Bus fare - bills or coins only?

lisabdh1

1 hour ago, lisabdh1 said:

Can someone confirm if the bus drivers can accept five dollar bills or is it coins only? I read the gov.bm page and it says no dollar bills accepted, exact change so just want to confirm if I can bring fives. Thanks.

You are supposed to use coins, tokens or transportation passes. The coins and tokens go into a fare box.  They are not supposed to take paper currency of any denomination. You might find a driver who will take pity on tourists and accept a five but I would not count on it. The government rule is exact change or tokens. They will take fives for the ferry. I always buy the tokens for buses and ferries as they are easier than exact change and a discounted price of $4.50. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You are supposed to use coins, tokens or transportation passes. The coins and tokens go into a fare box.  They are not supposed to take paper currency of any denomination. You might find a driver who will take pity on tourists and accept a five but I would not count on it. The government rule is exact change or tokens. They will take fives for the ferry. I always buy the tokens for buses and ferries as they are easier than exact change and a discounted price of $4.50. 

Thank you very much Charles! Where can I purchase tokens at St. George? I will be there in November, taking the NCL Shuttle to St. George to catch the bus to the Caves. Or is it easier to purchase at Dockyard? Thank you for all your help, your posts have been very informative! Edited to add, found my answer! Thanks!

Edited by lisabdh1

59 minutes ago, lisabdh1 said:

Thank you very much Charles! Where can I purchase tokens at St. George? I will be there in November, taking the NCL Shuttle to St. George to catch the bus to the Caves. Or is it easier to purchase at Dockyard? Thank you for all your help, your posts have been very informative! Edited to add, found my answer! Thanks!

It is easier at the Dockyard but it is easy in St. George too. In St. George you can get them at the Visitor Information Centre on York St not far from the bus stops which are also on York Street. Possibly at the Post Office too but I have never been inside the post office.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 AM, Charles4515 said:

It is easier at the Dockyard but it is easy in St. George too. In St. George you can get them at the Visitor Information Centre on York St not far from the bus stops which are also on York Street. Possibly at the Post Office too but I have never been inside the post office.

And where do you buy bus passes at the Dockyard?  Our plan is to take a bus to Hamilton, then a bus to St. George, then catch the NCL Ferry back to the Dockyard.  This is for next June so I know things can change as well as our plans.

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

And where do you buy bus passes at the Dockyard?  Our plan is to take a bus to Hamilton, then a bus to St. George, then catch the NCL Ferry back to the Dockyard.  This is for next June so I know things can change as well as our plans.

You can buy transportation passes good on both the buses and ferries at the Visitor Information Centre near the ferry dock. One day or two day passes, maybe the 3 day pass too. In the morning before they open the VIC they have kiosks at the ship dock that sell the passes and sell tokens. If you are going to Hamilton you can take a bus #7 south shore road or #8 middle road or a ferry. Ferry is faster. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, vacation44 said:

If all you're doing is two bus trips and then taking the free NCL ferry you'll be spending too much by buying a one day transportation pass, which costs $19 per person. The bus rides only cost $5 each if you pay cash, or you can buy tokens at $4.50 each at the Visitor Information Center, so buying two tokens for each person only costs $9 per person, rather than $19 for  a pass. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, njhorseman said:

If all you're doing is two bus trips and then taking the free NCL ferry you'll be spending too much by buying a one day transportation pass, which costs $19 per person. The bus rides only cost $5 each if you pay cash, or you can buy tokens at $4.50 each at the Visitor Information Center, so buying two tokens for each person only costs $9 per person, rather than $19 for  a pass. 

Thank you!   This does make more sense.