Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You never mention it, but do you have a glass of wine with lunch or dinner?

Not typically. My mom bought me a bottle the other day so I've had a few glasses with dinner but usually I do my drinking after I eat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, jam19872016 said:

After that, the cruise, and review, will transition to a much slower pace as we move from short cruises to my first Transatlantic experience on September 21. A wonderful 13 day crossing to Barcelona with a stop in Bermuda along the way as well as a few stops in Portugal and Spain.

As you are on this portion of your trip, what's the age demographic like? I was kind of surprised to hear there was a young 20's woman on the cruise.

We had two days of lovely weather but today it's gotten ugly again. The captain says it will continue to deteriorate throughout the day.

At one point at lunch it felt like the engines cut off but I'm not sure because I could still see the wake.

20231102_121830.thumb.jpg.22c1279d8a513efb1c04d9a4449b6fcc.jpg

There is some concern if we can make Bermuda tomorrow. If we do, the weather is going to be very nasty. If we don't, that's eight sea days in a row.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

We had two days of lovely weather but today it's gotten ugly again. The captain says it will continue to deteriorate throughout the day.

At one point at lunch it felt like the engines cut off but I'm not sure because I could still see the wake.

20231102_121830.thumb.jpg.22c1279d8a513efb1c04d9a4449b6fcc.jpg

There is some concern if we can make Bermuda tomorrow. If we do, the weather is going to be very nasty. If we don't, that's eight sea days in a row.

If you ever do a Transatlantic on QM2, it’s seven nights and eight days at sea. No stops. The ship itself is the destination. 

You definitely have to be in the right mindset to do a TA. 

• Like 6

I’m sitting shaking my head thinking I’d be going hungry this afternoon if those were my choices. I did appreciate the description of 80/20 chuck for the Salisbury steak and I was also glad to see a matching cruet set and a real pepper grinder. Thanks for the warning @NE John, but the damage was done. Too bad there isn’t a way to insert a warning, “The pictures you are about to see depict food in various states of disarray and may cause pain to foodies. A glass of wine recommended before proceeding.” But, I’m glad you enjoyed your lunch @jam19872016 😉 and I hope the seas smooth out for you. I’m looking forward to your dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, five. said:

As you are on this portion of your trip, what's the age demographic like? I was kind of surprised to hear there was a young 20's woman on the cruise.

Its an older crowd overall but not as old as I was expecting. I think all age groups over 40's are well represented. A small number of 20s and 30s and even a few kids. There were more younger people on the first Transatlantic. I think with Starlink making connectivity a reality, this will become more normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chryso said:

While I love the idea of loaded fries, that chili doesn't seem very appealing.

I added it from the toppings bar. It's not visually appealing, but tasty none the less 🙂

26 minutes ago, chryso said:

If you don't make Bermuda will the weather be nice?

Maybe if we can sail a different direction away from the storms. Winds tomorrow are 25mph, I am not sure how high winds need to be to cancel a port call in Bermuda, but that seems high.

• Like 2