Bikini wax pros and cons wanted...?

I don't imagine the waxing experience would go well for me - I'm allergic to all ibuprofen-based meds - no Advil, Aleve, Motron, Midol - nothing =| lol I'm stuck with shaving, it seems, and it actually doesn't create as much irritation for me - the hair comes off pretty easily. Can't imagine getting the wax done though without even a painkiller =/

Well I just ordered the Satinelle 2 speed model. It will be here in 3-4 working days.

I've stocked up on Motrin and wine.

Jo: it says it will remove hairs as small as .05mm which is very, very small.

Wish me luck!

~e

Well I just ordered the Satinelle 2 speed model. It will be here in 3-4 working days.

I've stocked up on Motrin and wine.

Jo: it says it will remove hairs as small as .05mm which is very, very small.

Wish me luck!

~e

Although I'm a huge fan of the motrin and wine idea, I wonder if this might work for those of you allergic to ibuprofen:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/dermadoctor/LMX/default.asp?WID=%7B4199E4D8%2D099D%2D4973%2D822B%2DB2619A00DB36%7D

It's a topical anesthetic often used for waxing and laser hair removal.

I think I'll follow suit and try the Satinelle 2 speed model as well.

I haven't ordered it yet but will do so probably by tomorrow. Good news on removing hair that is .05mm because who wants to wait for growth when you are wearing a bathing suit.

I agree on the wine and painkiller I think it's in order for the first time anyway.

Although I'm a huge fan of the motrin and wine idea, I wonder if this might work for those of you allergic to ibuprofen:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/dermadoctor/LMX/default.asp?WID=%7B4199E4D8%2D099D%2D4973%2D822B%2DB2619A00DB36%7D

It's a topical anesthetic often used for waxing and laser hair removal.

It sounds like a great product!

I think I'll follow suit and try the Satinelle 2 speed model as well.

I haven't ordered it yet but will do so probably by tomorrow. Good news on removing hair that is .05mm because who wants to wait for growth when you are wearing a bathing suit.

I agree on the wine and painkiller I think it's in order for the first time anyway.

The hair growth was an issue for me...no way I want to wait. That would defeat the purpose especially while on vacation!

We get free shipping from Amazon..so I went for it!

It will be here on Wednesday.

~e

Crucero and MrsRed,

Gee I hope you both like it as much as I do. Otherwise I'm going to feel guilty!!!:(

Let me know your reviews.

Also, I'm a wimp when it comes to pain and don't need any painkillers with this gizmo. But of course, I've been using it for over 10 years so I'm used to it.

Keep me posted.

Jane

After reading this thread, I went out and bought an epilator tonight. Walmart didn't have any, but Target had a Braun and the one I bought called the OptiPro. I usually use the self waxing strips on my bikini line, and they take most of the hair out. I always have to go back with twezers and get the stray hairs though.

I have to say, I was VERY nervous about using it the first time. It spins very fast and makes a scary noise! I did my arms and hands and it really wasn't too bad. I have moderatly long and thick for arm hair (not coarse, just a lot of it) on my arms being of german decent. It stings a little but the pain is not unbearable.

I did my stomach and it was a little worse. Again, not unbearable just stung. It's pulling hair out, so its roughly the same feeling as waxing, but instead of the massive ripping out feeling all at once, its the same feeling in a lower dose over a longer amount of time. Not really better or worse for me, just different. I have a lot of very very fine hairs on my stomach around my bellybutton and this is what stung the most.

I do like that it doesn't really affect your skin like waxing does. It made my skin a little red, but it has totally gone away after about 15 minutes. Usually with waxing I have red irratated skin for at least 2 hours, and my skin always feels a little weird for a few days afterwards.

I decided that was enough for tonight. I just shaved my legs and underarms this morning so I'll have to wait to try those. I haven't worked up the courage to do my bikini line yet. I'll have to do a little trimming first since I haven't been waxed in a while.

We'll see how it goes and I'll report back! My husband didn't like that it cost $60, but that's roughly 10 boxes of wax strips. It'll more than pay for itself over time.

LMCruiser,

What does the head look like? Is it like two rotating coils or does it look like an electric razor with one coil where the cutting edge would be?

