Bikini wax pros and cons wanted...?

Only my opinion (have to defend my fellow countrywoman you know )..If you live in a large metropolitan area (Miami, NY, Chicago) go to the Brazilian community and look for a spa or salon there and have a native do it as they will most likely be more skilled and know what is best. If you don't know where one is, go to the brazilian market and ask if they can recommend a salon or spa. Brazilians are VERY warm and friendly and they won't think nothing of it.

I have a nice tall "carparhina" before and after, too..if that doesn't help you forget the pain, nothing will :) Menina

Oh my god, the above story was hilarious----almost what happened to me, but I didn't get stuck to the tub thank God. Just keep in mind that oil (baby oil, sesame oil) will get the wax off...I don't know how, but it unsticks you.

And has ANYONE successfully removed hair there using those wax strips!?!?!? like the above poster, I just managed to get was on, not hair off..

I tried having my husband help me wax my legs (can't see my back side too well) and--I can deal with pain when someone else is administering it but can't do it to myself. What a disaster! He was WAY too gentle with me--and when you're pulling off the wax strip, you can't be "gentle", you must be FAST! Never again:rolleyes: I have my waxing appt on Friday (eyebrows and brazilian--I go to a fantastic hungarian lady--and, since I get a brazilian, I always remove my panties)

OMG Nightnurse. I am laughing soooo hard right now I almost fell off my chair. I have a feeling that you're psychic because that is what would happen to me if I hadn't read your story. Thanks for the warning.

I'll pay to have it done, I'm not near brave enough to try waxing on my own.

crucero-amante and/or Binney -

I had been following this thread and am now considering a bikini wax too. Both of you had decided to have it done before your cruise. I think one appt was maybe this past Wednesday and maybe one was this Saturday. Can either of you tell me how it turned out? meaning -- was it as painful as you thought, as uncomfortable as you imagined, etc. Any info would be appreciated. I am still in the deciding stage.... my cruise is April 30th.

Thanks!

I Just Shave Everything Off! The First Month Or So, I Had Little Bumps, But They Go Away And It Doesn't Take Long Before Its Only A Couple Extra Minutes Done Whenever I Shave My Legs. I Like The "clean" Feel And I Never Have To Worry About Something Peeking Out From Under A Bathing Suit[on The Rare Times I Wear A Suit, Being A Nudist, I Only Wear Them When I'm On A Textile Cruise.] I Would Hate Going Through The Pain Of Waxing

First off- thanks to all who shared their insight- I decided to take a deep breath and try it before leaving tomorrow.

I ended up having both a bikini and full leg wax. The lower leg (knee down) hurt MUCH worse than the bikini wax. It does sting a little, but the woman who did mine was very quick and did a great job.

She offered me the option of 1 time use panties, or wearing my own. I stuck with my own.

She also did a great job consulting with me on where to stop waxing, since I wasn't willing to go with the full brazillian.

So far, I love the results. I have had very few red bumps, and the discomfort faded within the hour. I did take 2 advil prior to going, which I think helped with the discomfort. However, my experience is not typical for a first timer, according to my waxer. I had very few hairs that required tweezing or were "stubborn" to remove. So I was lucky.

All in all, it was better than I expected. There was still some pain, but it was minimal. I would consider doing it again if I continue to like the results (length of time before needing to do it again, etc.).

I would encourage others who are considering it to try it once- then decide if it is for you in the future.

Yep--the ankle is the most painful thing I've ever had waxed!!

My wax Friday was great--HAVE to remember to keep on schedule because the longer I wait in between waxings, the most discomfort I have afterwards. Nothing some neosporin with pain killer and a couple glasses of wine can't handle, but still:p

• 4 weeks later...

I think next time I'll just take a chance and try the strips my self at home, sounds soooo much better! I will take getting stuck over being plucked bald anyday!!

