First Timer HAL Cruiser Questions

PointsNerd

I travel with a carryon regardless of the length of the trip.  My steward fills my ice bucket every morning and evening.  If it need more ice, I just call.  The cabin has a refrigerator.  I have never needed a cooler.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

I travel with a carryon regardless of the length of the trip.  My steward fills my ice bucket every morning and evening.  If it need more ice, I just call.  The cabin has a refrigerator.  I have never needed a cooler.  

I, too, ask for (and get) fresh ice twice a day. 
If you put your ice bucket in the fridge, then the ice keeps longer, too. If you need more ice than that, just ask for a second bucket. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, PointsNerd said:

Wow!  Such great information!  Thank you all for sharing and I can't wait to get aboard.

One question that I can't find a lot of talk about is drinks.  We aren't big into alcohol but like the occassional drink.  Drink packages never really work out economically for us but I'm not sure how HAL handles soft drinks.  I'm actually more interested in soda water (flavored or not) ... is that included as part of the free aspect of the cruise or do we need to get into some kind of drink package?

I understand that HAL is doesn't allow for drinks to be brought on board?  Or maybe that was another cruise line I was researching?

The used to have a non alcoholic package called a “Quench “ package. You may wish to inquire about it. Hope you have a great cruise 🚢 

On 9/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, PointsNerd said:

Hi folks,

I'm a first time HAL cruiser and we are booked on the 12-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer on December 3, 2023 on the Rotterdam.  We've booked an Inside Cabin on the aft of the ship and it seems to be pretty small (156 sq ft).  Wondering if you folks might be able to provide a bit of advice and tips for a first timer.

Does HAL offer cheaper upgrades closer in to the sail date?  And if so, how does it work?  I've seen mention of email offers but as a seasoned cruiser of Disney Cruise Lines, I'm more used to having to inquire about upgrades at embarkation day - does that happen at HAL as well?

We are doing the same itinerary in October. We booked an inside cabin after what would have been the final payment date. Ten days later we received an upsell to an oceanview cabin through our TA. This past Tuesday I checked out an emailed promotion and contacted my TA, who was able to get us upgraded to an obstructed view verandah for only $129pp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

I wish. Even though we were in a Neptune Suite last cruise, and asked, we had trouble keeping enough ice. 
Thanks for all the recommendations. I found several collapsible on Amazon that looked good.

44 minutes ago, luv2travel06 said:

We are doing the same itinerary in October. We booked an inside cabin after what would have been the final payment date. Ten days later we received an upsell to an oceanview cabin through our TA. This past Tuesday I checked out an emailed promotion and contacted my TA, who was able to get us upgraded to an obstructed view verandah for only $129pp.

That's great information! What is a TA? Travel Agent? 

I'm also trying to understand what the cellular connection is like. I use Google Fi and I'm trying to understand if I can use the data from my phone instead of paying for WiFi. 

8 minutes ago, PointsNerd said:

I'm also trying to understand what the cellular connection is like. I use Google Fi and I'm trying to understand if I can use the data from my phone instead of paying for WiFi. 

Yes, TA = travel agent.

As far as cellular data, we have TMobile and free cellular data in most ports, but not at sea.

6 hours ago, PointsNerd said:

There are very few cell towers at sea....so ....not good. 

There has been a lot of discussion on various threads of the impact of the new Starlink agreement HAL has taken up.  Search the forum and you will find them.

13 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Great advice! My wife uses a lot of ice, and as we were in a Neptune suite on our last cruise, the easiest way to get enough was to go back and forth to the Neptune Lounge a few times a day. But next cruise is in a verandah, and we will get a collapsible cooler! Any recommendations?

I am currently using these on a 14 day cruise - they work great. Took up no room in suitcase, hold 12 pack can sodas, 6 bottles wine or water + ice. Have removable divider. We got them on ebay.

20230919_161837.jpg

20230917_204003.jpg

20230917_204125.jpg

20230917_072334.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 0106 said:

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

I, too, ask for (and get) fresh ice twice a day. 
If you put your ice bucket in the fridge, then the ice keeps longer, too. If you need more ice than that, just ask for a second bucket. 

Ditto.  I’ve never seen the need for a cooler either.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2023 at 10:29 PM, Crew News said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your first HAL cruise.

Here are some tips to get you started:

• Take advantage of the unlimited laundry for $8.50/day when purchased for the entire cruise.  Items turned in at dinnertime will be back the next morning and morning turn-ins are back the same evening.  I pack for just four days and turn-in laundry morning and evenings.
  •  

This has got me thinking about doing something similar.  On my 17 day cruise unlimited laundry costs $144.50.  But then I could probably go strictly with a carry-on bag and personal item, which would save $70 in checked bag fees on my flight.  And I'd walk my bag on and off the ship so I'd save the $5 tip for the porter.  So the net cost would be just under $70, a real bargain.

Thanks for the idea.

• Like 3