were running from the pier next to the hotel.  That was a very small ship from American Cruise Lines.  We changed the dates of our trip to avoid the crowds of the behemoth Escape which was departing the day we arrived.  Not sure if huge ships tender into another pier.  

We were on Zuiderdam last week and it also was this location. On my phone the closest address looks like 47 West Street. 

The ship has to stay behind bar island, we were told. So it is out of view of the main harbor front. The tenders bring folks around to that west st location and there are tons of tour operators, golf cart rentals, etc right there. It was a foggy day for us, and so the Zuiderdam had to constantly blow their fog horn every few mins.  You could hear it a mile away into town, and we heard lots of grumbling complaints about it.