Cancellation Fee Waiver Program

mattR

What is Cunards normal cancelation policy (booking from Canada) in regards to the deposit?  Looking at doing a cruise to Alaska next year with 5 other couples.  Half the couples aren't vaccinated for Covid so they are concerned about what happens if vac requirements are brought back in.  Would the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program work for that?

I work in this area of the NHS (and had my vaccine yesterday!). The majority of the UK - one, if not the biggest, market for Cunard - can no longer get vaccinated. The current round of vaccines is only allowed to those over 65, those who are immuno-compromised, their family members, health and social care workers. That's about 25% of the UK and take up is unlikely to be more than about 75% of that 25%. That gets higher for very frail people, rightly so, but they're not going on a ship anytime soon. It's also virtually impossible to get a vaccine privately in the UK (and most of Europe). So while never-say-never, it's not possible for a vaccine mandate to be introduced this winter.

Canadians book under the terms of the US site. So deposits are refundable until final payment date of four months before the voyage.  

For our voyage a year ago the vaccination and testing rules by both the Canadian government and Cunard  were still in effect. Cunard had quietly dropped their offer to re-book or give a credit for passengers who test positively. I saw nothing to be offered to those who were not vaccinated. 

I don't want to guess what Cunard's policy would be if vaccination requirements are reinstated after the final payment is made. I would hope Cunard would be fair.

5 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I work in this area of the NHS (and had my vaccine yesterday!). The majority of the UK - one, if not the biggest, market for Cunard - can no longer get vaccinated. The current round of vaccines is only allowed to those over 65, those who are immuno-compromised, their family members, health and social care workers. That's about 25% of the UK and take up is unlikely to be more than about 75% of that 25%. That gets higher for very frail people, rightly so, but they're not going on a ship anytime soon. It's also virtually impossible to get a vaccine privately in the UK (and most of Europe). So while never-say-never, it's not possible for a vaccine mandate to be introduced this winter.

France are inviting the various "at risk" groups to be vaccinated with the latest versions of vaccines from October 2nd. That includes me in the over 65 category. My young 🙂 wife will have hers fully reimbursed as well even though she is hasn't been in a target category for over 2 years.

Don't know about the rest of Europe.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, david,Mississauga said:

Canadians book under the terms of the US site. So deposits are refundable until final payment date of four months before the voyage.  

For our voyage a year ago the vaccination and testing rules by both the Canadian government and Cunard  were still in effect. Cunard had quietly dropped their offer to re-book or give a credit for passengers who test positively. I saw nothing to be offered to those who were not vaccinated. 

I don't want to guess what Cunard's policy would be if vaccination requirements are reinstated after the final payment is made. I would hope Cunard would be fair.

I was surprised to see a reference to covid testing when I made my booking today. Vaccinations and/or tests are not required, but there is this paragraph: 

If you're displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 or feel unwell in the days leading up to your voyage, we highly recommend that you take a Covid-19 test before you travel and only travel to the ship if the result is negative. If you’re symptomatic on the day of embarkation, we ask that you declare this to the terminal or check-in staff. Guests who test positive within five days of sailing will not be allowed to embark.

So I guess it's honor system, like the old Noro form we used to have to complete. 

On 10/3/2023 at 8:43 PM, mattR said:

Would the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program enable some of my group to cancel last minute if they put in new Covid restrictions last minute? 

As I read it, No.  As of this writing the "At Ease" program brochure reads, " ..there is no protection from cancellation fees within 72 hours of sailing date." 

On 10/7/2023 at 8:35 AM, BlueRiband said:

As I read it, No.  As of this writing the "At Ease" program brochure reads, " ..there is no protection from cancellation fees within 72 hours of sailing date." 

How about 1 week out?