Jump to content

"Bar Tab"


MarkWiltonM
 Share

Recommended Posts

Virgin Voyages doesn’t have any single use plastics on the ships and therefore no bottled water. Filtered water (still and sparkling) is included in the fare. Coca-Cola products and juice from concentrate is also included for free.

 

Bar tab can be used for any charged for drinks, espresso, latte, cappuccino, non-alcoholic cocktails, fresh juice and smoothies and premium drinks like Red Bull.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2023 at 4:36 PM, cantgetin said:

A bar tab on VV can also be shared with anyone you choose...it is a "use it or lose it" situation.  So, if you make friends on the ship, you are free to buy their beverage as well.  It is easy to track the amount remaining by checking the app.

 

This is one of my favorite things about the Bar Tab vs any other cruise line. No 'drink package jail' if you purchase a drink for someone else. And if it's easy enough for you to take bottles with you at the end of the cruise, you can purchase bottles (inventory permitting) from the bars to use up your leftover Tab. I've never asked if I can purchase coffee beans with the Bar Tab from Coffee Grounds. I guess I'll have to ask in November when I'm on Valiant. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

From other threads here it seems like buying full bottles from the bar now requires them being opened to prevent (or at least make it more difficult) to take them home with you so keep that in mind. 

People have reported being able to buy bottles from restaurants without difficulty while bars are not wanting to sell them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BethesdaSC said:

If you order a bottle of wine, but don’t finish it, will they hold it till next night? Other cruise lines you are back in the same dining room the next night so maybe not so on VV?

We just took the rest of the bottle with us and kept drinking it through the evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Do I need to do anything to share my Bar Tab with my spouse in the same stateroom? For example, if he orders a drink and I'm not with him, will it automatically be deducted from my Bar Tab or will they charge him for it? 

If you click on the app that you are covering charges for the other person, he or she will be able to spend from all funds just as if you were doing it.  This includes bar tab, loot, and credit card (if you use up the other two).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. I’ve got a $700 ba tab (matched loyalty and booking bonus) and there is no ay I’m going to get through that in a week on my own.

I was hoping it was akin to onboard credits on other cruise lines where it could be used to offset cost of spa treatments but apparently not.

 

I do drink but not a lot. Maybe I will just have to order champagne rather than my usual occasional glass of Prosecco  or make new friends!

 

I don’t do shore excursions preferring DIY, so my only bill at the end will be for the spa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AmoMondo said:

Interesting thread. I’ve got a $700 ba tab (matched loyalty and booking bonus) and there is no ay I’m going to get through that in a week on my own.

I was hoping it was akin to onboard credits on other cruise lines where it could be used to offset cost of spa treatments but apparently not.

 

I do drink but not a lot. Maybe I will just have to order champagne rather than my usual occasional glass of Prosecco  or make new friends!

 

 

As above, bar tabs are for beverages that have charges.  No, they cannot be used to offset spa costs.  BUT you can choose to but a round for your new best friends, pay for a round for crew members if you see them eating in one of the restaurants, or previously but a bottle of wine or two to take home with you.  There have been reports of  bars no longer selling "to go" bottles, but restaurants still do.  

If you happen to meet people who don't have the complimentary bar tab, treat them.  We booked our next cruise before the bar tab offer was a thng, and since costs increased, it didn't make sense to cancel and rebook....so it is not true that everyone will have the $600 offer.  And ultimately, it didn't cost you anythign, so not spending all of it is not a loss to you.

Yes, your bar tab can be used for basic beers or any other beverage, alcoholic or not, that has a charge.  It can be used for the "bottomless brunches," pairings in Test Kitchen, etc.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. I found a wine list so worse case scenario, a bottle of Dom Perpignan would put a serious dent in the tab. 

 

Only $100 was part of the booking offer, the rest came from status match from being Diamond with MSC.

 

Good to know they won’t freak if I buy for others like some of the other lines drink packages

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love the bar tab concept--it works for everyone whether heavy or light drinkers.  Sure, some of the current freebie tabs may go unused, but if not included in your booking, you simply calculate how many $300 tabs + bonus you think you will use based on the current menu prices and purchase that amount.  No charge per person or per day.  As light drinkers, a "beverage package" on other lines never made sense, while sharing a bar tab is great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Sorry for off topic question: after adding second sailor details, how does that second sailor then see the sailing on their account? 

They can put the app. on their phone and see it.  As far as the on line account, I can see both of us on my account but I don't have a clue if the other party can see any or all of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2023 at 7:07 PM, cantgetin said:

Love the bar tab concept--it works for everyone whether heavy or light drinkers.  Sure, some of the current freebie tabs may go unused, but if not included in your booking, you simply calculate how many $300 tabs + bonus you think you will use based on the current menu prices and purchase that amount.  No charge per person or per day.  As light drinkers, a "beverage package" on other lines never made sense, while sharing a bar tab is great.

Agree. I stopped going for the drinks package on ther lines because often the wines by the glass that were included were mediocre to grim. I’d rather have a single glass of something I like than a litre of cheap vinegar. Also they started getting more picky about which brand of spirits were extra charge.

This is far more flexible for sure, you just have to make it work for you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2023 at 8:27 PM, cantgetin said:

They can put the app. on their phone and see it.  As far as the on line account, I can see both of us on my account but I don't have a clue if the other party can see any or all of it.


It’s based on the email address of the second sailor. I’d to provided at booking, when you login to the app you can put in the booking number and link it and then it shows up on the website. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Feb booking on Resilient Lady which should have come with a $300 bar tab.

 

Should I be able to see that bar tab in the app? When I view Add-ons it shows Deep Blue Extras and also a Bonus $100 Bar Tab. I would have thought that the $300 Bar Tab would show up there.

 

Maybe it appears closer to the cruise date?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I have a Feb booking on Resilient Lady which should have come with a $300 bar tab.

 

Should I be able to see that bar tab in the app? When I view Add-ons it shows Deep Blue Extras and also a Bonus $100 Bar Tab. I would have thought that the $300 Bar Tab would show up there.

 

Maybe it appears closer to the cruise date?

It should show up in your on line account under "add ons,"  I would suggest keeping a copy of your receipt as a screen shot just in case it doesn't load onto the app when you board!  If you used a travel agent, they should also be able to confirm that it is on your reservation.  If you don't see it on the on line account, call VV!  Mine appears in the on line account under the lead sailor's name, but does not appear on the app.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...