I probably need to explain that I live in a very remote area and there is not a lot of choices of where to go, but if (and that's a big IF) I ever decide to try the waxing thing again, I'll take the hour and a half drive "down below" and look for a super reputable place in Palm Springs or Palm Desert. Well here goes...

Went into the shop recommended by my supervisor at work (now I wonder if she ever tried the waxing thing or not) and since they had no customers (1st tip that I didn't want to be there), decided to get everything accomplished right now (day off, last week prior to my first cruise). Told the "oriental woman" that I wanted a bikini wax and other waxing along with a pedicure and manicure. She leads me off to this dingy awful room and tells me to make myself comfortable on this wobbly dentist chair covered in towels.

Ok, I can do this!! Was wearing a sleeveless top so she decided to start with the underarms first. Up went the arms (look like a football umpire signalling a touchdown) and on went the HOT :eek: wax. Next she rubbed (really really rubbed :eek: ) the sticky strip and RIPPPPPPP :eek: ! After my vision cleared and I was able to gasp (and breathe, just breathe) on we went. After that I delt with the underarm waxing (other than a cringe everytime she touched me) ok, at least I didn't scream (yet).

Next, she worked on my lower legs, and since I was wearing pedal pushers, still no need to disrobe. The leg waxing was good, didn't hurt at all (much more painful to get tatoos on my ankles, and I didn't even wince when that was done).

Now the horrible part! Bikini wax time, stand up, take off your pants and show off your underwear. I purposely wore my smallest pair of butt-floss I had, just a tiny triangle of fabric between me and this wax woman. Ok, back down on the table, look out here comes the HOT wax again! Ok, just burned a bit (I'm sure I'll get more burned this weekend on the cruise) and look out here comes the sticky strips! After alot of rubbing (oh, this is embarrassing, some woman rubbing me extra hard-seen bruises now-in a most delicate place) let's get ready for the RRRRRRIIIIIPPPPPPP :eek:!!!! I screamed and they probably heard me all the way down below... After I recovered, onward we went. Ok, my screams finally became wimpers and cringes but we went on. Wait a minute here, she is touching me in places I thought weren't included in a BIKINNI WAX! She has now pushed my tiny piece of fabric off to the side and is applying the hot wax all over my furry place! After a few more RIPPS, she annouces that my skin "there" isn't taunt enough to do "a bikinni wax" on. Ok, here she comes with the tweezers and sissors!!!

Needless to say, I am now the proud owner of a HAIRLESS patch!!!!!! It looks like someone took a weedeater to it!!!!! Granted the smooth bumpless hairlessness is nice, but I don't think I will ever go back to that shop no matter who recommends it!!!! I did finish with my pedi and mani, and the man who did my pedi was great (he had such fun finding all my tickle spots on my feet) but then "wax woman" did my mani :( and now in addition to a sore spot in unmentionable area, I have cuts on my fingertips too!

Oh well, at least I have the cruise to look forward to, I can still look at the bright side of things (to come) and laugh about the things women do to be beautiful.

DesertSioux,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you had a very unskilled wax lady.

About 15 years ago I bought an item called the Epi-Lady Hair remover. It's had two revolving coils that buzzed around and ripped hair out by the root, so the same effect as waxing.

It worked fine for 10 years, but then it finally died.

I then got another contraption called "Satin-elle" by Norelco about 5 years ago. It looks like an electric razor, but works on the same principles as the Epi-Lady only more gentley, better control and less painful. I love this thing! I'm quite hairless and have no hair on my arms or legs, but use it on my underarms and bikini line. For the bikini line, you can go as conservative or as risque as you want in small increments. No wax, no blades no cremes. And since it takes out the hair from the root, the rate of regrowth is the same as wax.

DesertSioux,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you had a very unskilled wax lady.

About 15 years ago I bought an item called the Epi-Lady Hair remover. It's had two revolving coils that buzzed around and ripped hair out by the root, so the same effect as waxing.

