Oceania Club Milestone Cruise Benefit Question

bob brown

On 9/21/2023 at 3:18 PM, bob brown said:

We booked what I thought what was going to be my first "Milestone Cruise" on the Vista for this December.  Our Oceania Ambassador on board my recent ATW sold it to me on board, based on my having accumulated 30 cruise credits...15 from my solo 2019 ATW, and 15 from this years, (sharing with my wife).   We had used her "Milestone Cruise", (earned prior to our wedding),  for the segment from Miami to San Francisco.   Since I was included with her on that, they now say that I had already had my first Milestone (even though I had not yet earned it at that time).   That was contrary to what the O Club Ambassador promised.   As instructed by the Ambassador, prior to the final payment date, I notified Oceania that I wished to take this as my Milestone cruise. A couple of days ago, Oceania told me I had to pay in full, as I already had my milestone cruise.  They even claimed this new one would have been my third!   My wife had one previous to us meeting, and the one we shared in December was her second.

Anyway, we canceled the Vista, since we only booked it because we thought it was going to be a Milestone.  So I also lost the on board booking bonus special they had offered at the time. I am rather disappointed in this misunderstanding.  Their policy doesn't seem clear, to me.

I am aghast at the way they denied you the perk you understood you were purchasing!  I recall when I first read about your happy love story onboard Oceania, and you have certainly been an ambassador of good cheer and resilience during a difficult time in your life, turning into a wonderful story.  You deserve much more from Oceania and I for one hope they realize that, before they lose you and your lovely bride to a competitor.   No cruise line is indispensable, but passengers like you are indeed.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am confused @bob brown  do you have  40 cruise credits?

You would need to have 39 cruise credits in order to book the  free cruise

You mention 30 cruise credits  did you book the ATW cruise for 2024 to get you to the next free cruise level ?

It is complicated in your case I guess trying to combine 2 persons credits  

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am confused @bob brown  do you have  40 cruise credits?

You would need to have 39 cruise credits in order to book the  free cruise

You mention 30 cruise credits  did you book the ATW cruise for 2024 to get you to the next free cruise level ?

It is complicated in your case I guess trying to combine 2 persons credits  

I started with Oceania in 2019 solo on an ATW, earning 15 cruise credits. Then married Betsy, who had already taken her first free cruise before we met, and had earned enough for a second free cruise.  I went with her on her second free cruise in December, 2022.  I then booked my second ATW for 2023, and with Betsy with me.  This gave me 15 more, for a total of 30.  So when I asked for my first free cruise, after earning 30 credits, they claimed the one that I shared with Betsy (which she earned as her 40th, or second free cruise,) was my first free cruise.  After the Ambassador assured me that I was entitled to the one for December 2023, I booked it, but when it was time for final payment, Oceania denied it as free, claiming it would be my “third” free cruise, even though I never had one, except for sharing the second one that Betsy earned.
So I guess the main “issue” is whether each individual earns rewards (and gets free cruise, to share with another), or if earning with another somehow combines their rewards…

Like I said, it’s “complicated”, but apparently Oceania interprets it in their own favor…🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, bob brown said:

I started with Oceania in 2019 solo on an ATW, earning 15 cruise credits. Then married Betsy, who had already taken her first free cruise before we met, and had earned enough for a second free cruise.  I went with her on her second free cruise in December, 2022.  I then booked my second ATW for 2023, and with Betsy with me.  This gave me 15 more, for a total of 30.  So when I asked for my first free cruise, after earning 30 credits, they claimed the one that I shared with Betsy (which she earned as her 40th, or second free cruise,) was my first free cruise.  After the Ambassador assured me that I was entitled to the one for December 2023, I booked it, but when it was time for final payment, Oceania denied it as free, claiming it would be my “third” free cruise, even though I never had one, except for sharing the second one that Betsy earned.
So I guess the main “issue” is whether each individual earns rewards (and gets free cruise, to share with another), or if earning with another somehow combines their rewards…

Like I said, it’s “complicated”, but apparently Oceania interprets it in their own favor…🤷‍♂️

sorry to hear that you were denied your 1st free cruise

But you got  a nice wife  instead  😉

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my situation...

My travel agent, who has close contacts at Oceania, after a few attempts to get it for me, was told that they were "looking at making changes to the club"....whatever that may mean.  Whatever it is, it doesn't help my current situation.   

I have thrown in the towel on this, and have low expectations of receiving anything further from them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

Just an update to my situation...

My travel agent, who has close contacts at Oceania, after a few attempts to get it for me, was told that they were "looking at making changes to the club"....whatever that may mean.  Whatever it is, it doesn't help my current situation.   

I have thrown in the towel on this, and have low expectations of receiving anything further from them.

Sorry to hear that

If your TA cannot get it fixed  then there is no hope

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

That does not sound good.

We are doing our best to get to 10. Any changes to loyalty should be positive ones not clawing back.

The mistake people make is to assume that a loyalty program goes both ways.  It's simply a marketing program to generate increased revenue.   It has absolutely zero to do with being loyal to a particular customer. 

Having said that, loyalty programs rarely get better with the possible exception of a severe,  long term drop in business. 

• Like 1

Seems to me that across the board, among many cruise lines, so many passengers have achieved the highest levels, that they feel the need to add ever more higher ones.

They may or may not keep or take away perks from existing program levels.

My hope with Oceania is that they award levels based on individuals records, not shared, to simplify. Further, I think it’s time that they give credits based on days traveled like most of the industry does, including NCL, rather than by cruise.

• Like 2

I posted over a month ago that changes were coming to the program. We don’t know when or what yet. Only thing I was told was 1. You’ll have to cruise to maintain status 2. All Double dipping, like with PPG /OCCAP OBC allowance will disappear, etc. 

The changes will be out, and in effect for, the new ATW release, and subsequent cruise releases. Shouldn’t affect already booked cruises, except perhaps the double dipping of perks.

Time will tell on all others. 

As to Bob’s comment above about days versus cruises. Oceania has a partial system like that now. The biggest issue for Oceania is they have a lot of seven (7) cruises, against a host of competitors,  in the Carribe every winter. Lots of partially filled ships ply those waters and Oceania is an expensive alternative. Taking away cruise credits for those cruises, could make the price delta look even larger. Time will tell.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 7:57 AM, pinotlover said:

I posted over a month ago that changes were coming to the program. We don’t know when or what yet. Only thing I was told was 1. You’ll have to cruise to maintain status 2. All Double dipping, like with PPG /OCCAP OBC allowance will disappear, etc. 

The changes will be out, and in effect for, the new ATW release, and subsequent cruise releases. Shouldn’t affect already booked cruises, except perhaps the double dipping of perks.

Time will tell on all others. 

As to Bob’s comment above about days versus cruises. Oceania has a partial system like that now. The biggest issue for Oceania is they have a lot of seven (7) cruises, against a host of competitors,  in the Carribe every winter. Lots of partially filled ships ply those waters and Oceania is an expensive alternative. Taking away cruise credits for those cruises, could make the price delta look even larger. Time will tell.

We will achieve Silver on our next cruise in 2024 and our Oceania Invoice states the current Silver status rewards included in our booking: PPG, increased OBC so we assume that we will receive these even if they revamp the O Club benefits prior to our sailing.

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

We will achieve Silver on our next cruise in 2024 and our Oceania Invoice states the current Silver status rewards included in our booking: PPG, increased OBC so we assume that we will receive these even if they revamp the O Club benefits prior to our sailing.

Never  assume

You will get those  perks once you step on the ship  if something should change before  that time   you will probably not get the perks

• Like 1