Bikini wax pros and cons wanted...?

Okay... I've never had a bikini waxing. :eek:

How long does it last? (I'm not an ape woman; if you know what I mean)

What kind of pain are we talking about and does it fade rather quickly?

How long does it take for that area to recover...no redness etc...?

What is the best to have done? Just bikini area or more?

Thank you so much for your time and experience.

I get a brazilian every 4 weeks (everything off front to back). It is uncomfortable actually that's horse crap, it's down right painful in my opinion. The redness lasts an hour or so, but fades rather quickly. The results are amazing in my opinion. If I use a depilatory, we're talking doing it again in 4 days. If I wax, more like 3-4 weeks. THe area is smooth with no bumps. Anyone who says it's not painful to have a brazilian, has never had it done IMHO :)

I get a brazilian every 4 weeks (everything off front to back). It is uncomfortable actually that's horse crap, it's down right painful in my opinion. The redness lasts an hour or so, but fades rather quickly. The results are amazing in my opinion. If I use a depilatory, we're talking doing it again in 4 days. If I wax, more like 3-4 weeks. THe area is smooth with no bumps. Anyone who says it's not painful to have a brazilian, has never had it done IMHO :)

How do you deal with being comfortable...if you know what I mean? I am not extremely modest but some things just seem wierd at first. I normally just use an electric razor but for this cruise I want to try the waxing. Thanks.

if you are cruising soon, you may just want to stick to a regular bikini wax instead of going for a full-blown brazilian. If you have several months, work your way up, if you're interested in going for the brazilian. I used to get the brazilian wax done, avoid getting it done right around your time of the month (you're more sensitive and hurts more) and take some aspirin before your appointment to help with the pain. Different spas use different types of waxes. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names, but there is one type that combined with the right technician, really helps dull the pain factor. :eek:

Have it done.

Ask friends where they go.

Make a appt.

It does hurt...

But after, you'll feel soooo smooth and it lasts alot longer than you shaving.

Which leaves stumbles - red marks.

There is a cream that also helps prolong hair growth. This will help the area from having hair growing back quickly. You'll have smoother skin longer.

Check your drug store. (White bottle - blue cap?)

Again, go and have a wax.

I'm so glad you started this thread. I've been thinking about this myself. I will be sailing 4/23/06. I would just like to neaten up. But I had my legs done before and I'm such a wimp that I thought that hurt. Also, how do you avoid that itchy part when the hair starts to grow back? That's actually my biggest worry.

I went to get it done today, just so I know what to expect when I get it done right before my cruise Apr. 23 (same as Sanpris). I took a painkiller before I went in cause I knew it would hurt. I'm not a baby about pain though. I got 2 cavities drilled & filled this week without novocaine. The aestetician said that I don't have much hair down there but still she had SEVERE problems with the wax. When she went to pull off the wax, it was not hard enough & applied too thickly, so the wax BROKE when she pulled it. So now I have wax that is STUCK TO MY SKIN & she has to get it off. It breaks everytime she pulls & it HURTS LIKE FREAKING HELL. So she gets the tweezers to get the wax off & it feels like 20 hairs are being pulled out at the same time. She finishes the rest (1/2) of the area with a different type of wax and gives me a discount. It wasn't all bad however, she did name drop a very reputable place in Houston that I will go to for my next wax.

I'm sorry... but I respectfully have to disagree. I've gotten them done many times, and even the first time, I was pleasantly surprised at how much less it hurt than I had anticipated. I used to take a minor pain med (aleve, etc) before, now I don't even do that. And before you ask, no, I do not have an extremely high pain tolerance, I'm a full on baby when it comes to pain. Maybe it has to do with the technique of the waxer... short and sweet in smallish sections, while holding skin taught. It could just be more painful for one person than another though. (everyone's body is different). I akso have little to no redness, and what I do is gone in 10 minutes. I will agree that the results are long-lasting and well worth it though. :)

I went to get it done today, just so I know what to expect when I get it done right before my cruise Apr. 23 (same as Sanpris). I took a painkiller before I went in cause I knew it would hurt. I'm not a baby about pain though. I got 2 cavities drilled & filled this week without novocaine. The aestetician said that I don't have much hair down there but still she had SEVERE problems with the wax. When she went to pull off the wax, it was not hard enough & applied too thickly, so the wax BROKE when she pulled it. So now I have wax that is STUCK TO MY SKIN & she has to get it off. It breaks everytime she pulls & it HURTS LIKE FREAKING HELL. So she gets the tweezers to get the wax off & it feels like 20 hairs are being pulled out at the same time. She finishes the rest (1/2) of the area with a different type of wax and gives me a discount. It wasn't all bad however, she did name drop a very reputable place in Houston that I will go to for my next wax.

Hun, I am sooo sorry! That sounds awful! Certainly not anything I've ever had to go through. She said you don't have a lot of hair down there though, so not to get too personal, but that could be it, depending on what she meant. If you've trimmed pretty recently, sometimes there isn't enough hair (ie the hair isn't long enough) for the wax to hold onto. Could that have been it? I really hope your next one is better!

It wasn't all bad however, she did name drop a very reputable place in Houston that I will go to for my next wax.

