Bikini wax pros and cons wanted...?

Thank you to those who posted info on places in Houston! I really appreciate it!

Kez...I live south of downtown, so I'm not sure I want to drive all the way to Kemah, but if Lia is that good (and the other place doesn't work out) I may give her a try. Thanks so much!

~e

I had the basic bikini line wax done a couple of times back in the UK and found it to be alot less painful than having my legs waxed!

It takes less than 5 minutes, they do it in about 5 sections, if you hold the skin taught as they do it it is a lot easier.

The secret is finding a professional who is good at waxing, i have heard of a few nightmare stories.

I just need to find a good waxer in my local area now!

I'm going to start off with just a basic bikini wax and work up to Brazilians.

I'll post about my first bikini wax next Wednesday.

Glad to hear you're having it done. Wed. will be perfect time before your trip. If you have any redness it will be gone by then.

It really isn't that painful.

I do not take anything before I go.

I tried giving myself a bikini wax ~ once ~ I was stuck together for 3 days. After sitting, I had to pull my skin apart to stand....LOL I couldn't get all the wax off. My panty-hose stuck to me like clue. I had some really good laughs.

:eek:

I tried giving myself a bikini wax ~ once ~ I was stuck together for 3 days. After sitting, I had to pull my skin apart to stand....LOL I couldn't get all the wax off. My panty-hose stuck to me like clue. I had some really good laughs.

So sorry Sandytoes, but this is just SO funny! :D

No one has mentioned an important fact, you will itch as the hair grows back in! Nothing worse than the strong desire to scratch like crazy as you are standing in a circle of people that you may or may not know.

I usually will wax a week & a half to 2 weeks before a trip to give time for all the wax to wash off and the hair will normally start growing back a few weeks later. ALWAYS worth the (I feel) minimal amount of pain for the convenience of smooth skin and no hairs sticking out of your bikini! After that first rip, it's easy from there. Just be prepared and make sure your salon girl pulls that skin tight! If she doesn't, you will bruise severely and it will hurt a LOT!

ROFL....what a mental picture! OUCH

For future reference, baby oil, or any moisturizer that has some sort of petroleum base, will remove any excess wax.

Tracy

I just checked out the Wild On Wax website. It says they use the hard wax. Is that the only wax they use? I've had the hard wax done a couple of times and to me, it hurts alot worse than the warm honey wax. When I switched to a new spa, the aesthetician told me that the hard wax is better for people with thick hair growth. I am blond and have thin hair so the honey wax has enough pull to get my hairs out without the extra pain.

I used to go to Urban Retreat in Houston off San Felipe but when I switched jobs it was too far out of the way. I'm using D'Elegance on the Katy Fwy now.

When I used to wax I would do the day prior to my leaving - never had any problem with irritation. Your hair grows in many stages so the amount of time you are "clean" will vary. I always found within two weeks there would be some regrowth. Also, there was never an "itch" problem like with shaving. The more often you wax the softer the regrowth and the less painful it becomes.

I also have done the laser hair removal and it is the BEST thing I have done. Much less painful than the wax and it is gone forever! It is price - $200 a session and most women need 5 or 6 session. You only go every 7-8 weeks so it comes to about $100 a month - well worth it.

For those who do the Brazilian I can't imagine going through that every 6 weeks or so for years and years. I would definitely look into laser hair removal.

Hmmm...does anyone know of a reputable place to recommend in the Tampa area? I hate to just pick a place out of the phone book , you know? :confused:

At least, not for this. :eek:

I'm not familiar with anyplace in Tampa, but if you are near the Sarasota/Bradenton area, I can advise on a few places...

Also, if anyone happens to be looking for a place in the Rochester, NY area, I have a fabulous recommendation for that area!

Ladies,

What is all the fuss about some hair? Go to the store and buy a razor and a can of shave cream and ask your boyfriend or husband to give you a shave. I am sure that they would be glad to help and may even enjoy it. Think of the money you will be saving that could be spent on the cruise and the fun you will be having prior to it!:cool:

Ladies,

What is all the fuss about some hair? Go to the store and buy a razor and a can of shave cream and ask your boyfriend or husband to give you a shave. I am sure that they would be glad to help and may even enjoy it. Think of the money you will be saving that could be spent on the cruise and the fun you will be having prior to it!:cool:

If the hair and skin were the same as a man's face then I guess your method might work. :p

I really want to get this done because I cannot stand the irritation from shaving. Some posters say there will be itching, others say not. What about if I am tanning as well?? Too much going on for a wax? This would be my first bikini wax. Here is the scenario for my plan the week before I leave (on a Sunday)

Monday - tan 15 min

Wed - tan 15 min

Fri - tan 15 min

Sat - eye, lip & bikini wax

Sun - hit the airport REAl early for an 8:00 AM flight!

Too much?? OK?? Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone recommend a salon on eastern Long Island?

I would actually consider tanning once after you get the waxing done. It tends to calm any irrition that I have (redness where I was waxed). I leave in 9 days and did the eyebrow, lipwax thing yesterday so that I can tan more now. If I tan and then get the lipwax done at the last minute, that area may turn out whiter when the wax rips off the hair...especially the eyebrow air where hair may be covering untan skin.

I also agree about tanning after the waxing. I am planning on waxing the Wednesday before I leave (Saturday- cruise Sunday) I am also tanning Thursday and Friday.

I normally use my husbands electric razor and I don't have any problems; the area never itches as the hair grows back. I do use witch hazel on the area right after I shave to help with any irritation. For me the electric razor works fine but for the cruise I just want this issue to be a non issue.