My first one of thise epilators was an Epi-Lady that had the 2 rotating coils. It was alot more painful that the Satinelle which looks like an electric razor.

I hope you come to like it better than the strips.

Good luck.

Jane

LMCruiser,

What does the head look like? Is it like two rotating coils or does it look like an electric razor with one coil where the cutting edge would be?

My first one of thise epilators was an Epi-Lady that had the 2 rotating coils. It was alot more painful that the Satinelle which looks like an electric razor.

I hope you come to like it better than the strips.

Good luck.

Jane

It is the two coil type. However, it is designed so that you can use only one coil at a time if you want as the sides are open. Laying on its side it looks very much like the Satinelle. It has more of the wheels though (30). The Braun I saw only allowed you to use a single coil from the top. Glad I bought this one.

I used it this morning on my face, using only one side as directed. It didn't sting very much, but it didn't get all the hair either. I have very fine hair on my face so I didn't expect it to get it all though. It did a pretty good job. Its very hard to get your skin tight/flat enough on your face for this.

I imagine it stung more than what you describe last night because I used both sides at once. Some people mention these things are slow--I didn't find this the case, probably because I was ripping out so much hair! LOL

I love my arms, they look awesome. I did a little more on my stomach this morning and it still stung quite a bit. I think this is a very sensitive area for me. My face, no problem, but my tummy is aweful!

On to the bikini area! I usually cry a few tears when I wax, so this should be VERY interesting!

Well, I hate to report that the bikini line was NOT a success. It actually hurt very little for the hair it did pull out. BUT, it doesn't pull out very much hair! I have very thick, coarse (large strand) brown hair down there. It pulled my hair, but I just don't think its strong enough to actually pull most of it OUT. I tried it multiple ways, strenching the skin, over and over and it just did the same thing. Bummer!

I'll probably just go back to waxing now. I think it will work for you gals with finer hair, so don't let my post discourage you. I worked GREAT on the finer hair on my arms. I think "down there" I am just one of types that has deep rooted hair, and I probably need to break down and go to a very knowledgable salon.

This may have been asked already but---I read epilators cause more ingrown hairs. Has anyone found this to be true?

I recently had a bikini wax and have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought. It did take 2-3 days for the swelling and redness to subside. But I do love the result!

This may have been asked already but---I read epilators cause more ingrown hairs. Has anyone found this to be true?

Anytime you rip hair out by the follicle - whether you wax, use an epilady or whatever - you're more likely to have an ingrown hair than if you shave.

Best defense is to exfoliate.

Well, I hate to report that the bikini line was NOT a success. It actually hurt very little for the hair it did pull out. BUT, it doesn't pull out very much hair! I have very thick, coarse (large strand) brown hair down there. It pulled my hair, but I just don't think its strong enough to actually pull most of it OUT. I tried it multiple ways, strenching the skin, over and over and it just did the same thing. Bummer!

Sorry that this isn't the ideal product for you. However, from your description of the item, maybe it's the model itself? Perhaps you should return it and try the Satinelle, which is half the price of the one you bought?

Just a thought.

Jane

It is the two coil type. However, it is designed so that you can use only one coil at a time if you want as the sides are open. Laying on its side it looks very much like the Satinelle. It has more of the wheels though (30). The Braun I saw only allowed you to use a single coil from the top. Glad I bought this one.

I can't even imagine what your model looks like. Sorry.

On to the bikini area! I usually cry a few tears when I wax, so this should be VERY interesting!

A few posts back, someone mentioned that there's a creme that temporarily numbs the area. Perhaps try using that?

Definately get it done. I've been getting brazilians every 4 -5 weeks for the past 3 years. It is especially perfect for vacation. It's so much easier to wake up and just throw on your bathing suit without worrying about grooming. The more you get it done, the hair grows back finer & finer. It hurts like hell but I feel it's well worth it especially for hygenic reasons. It also heightens the intimacy factor with DH (if you know what I mean!) The skin usually stays red and tender for a few hours. I put a cream called "Finipil" the day after I get it done (it is made for after hair removal that cools the skin and soothes it). If you are going on vacation and plan to get waxed for the first time, start going at least 4 months before to test your reaction and go 2 days before departure. As far as feeling weird about it, these people do this everyday.....If any of you have given birth your modesty kind of goes out the window during that experience so this definately won't bother you.

