Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

3 minutes ago, chryso said:

That pic of the pork slider and fries is making me a little sad.  The food pics from the past week were so much nicer looking.

I thought that was just me, so I didn’t say anything, but I’m glad someone else thinks so.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chryso said:

That pic of the pork slider and fries is making me a little sad.  The food pics from the past week were so much nicer looking.

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I thought that was just me, so I didn’t say anything, but I’m glad someone else thinks so.

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

Ditto.  It as much care in presentation. 

I could live with the sloppy presentation. The food though is missing the mark a little. It's not been bad, and obviously won't be as good as Cunard, but it was better on the crossing over. The jury is still out, hopefully they will get into their groove.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

Food is not quite as good as it was in the crossing over.  I know there was a large crew turnover so perhaps they are getting the hang of things still in the kitchen.

The fries were not fresh anymore and the bun had dried out on the slider. The pork on the slider was good though. 

Spring rolls were also delicious but needed to be a bit hotter.

For mains I ordered stuffed portobello mushrooms and salmon with extra veggies 716.

16981678348065486853199264794538.thumb.jpg.4aa3a7b49888c38a6b691c1a16f27b5a.jpg

1698167851157802968519566293095.jpg

Obviously was the  ** star Michelin chef's night off 😕..... 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I could live with the sloppy presentation. The food though is missing the mark a little. It's not been bad, and obviously won't be as good as Cunard, but it was better on the crossing over. The jury is still out, hopefully they will get into their groove.

Even Cunard food misses the mark sometimes.
My DW, who makes most everything Italian (she’s a native) and homemade, told the M’D that she’ll go into the kitchen and teach the chef how to make gnocchi as they were Totally inedible. And this was at the Princess Grills level. 
They did not allow her to cook on the kitchen for safety reasons. The pancakes weren’t good either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

Even Cunard food misses the mark sometimes.
My DW, who makes most everything Italian (she’s a native) and homemade, told the M’D that she’ll go into the kitchen and teach the chef how to make gnocchi as they were Totally inedible. And this was at the Princess Grills level. 
They did not allow her to cook on the kitchen for safety reasons. The pancakes weren’t good either. 

Cunard's breakfast was pretty bad. I gave up on it but I am not a big breakfast person. My mom did also and she loves breakfast. Except their donuts, those were good. That was also what my mom stuck to since she has to eat something to keep her sugar levels regulated.

I will be happy to allow your wife to cook in my kitchen any time she wishes. 

• Like 8

Just now, jam19872016 said:

Cunard's breakfast was pretty bad. I gave up on it but I am not a big breakfast person. My mom did also and she loves breakfast. Except their donuts, those were good. That was also what my mom stuck to since she has to eat something to keep her sugar levels regulated.

Absolutely!! We had a wine journalist we met during this summer’s Crossing over for the lunch the week after we got back home. Homemade lasagna and Chianti on the menu. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, NE John said:

The pancakes weren’t good either. 

I am a little glad to hear this.  I had considered ordering the pancakes a few times but always decided against it.  I was wondering if I had made the right choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Not a breakfast person myself, but other than that they sometimes need to reminded that croissants are better eaten warm, I always enjoy their breakfasts. I try never to have exactly the same thing twice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Cunard's breakfast was pretty bad.

I ended up eating fresh fruit and bacon for breakfast every day after the first morning.  If you ever saw a guy with a plate full of melon and bacon, that was me.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chryso said:

I ended up eating fresh fruit and bacon for breakfast every day after the first morning.  If you ever saw a guy with a plate full of melon and bacon, that was me.

Mixed seasonal berries, smoked salmon, rolls, brioche, sausage and bacon, devilled kidneys, mushrooms, toast, plain yoghurt, croissants, in various combinations saw me through my voyage. 🙂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Mixed seasonal berries, smoked salmon, rolls, brioche, sausage and bacon, devilled kidneys, mushrooms, toast, plain yoghurt, croissants, in various combinations saw me through my voyage. 🙂

I agree that all of those sound nice but I was trying to keep away from the carbs in the early part of the day because I knew I would be devouring them later in the day and I didn't want to leave myself as much work when I got back home.  I learned on the Cunard forum that the sea air does tend to shrink clothes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, chryso said:

I agree that all of those sound nice but I was trying to keep away from the carbs in the early part of the day because I knew I would be devouring them later in the day and I didn't want to leave myself as much work when I got back home.  I learned on the Cunard forum that the sea air does tend to shrink clothes.

Seasonal berries, smoked salmon, bacon, devilled kidneys sans toast, mushrooms, plain yog, good quality sausages: no carbs in any of those. 🙂

9 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

My experience is they do this on carnival as well, at least when I'm in the MDR🤷‍♀️

I've had it a time or two, but it's the exception not the rule.

1 minute ago, chryso said:

That must be why my clothes have shrunk 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7