Would you mind sharing the name of this place?

I'm considering it for this summer since we will be traveling a bit and I would rather not have to deal with shaving.

I have never had it done, so please let me know how it goes if you choose this place in Houston.

Thanks...and I'm sorry it was such a bad experience! Yikes.

~e

OK, after reading the post, i have my mind made up, i am going to do it!

I hate having to re-shave half way through a cruise not knowing if the dreaded red irritation is going to appear and i may have to wear shorts over my bathing suit the rest of the cruise. my only problem will be that i don't know anyone who was gotten it done in my area so i do not know what salon is reputable.

I have been getting Brazilians for almost eight years and have them done every 6 weeks or so.

They are not fun but I do not find them terribly painful either and an ibuprofen an hour before makes a difference.

Mine last about 2 weeks before any new growth comes in and then I have wax strips home that are from France that I use myself for touch ups.

The hardest thing is finding the right person and I drive 60 miles R/T for mine which is why I only go every 6 weeks, 4 weeks is ideal.

I could not go back to having hair. It is very clean, very cool and quite comfortable to be hairless.

I do not have a problem with feeling "uncomfortable", I just want it to be finished as it not a lot of fun!

My GYN got me started on these for health reasons (they cut down the number of yeast infections which I am prone to as a runner and one who exercises a lot in the heat) and I have been very pleased in that regard as well.

To answer a couple questions: 1) for a Saturday departure I'd get it done the Tuesday or Wednesday before. That allows any irritation to heal completely, 2) there is no itching when the hair grows back.

I don't find the pain a major problem: a brief sting with each swipe, but the results are worth it. I swim all year around at my health club and usually do my own waxes (Sally Hansen makes some good home waxing products).

I'm glad I started this thread too. It seems to be something a lot of us want to do or already do. Thank you for all the information.

I'm going to start off with just a basic bikini wax and work up to Brazilians.

I'll post about my first bikini wax next Wednesday. :eek:

Hi Gals,

I used to do the wax but now have had laser treatments. Anyone who is a frequent waxer might want to consider hair removal laser to remove the hair permanently. Yes, it hurts but you use a prescription numbing cream first. Yes, it is not cheap but after 6 treatments my hair is 95% gone and has been for a year. Smooth and lovely underarms and bikini line.

In terms of the new waxers I agree with all the previous posts. It does help to take an advil or aleve 30 to 45 minutes before and to go to a reputable, clean place. Also, let the hair grow a bit to atleast an 1/8th of an inch and it will be smoother and less painful.

Good Luck!!:D

A

I had my first bikini wax the Friday before I left on my first cruise (ship departed on Monday). It was uncomfortable but not PAINFUL. I really recommend it so you don't have worry about the stubble and red bumps. I plan to have them regularly as the weather here in the south is starting to warm up and pool season will be here before we know it.

I use to get my bikini line professional waxed (No brazilian for me! Too much pain!). I hurts a lot when its done but well worth it when you don't have worry about on vacation! I've gotten pretty use it so I just wax on my own now. Its stays a little irritated for a day of two. I use Aveda botanical kinetics exfolitor on the waxed skin to help prevent ingrown hairs and razor bumps too! Its helps make your skin look clearer, trust me! Good luck!

I use to get my bikini line professional waxed (No brazilian for me! Too much pain!). I hurts a lot when its done but well worth it when you don't have worry about on vacation! I've gotten pretty use it so I just wax on my own now. Its stays a little irritated for a day of two. I use Aveda botanical kinetics exfolitor on the waxed skin to help prevent ingrown hairs and razor bumps too! Its helps make your skin look clearer, trust me! Good luck!

I'm going to an Aveda concept day spa/salon for my waxing. I'm sure they'll have that product. Do you use it before and after or just after? I can't imagine doing the waxing myself. I do my own eyebrows and stach but wow don't know if I could get up the courage to do my own bikini wax. I applaude you on that. Thanks for the info.

The salon in Houston is called Wild on Wax. This is their website http://www.wildonwax.com/

If you do a search with the name and Houston you can find tons of reviews about it.

Thanks your the best! I am from houston and have been thinking about this but never got brave enough to do it. Shaving is done every other day it feels like.. I will have to make an appointment.. My cruise is this March 25 Princess Grand !!! can't wait.. do you think I should wait and get this done after the cruise so should I be brave and do it now!!!!

I'm going to an Aveda concept day spa/salon for my waxing. I'm sure they'll have that product. Do you use it before and after or just after? I can't imagine doing the waxing myself. I do my own eyebrows and stach but wow don't know if I could get up the courage to do my own bikini wax. I applaude you on that. Thanks for the info.

I use it almost everyday but wait a day or two after you get waxed since your skin will still be irritated. Good choice on the Aveda salon, thats where i use to get my wax's, they do such a good job and aveda makes such good products! Yea, all my girlfriends think i'm nuts for waxing my own...lol but its not so bad after a few times. :D

I would do it now in case there was any irritation. You don't want to get waxed and have your bikini line breakout on the cruise. There will be some growth (the hairs to young & small to get with waxing) but you can always tweeze those.

Archived