It worked fine for 10 years, but then it finally died.

I then got another contraption called "Satin-elle" by Norelco about 5 years ago. It looks like an electric razor, but works on the same principles as the Epi-Lady only more gentley, better control and less painful. I love this thing! I'm quite hairless and have no hair on my arms or legs, but use it on my underarms and bikini line. For the bikini line, you can go as conservative or as risque as you want in small increments. No wax, no blades no cremes. And since it takes out the hair from the root, the rate of regrowth is the same as wax.

I too am practically hairless but I do need to shave the under arm area and I do have a bikini line issue...So the Satin-elle doesn't hurt as much as the Epi-Lady? I just couldn't deal with that and now I'm not a fan of waxing either.

How long does the hair have to be for the satin-elle to work? The grow out can be a not so good thing...Also that stubbly can snag on the velvet and that isn't good. :)

Ok, I went to a ritzy spa and had my first brazilian bikini wax done. IT HURT SOOO BAD. But I did figure out how it is done (by watching) and bought the exact same wax they used. I waited 5 weeks until the hair had grown back and tried it myself, to my surprise, it was very easy and much less painful than the first time (an pain reliever an hour before really does help too). So for the last year, I have been doing this every 5 weeks, I have all of my friends doing it as well. I will tell you the product I use, cause it is wonderful and heats up in the microwave and comes in a kit with some other helpful slow grow creams, wax remover, application sticks, etc. What I really like about the wax is that there are no strips involved, you just apply it with a popsicle stick and then let it harden as it cools, the peel off fast! It really is easy and quick!

Strip Free is a microwaveable hard wax that requires no muslin strips. GiGi Strip Free Honee forms a soft and pliable piece that is peeled off. The gentle and effective Strips Free Microwaveable Kit is a complete system that includes all the necessay lotions and accessories at one low price. (usually costs $15.99 at Sally Beauty Supply).

Strip Free Microwave Kit contains:

1. 8 ounce Strip Free Honee Microwave Formula;

1. 2 ounce Pre-Hon Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Wax Off Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Skin Concealer Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Slow Grow;

10. Spatulas (small);

10. Spatulas (large);

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/4320/448007

Hope that helps a few of you!:)

Ok, I went to a ritzy spa and had my first brazilian bikini wax done. IT HURT SOOO BAD. But I did figure out how it is done (by watching) and bought the exact same wax they used. I waited 5 weeks until the hair had grown back and tried it myself, to my surprise, it was very easy and much less painful than the first time (an pain reliever an hour before really does help too). So for the last year, I have been doing this every 5 weeks, I have all of my friends doing it as well. I will tell you the product I use, cause it is wonderful and heats up in the microwave and comes in a kit with some other helpful slow grow creams, wax remover, application sticks, etc. What I really like about the wax is that there are no strips involved, you just apply it with a popsicle stick and then let it harden as it cools, the peel off fast! It really is easy and quick!

Strip Free is a microwaveable hard wax that requires no muslin strips. GiGi Strip Free Honee forms a soft and pliable piece that is peeled off. The gentle and effective Strips Free Microwaveable Kit is a complete system that includes all the necessay lotions and accessories at one low price. (usually costs $15.99 at Sally Beauty Supply).

Strip Free Microwave Kit contains:

1. 8 ounce Strip Free Honee Microwave Formula;

1. 2 ounce Pre-Hon Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Wax Off Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Skin Concealer Lotion;

1. 2 ounce Slow Grow;

10. Spatulas (small);

10. Spatulas (large);

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/4320/448007

Hope that helps a few of you!:)

So you just peel off the wax and the hair is attached to the wax? And it doesn't hurt? I have used microwave waxing for my eyebrows and upper lip but I am curious about the product you've been using.

More info please.

I too am practically hairless but I do need to shave the under arm area and I do have a bikini line issue...So the Satin-elle doesn't hurt as much as the Epi-Lady? I just couldn't deal with that and now I'm not a fan of waxing either.

