Interesting itinerary change

Boatdrill

Just read that the Carnival Luminosa has cancelled going to their scheduled ports in Alaska during their current repositioning cruise.

They left Seattle two days ago, headed for Alaska, and then to Japan. Instead they're going straight to Japan - 10 sea days - in order to 

avoid a storm in the Gulf of Alaska. The guests will be compensated with onboard credit.

I've heard of itinerary changes, but this one is major.  

Just curious if anyone has had something like that happen on a HAL cruise ? 

It is what it is - Mother Nature does not guarantee anything - if a person has their heart set on a particular point - a cruise is not always the way to do it.

Transat a few years ago - Lisbon to Boston - the only port I hadn’t been to - the only port we missed due to weather - St. Pierre et Miquelon - it is what it is.

• Like 2

Have not seen that drastic of a change, but after reading the various articles about it I think it was the right choice.

With the weather predictions for the area you most likely would miss the port and suffer the extreme rough seas. I would much rather have 6 calm days at sea than six stormy ones.

• Like 2

Have I seen examples of cruise lines changing their entire itinerary for a storm. Yes, that happens all the time in the Caribbean. A west caribbean could switch to an east caribbean. A Bermuda cruise could turn into a Bahams cruise. Cruises sometimes even change the embarkation port. These things happen across all lines; they can't control the weather. 

I even saw a recent post on NCL where a panama canal cruise was turned into a southern caribbean cruise. Not for weather, just related to backups in the canal due to low water. 

Edited by sanger727