I also agree about tanning after the waxing. I am planning on waxing the Wednesday before I leave (Saturday- cruise Sunday) I am also tanning Thursday and Friday.

I normally use my husbands electric razor and I don't have any problems; the area never itches as the hair grows back. I do use witch hazel on the area right after I shave to help with any irritation. For me the electric razor works fine but for the cruise I just want this issue to be a non issue.

A couple of weeks ago I just had one done (I've shaved for years, but I am one of those people that it starts to grow back in a day and get bumpy). I just had a regular bikini wax because everyone I talked to said you should work your way up. The spa I went to served wine, which I think helped. It was a little weird, but I'd been to this particular spa before for massages, pedicures, so I new it was a nice, clean, private place. I also found out that you can't just assume that someone who does bikini waxes also does brazillian. Apparently, just like customers, so aestheticians are a little uncomfortable.

Like I said, I've always had a BIG problem with the bumps, whether I use a cream, shave, or tweeze. You can get bikini razor cream at the drug store (it's basically got the same ingredients as zit cream) but the gal at the spa gave me this great stuff (about $30 a bottle, but it lasts a long time) called Tend Skin and I never had any bumps.

Anyway, I only did a little bit the first time, because I didn't know what to expect. It was painful, but not as much as I expected...but again, she only did bikini line, and I had wine. Instead of spending more money, I tried at home wax strips a few days ago. I made a sticky painful mess and didn't really get much off. You can get the wax off with oil (like neutragena after-shower body oil), but it took me a day to figure that out:eek: .

I'm kind of using the spa as rewards for my fitness program, so I hope to go again next month.

Ahh, what we go through for beauty!

Ok, so I've decided I'm going to do it next Saturday. I'll have 3 more tanning sessions before the cruise.

What should I expect? Do I wear panties? I only want my bikini line done.:confused:

What a kick I've gotten out of this thread - but seriously, what we women have to go through.....

I've only done the bikini wax before vacations, since I don't want to bother with new growth during my trip. Otherwise I use the drugstore version of Nair. It works fine for me.

Binney: I've always worn panties and the spa girls do their thing. They do make you open your legs slightly to get between them and I will admit that that first "rip" is not the best feeling in the world! :p

OK I am officially scared!!! Waxing the bikini area sounds VERY painful. I know there have been some remarks about shaving....I am just curious have any of you tried the mini bikini area razors? I am not sure who makes them but they are little with a 1/2 inch shaving head and they work awesome. Can be used to go "clean" without any problems. No worries on bumps or ingrowns use a little creamy baby lotion and shave toward the sweet spot. Works really good and the razor is the perfect size for touch ups and for making nice clean lines on a ;) .......landing strip. I have my eyebrows waxed and no matter how well or what type of wax used I have the lovely red marks for days. It also hurts like hell!!! Could not imagine waxing front to back I would die. I would say sorry for being so personal usually but it seems we have crossed that line already.:)

Melissa

After reading through this thread, I just have to share this with you...

Just a disclaimer, this did not happen to me and, for all I know, is not even a true story--

All hair removal methods have tricked women with their promises

of easy, painless removal - The epilady, scissors, razors, Nair

and now...the wax.

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix

dinner, play with the kids. I then had the thought that would

ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: "Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet."

So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom. It was one of those "cold wax" kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No muss, no fuss.

How hard can it be?

I mean, I'm not a genius, but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!)

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. "(Cold wax,"yeah...right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull. It works! OK, so it wasn't the best feeling, but it wasn't too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire.

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet.

Using the same procedure, I apply the was strip across the right side of my

bikini line, covering the right half of my who-ha and stretching down

to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip) I inhale

deeply and brace myself....RRRRIIIPPP!!!!

I'm blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!....OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! Vision returning, I notice that I've only managed to pull off half the strip.

CRAP!!! Another deep breath and RRIIPP!! Everything is swirly

and spotted. I think I may pass out...must stay conscious...Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe, breathe...OK, back to normal.

I want to see my trophy - a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip -There's no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX???

Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. I am touching wax.

CRAP! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body,

which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair.

Then I make the next BIG mistake...remember my foot is still propped up on the toilet? I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down.

CRAP!!!!!!!! I hear the slamming of a cell door. Who-ha? Sealed shut! Butt?? Sealed shut!

I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself "Please don't let me g et the urge to poop". My head may pop off!" What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I'll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right??? *WRONG!!!!!!!*

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit.

Now,

the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub...in scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn't melt cold wax. So, now I'm stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cement-epoxied myself to the porcelain!! God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a phone putin the bathroom!!!!!

I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone. It's a very good conversation starter "So, my butt and who-ha are glued together to the bottom of the tub!"

There is a slight pause. She doesn't know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, "Are we talking cheeks or hole or who-ha?"

She's laughing out loud by now...I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box.

YEAH!!!!!

Right!! I should be the joke of someone else's night. While we go through various solutions. I resort to scraping the wax off with arazor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I'm pretty

sure I'm going to need Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this

event.

My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and OH MY WORD!!!!!!!

The scream probably woke the kids and scared the dickens out of

my friend. It's sooo painful, l but I really don't care. "IT WORKS!!

It works!!" I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up.

I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair....THE HAIR IS STILL THERE.......ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I'm numb by now. Nothing hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point.

Next week I'm going to try hair color......

Binney, I also have always worn panties but when you get to the salon, your stylist will let you know what they want. One lady that I went to had purchased special one-time-use panties to give to you to wear, they are loose so she can move them out of her way as needed, without you feeling exposed. On the other hand, I went to another salon once that rathered you wore nothing. That was weird for me the first time, but she was SO fast with the wax, I was done in just a couple of minutes, so I barely had time to register everything.

Archived