That's my experience. Also the Satinelle has two speeds, the EpiLady had one and it's easier to control so you can go slowly. The EpiLady was much more "aggressive".

How long does the hair have to be for the satin-elle to work?

I kind of don't know how to answer that. What can I say...."not very?"

The grow out can be a not so good thing...Also that stubbly can snag on the velvet and that isn't good. :)

That's the best part, IMO. There's never stubble because you haven't cut the hair off with a blade.(same as wax) My underarms always look like there was never a hair there ever. Sometimes I see a "shadow" on other women's underarms and I find it disgusting. (sorry, just not a fan of body hair and glad I have almost none)

Unlike wax where you have to make an appt in a salon or if you do it at home, it takes time. To do my underarms takes me about 90 seconds and my bikini line, under 4 minutes.

Jane, I have fairly light hair so I don't have that shadow thing going on but I know what you mean. Not very attractive at all.

I did a google search for the Satinelle and it is very reasonable too. I think I'll try it because the waxing thing just isn't doing it for me.

I also don't like hair either. I too am glad that I'm not hairy.

Thanks for the info.

Jo,

Let mw know what you think of it.

I'n honestly surprised that more people don't use it. It's alot cheaper than getting professionally waxed and alot easier and less messy than home waxing.

Jane

I cannot cause myself pain--that's why I go to a salon for waxing! I can't do it at home and the epi-lady--ugh! Satinelle might be better but I'm too scared to try from past bad experiences. Good thing there are so many options because there's something for all of us:p

Jo,

Let mw know what you think of it.

I'n honestly surprised that more people don't use it. It's alot cheaper than getting professionally waxed and alot easier and less messy than home waxing.

Jane

I will let you know. I'll probably order one over the weekend. I might check out Wally World to see if they have one first.

Jo,

I didn't mention this, but Gigi makes a Pain Relief spray to use before you wax and it numbs the area. Its works very well. And the wax is sooo good that it gets ALL the hair the first time, so no need to go back over spots twice. I would give it a try if you can find some. As I said in the earlier post, Sally Beauty Supply carries it and I have seen it listed on Ebay several times.

Wally World?

I gather that's a discount drug store?

Wally World is the infamous Walmart. I hate Walmart but sometimes I do have to go there...for cleaning items; I swear by the liquid Oxy Clean and they have the original pretty inexpensive so I purchase it there.

They didn't have the Satinelle so it's on line later to purchase one.

Jonesey bug; I will consider the Gigi product if I cry when I use the Satinelle. :eek:

I think this sounds so much better than waxing, but I've found 3 products listed for Satinelle (by Norelco) and was wondering which one you recommend or have experience with:

Satinelle for Ladies, Satinelle Soft, or the Satinelle Epilator (the regular one I think).

I'm pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive they are! The same price as one waxing!

All of the reviews talk about the pain...but that's the price of smoothness I presume!

TIA for your input.

~e

~e

MrsRed,

On the Norelco site I see one for $70.00 which cools the skin before use. I've never heard of that before so can't comment on how effective it might be.

Then I see style HP2843 for 30. that also has a razor attachment. Mine doesn't have that.

On a Froogle search, I found HP2841, also $30. I don't recall if the razor option was on that model.

However, mine is about 6 - 8 years old and probably the first model. So, no cooling, no razor options (though I wouldn't want one). It's just the basic model with two speeds. It shows no sign of age or needing replacement anytime soon, so I'm sorry that I can't help you in deciding which model. When I got mine there were no choices. Keeps shopping easy! <g>

Crucero - Ah...Walmart. Yes, I did read here once before calling it Wally World, I just forgot. Thanks.

Thanks Jane.

After reading all of the reviews and the techno mumble-jumble, I am going to get the basic 2-speed model.

I can't see any reason to get something complicated with razors or a built in A/C unit.

Thanks again!

~e

Archived