Anytime you rip hair out by the follicle - whether you wax, use an epilady or whatever - you're more likely to have an ingrown hair than if you shave.

Best defense is to exfoliate.

I've ordered a Satinelle, too. Maybe Jane could ask Norelco for a commission ;) .

I've been doing my own bikini waxes for some time, but haven't been too conscientious about exfoliating beforehand. Is a gentle scrub with a face cloth sufficient? (Afterward, I use the soothing lotion provided in the waxing kit and/or "Tend Skin" lotion.)

Thanks.

Crucero and MrsRed,

Gee I hope you both like it as much as I do. Otherwise I'm going to feel guilty!!!:(

Let me know your reviews.

Also, I'm a wimp when it comes to pain and don't need any painkillers with this gizmo. But of course, I've been using it for over 10 years so I'm used to it.

Keep me posted.

Jane

No worries.

I did a lot of research on the different models from customer reviews and consumer reports-type of articles.

The Norelco (Phillips) Satinelle 2 speed model and the Satin Ice model (the complicated one with the built in A/C and razor) were the *only* ones out of about 15 on the market to consistantly recieve excellent marks.

I do appreciate your opinion, but I certainly wouldn't hold you responsible if it didn't work for me. Everyone's skin is different.

I've been doing my own bikini waxes for some time, but haven't been too conscientious about exfoliating beforehand. Is a gentle scrub with a face cloth sufficient? (Afterward, I use the soothing lotion provided in the waxing kit and/or "Tend Skin" lotion.)

I use to have problems with in grown hairs after shaving. I have very, very sensitive skin.

Now I use loofah gloves before and after, then a really good moisturizer and haven't had any problems for years. When your skin is soft and void of any flakiness, the hair shouldn't have any issues growing back.

It's killing me not to shave between now and when my Satinelle arrives on Wednesday...but I'm sure it will be worth it.

~e

MrsRed,

Where did you read the consumer reviews? (just curious)

For exfoliating, I use a scrub. I like to change around. Sometimes I've used Clinique and right now I'm using a sugar one. I smell like a cupcake when I get out of the shower, so I love it. I've read that pure cane sugar, (like the one that's been in the cupboard for years and don't put in my coffee) is just as good.

:eek: I'm LMAO reading all this. I can honestly say if there's a method of hair eradication, I've try it. Shaved it with the double edged razor, shaved it with the Daisy, Shaved it with Dad's electric razor, Nair'ed it, waxed it, Epi-ladied it, Brazilian waxed it and finally lasered it. I am a virtual virtuoso of bikini area grooming (and Mom and Dad said I'd never amount to anything)!

Of all of those, the only one I finally gained satisfaction with was the laser. Yes, it's expensive (around here about $150 per visit and it took 3 visits to get rid of what I wanted gotten rid of forever). But I guarantee I spent waaaaay more than that on all those other methods combined with no good result. And along the way I managed to get sliced, diced, burned, allergic reaction (accompanied by ever-so-attractive bright red oozing bumps), ingrown hairs, and endured unimaginably horrific pain, aka

"OHMYGOSHKILLMENOWHOWCANYOUSTANDTHEPAINBRAZILIANWAX:eek: ".

Usually, my attempts met with miserable failure at best and agonizing pain or discomfort at worst. Once rendering me incapable of being even wearing anything like a bathing suit or underpants due to the removal of skin around my bikini area!

Seriously though, the one that worked the best for the money, other than lasering, was waxing. Plain, old-fashioned waxing done by my hairdresser (in a private room of course). Tried the 'do it yourself' bit, that's another hour-long story I won't get into, but suffice it to say it ended with me melting the wax off with a hot hair dryer and scraping with a spoon!

I do suggest that whatever method you choose to try, try it out at least a month before you need to show that area publicly just in case.

Good luck!

Gini

PS...if you believe nothing I say, believe this: there are reasons that SOME parts of our body have hair...not matter what the lady at the Brazilian bikini wax place tells you!

