Overnight in Kona tenders?

Lizabu

That will depend on the cruise line policy...you don't mention the cruise line involved. But overnight stays in Kona is a pretty new thing...not sure many have experienced it yet.

Seas can be choppy off Kona, particularly in the afternoon.  I could see a curfew being set.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lizabu said:

Does anyone have an idea how late the tenders can run? It will be in March, so I think it will be dark early.

When a ship overnights typically the tendering is a 24 hour operation just like a gangway would be open 24 hours on a ship overnighting at a berth. Check with your cruise line but you should be able to come and go as you please. Typically the tenders late in the evening are less frequent and possibly based on demand. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm also curious. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice and staying overnight in Kona, and we were thinking of renting a car on the first day to explore Volcano National Park, staying late to hopefully see lava flows, etc. Any updates on these policies? Do the cruise lines arrange for the tender services, or does the port itself orchestrate that? 

6 hours ago, Nobuhle said:

I'm also curious. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice and staying overnight in Kona, and we were thinking of renting a car on the first day to explore Volcano National Park, staying late to hopefully see lava flows, etc. Any updates on these policies? Do the cruise lines arrange for the tender services, or does the port itself orchestrate that? 

The cruise line provides and operates the tenders.

Just to make sure you know the volcano is a healthy drive from Kona...depending which way you go, and subject to lots of traffic. Better to approach the volcano area from Hilo, if you are also stopping there.

• Like 1

You guys are doing a great job of keeping me honest over here. Lol. I now see that when I was originally doing my research, I was under the assumption that corner was closer. Now my life just got worlds easier knowing that I'm going to the volcano national Park from Hilo, a docking port. Thanks for your clarification.