Upgrade Bid Notification Timing

IndyKid

For the first time we bid on an upgrade for our next cruise in November.  We have not heard back and frankly could care less.  It was on a whim to see how it works.  We always book the cabin we want at the location we want so not too much to upgrade.  

Bid the minimum last year for Santiago to Buenos Aires.   Notification of upgrade was received right after boarding in LA for the first leg of a B2B.    Found the cabin was not occupied on the first leg and was able to move in early for no additional cost.  Went from a BD to B4.  I knew where the Premium Balcony cabins where located before bidding.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, we were emailed the opportunity to bid on "Aft View Penthouse and Owner's Suites" on our 14D Christmas Cruise. We bid the max on both (we are in a Penthouse already, at an amazing price, but would really like 2 weeks w/ the Aft wraparound balcony).

Our question is when presented with the opportunity to bid, does that mean the cabin category is available or is it a case of "if this category becomes available we will consider your bid?" Would think that it would be highly unlikely that either of these categories would become available inside the final payment window.

TIA

11 minutes ago, J13C85 said:

Last week, we were emailed the opportunity to bid on "Aft View Penthouse and Owner's Suites" on our 14D Christmas Cruise. We bid the max on both (we are in a Penthouse already, at an amazing price, but would really like 2 weeks w/ the Aft wraparound balcony).

Our question is when presented with the opportunity to bid, does that mean the cabin category is available or is it a case of "if this category becomes available we will consider your bid?" Would think that it would be highly unlikely that either of these categories would become available inside the final payment window.

TIA

On our cruise leaving today you could not buy anything above a balcony for the last month or two, yet on the bidding you could bid on every category up to and including the Sky Suite.  So my guess is that they are covering themselves for last minute cancellations.

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

I initially submitted a lowball upgrade bid, but after some thought I decided I wanted to increase it.  As far as I can tell there is no way to do so once it has been submitted.  Is that right?

yes you can....just pretend you are starting all over again, and the website directs you to increasing your bid....all very simple

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, J13C85 said:

TIA

Cancellations happen!  We had to cancel a week before our Alaska cruise so our Suite became available.  You can even get an upgrade on embarkation day.  We've had that happen too.

I have another question for anyone who won a bid from one suite level to another.

We paid for a full suite and bid on an Owner's Suite. If by some miracle we win the bid, will Princess still count this as 2 cruises (as far as loyalty goes)? I would assume so as we are booked in a full suite now, but, I would also not put it past Princess to say "if you upgrade to a suite as per bidding terms it only counts as one".

Anyone have experience with this?

TIA

On 9/24/2023 at 8:45 PM, buffcurmudgeon said:

It will say expired, if  you didn’t get it 

idk if that has changed but on 10/4 mine said expired and in about 3 hours i saw the charge go thru to my CC and had a new cabin number. our sailing is 11/5 so 31 days out.

• 4 months later...

We are booked in a Mini-Suite on Sky-Princess. Two adults and a 16 year old (who paid half adult price). We have received the upgrade bid but I can’t see anywhere if all 3 of us will be charged full upgrade bid or if it just applies to the two full paying adults? Can anyone help please?

17 minutes ago, Colonelboy said:

We are booked in a Mini-Suite on Sky-Princess. Two adults and a 16 year old (who paid half adult price). We have received the upgrade bid but I can’t see anywhere if all 3 of us will be charged full upgrade bid or if it just applies to the two full paying adults? Can anyone help please?

Only first two guests will be charged for the upgrade