Dandy,

You must be a strong person with an incredible tolerance for pain! You get Brazilian'ed every 4-5 weeks??? Oh my Gosh! I screamed so loudly while they were doing mine, you'd have thought they were killing me...wait, I think they WERE killing me!

If you can stand that much pain and spend that much money, why not go for the laser and get it gone for good?

Gini

I use the Emjoi from Amazon. I decided I was no longer going to shave and I am waaay too cheap to pay for a wax.

I am a large woman with gray hair. I quit coloring my own a couple of years ago and dealt with the grow out line for a while. My hair is almost to the middle of my back and all one length. I cut it myself as well.

I wax my own eyebrows. I don't wear a lot of make up. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I did some research (amazon, epinions.com and Consumer Reports) and the Emjoi sounded like it would work the best.

I am a hairy, hairy woman. I have always had the thick hair that people envy, but they have never considered what it is like to have thick hair EVERYWHERE.

I have tried waxing my legs and that made me cry. It was so painful. I would scream when I would remove the linen strip. The Emjoi is not pain free but it is something I can sit and run over my legs while I read a book. I have not had the Emjoi long, but it works for me.

It even comes with a loofah pad. I will be getting a larger loofah to stay exfoliated. There is not a hair removal system that doesn't have a drawback. Money, time, cuts, ingrown hairs... you decide.

I used to shave while I conditioned my hair in the shower. 15 minutes every other day when I was in a hurry to get out the door. Now I do it at my convience and my showers are much shorter. I am delighted.

Dandy,

You must be a strong person with an incredible tolerance for pain! You get Brazilian'ed every 4-5 weeks??? Oh my Gosh! I screamed so loudly while they were doing mine, you'd have thought they were killing me...wait, I think they WERE killing me!

If you can stand that much pain and spend that much money, why not go for the laser and get it gone for good?

Gini

GiniB.,

You made me laugh! You are right, I should look into the laser. I go to a women who has a waxing business right out of her home and she charges $25 for the brazilian. Can't beat that and she does a great job. When I started I was going to a high end NY salon and it was $60 and they didn't do half as good as the woman I go to now. I guess I never really thought about the laser because I felt I was getting such a bargain. It doesn't bother me. I think I do have a higher tolerance for pain since I did give birth to both of my kids without epidurals. Brazilians are nothing compared to that. When you keep going the hair doesn't grow back as course so it is relatively easy.

I use the Emjoi from Amazon. I decided I was no longer going to shave and I am waaay too cheap to pay for a wax.

I am a large woman with gray hair. I quit coloring my own a couple of years ago and dealt with the grow out line for a while. My hair is almost to the middle of my back and all one length. I cut it myself as well.

I wax my own eyebrows. I don't wear a lot of make up. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

I did some research (amazon, epinions.com and Consumer Reports) and the Emjoi sounded like it would work the best.

I am a hairy, hairy woman. I have always had the thick hair that people envy, but they have never considered what it is like to have thick hair EVERYWHERE.

I have tried waxing my legs and that made me cry. It was so painful. I would scream when I would remove the linen strip. The Emjoi is not pain free but it is something I can sit and run over my legs while I read a book. I have not had the Emjoi long, but it works for me.

It even comes with a loofah pad. I will be getting a larger loofah to stay exfoliated. There is not a hair removal system that doesn't have a drawback. Money, time, cuts, ingrown hairs... you decide.

I used to shave while I conditioned my hair in the shower. 15 minutes every other day when I was in a hurry to get out the door. Now I do it at my convience and my showers are much shorter. I am delighted.

Well, you told us alot about you.

However, you forgot to tell us what the Emjoi is. Wax? Creme? Strips? An electrical device?

Well, you told us alot about you.

However, you forgot to tell us what the Emjoi is. Wax? Creme? Strips? An electrical device?

Jane, it's similiar to the Satinelle. It is a bit more expensive. I have no idea how well it works compared to what you use.

I still haven't ordered one yet. I have so much going on that it is just something I have to get around to.

But I will.

And I'll let you know.

MrsRed should be getting her Satinelle today.

Archived