"Bar Tab"

MarkWiltonM

I've been sailing with Virgin since they launched and I'm going on my 8th Virgin cruise in a couple of weeks.  The crew are issued a preloaded card for their onboard expenses, which they then often use in the coffee shops.  It's usually busy at the coffee shops in the morning when the crew are starting their shifts.  I've been in line behind crew members who have run out of money on their preloaded card and I've purchased their drinks from my bar tab.  They were very grateful.  So if you see a crew member at the coffee shops, give them a treat and pay for their coffee.😃

I can confirm from experience that you can buy a bottle of wine in a restaurant and ask them not to open it, and you can take it with you.  You can buy small bottles of liquor from any of the bars and take it with you.  They're about a half liter, maybe less.  If you think you'll have left over bar tab, buy your small bottles early in the cruise, because they have a limited supply on hand and will run out.

You cannot use your bar tab in the onboard liquor store.  I tried that my very first cruise and they said no.

• Like 1

The ability to purchase an unopened bottle of wine at a restaurant seems to be very mixed.  In November 2023, we were told we could not but we were able to get an unopened bottle from Sailor Eats (room service). 

I agree that you can buy a coffee or other for a crew member at Grounds Club.  The crew has the equivalent of Grounds Club in the crew area where they are charged about 20% of what Grounds Club costs, but many choose to come up to passenger areas for shorter lines and closer access to their work position.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

The ability to purchase an unopened bottle of wine at a restaurant seems to be very mixed.  In November 2023, we were told we could not but we were able to get an unopened bottle from Sailor Eats (room service). 

I agree that you can buy a coffee or other for a crew member at Grounds Club.  The crew has the equivalent of Grounds Club in the crew area where they are charged about 20% of what Grounds Club costs, but many choose to come up to passenger areas for shorter lines and closer access to their work position.

I've been reading different threads about VV and have noticed your comments.  You have a lot of knowledge about VV.  Are you an agent or just a VV fan that cruises a lot with them?

6 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

I've been reading different threads about VV and have noticed your comments.  You have a lot of knowledge about VV.  Are you an agent or just a VV fan that cruises a lot with them?

Not an agent......50+ cruises on all lines, 43 nights on VV so far, and one of those irritating people who does a lot of homework before booking. I can only share my experience.  FWIW, it was The Wake that denied me an unopened bottle of wine.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 6

On 10/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, cantgetin said:

It should show up in your on line account under "add ons,"  I would suggest keeping a copy of your receipt as a screen shot just in case it doesn't load onto the app when you board!  If you used a travel agent, they should also be able to confirm that it is on your reservation.  If you don't see it on the on line account, call VV!  Mine appears in the on line account under the lead sailor's name, but does not appear on the app.

cantgetin you mention the 'on line account'.  Where does one find this as I too have $300 missing from my bar tab for a sailing in March?

26 minutes ago, Kaylacool said:

cantgetin you mention the 'on line account'.  Where does one find this as I too have $300 missing from my bar tab for a sailing in March?

Go to virginvoyages,com.  In the upper right corner, there is a little icon that looks like a person sort of.  Next to that is a downward carrot.  Click on that and it should show you recently searched cruises and at the bottom a red and white thing that says "go to my account."   Click this.  Or it may say something like "create account" if you haven't done it before...fill in the stuff like name, email, date of birth, password.  Then it should take you to your account, which is basically a list of your cruises, Click on the voyage you are interested in (if more than one listed), then click on add ons.  A sidebar should open showing any loot, bar tab, bottle of bubbly, deep blue extras, or whatever.  For instance, you might see something like this....If I was missing stuff, I'd call my agent as she will have a list of what I should have.  If you booked directly thru VV, cross your fingers, hold your tongue just right, and call them.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 11.03.33 PM.png

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Go to virginvoyages,com.  In the upper right corner, there is a little icon that looks like a person sort of.  Next to that is a downward carrot.  Click on that and it should show you recently searched cruises and at the bottom a red and white thing that says "go to my account."   Click this.  Or it may say something like "create account" if you haven't done it before...fill in the stuff like name, email, date of birth, password.  Then it should take you to your account, which is basically a list of your cruises, Click on the voyage you are interested in (if more than one listed), then click on add ons.  A sidebar should open showing any loot, bar tab, bottle of bubbly, deep blue extras, or whatever.  For instance, you might see something like this....If I was missing stuff, I'd call my agent as she will have a list of what I should have.  If you booked directly thru VV, cross your fingers, hold your tongue just right, and call them.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 11.03.33 PM.png

Thanks heaps 😘

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to VV but very experienced on other lines.

we were lucky enough to get the deep blue extra with the loyalty match.  This is showing up in the app as well as $100 bar tab shown separately.

Just wondering if this is an extra $100 or of this is the one included in deep blue?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, KAYTWO said:

Hi, new to VV but very experienced on other lines.

we were lucky enough to get the deep blue extra with the loyalty match.  This is showing up in the app as well as $100 bar tab shown separately.

Just wondering if this is an extra $100 or of this is the one included in deep blue?

Thanks

that will be the deep blue one.

• Like 1