Need to cancel 2/3 of the people in a cabin

Looking for some insight.

We have about 30 people from our family going on a huge cruise next weekend. My MIL and FIL just found out that her mom is going on hospice. No timeline of when she will pass, but understandably they want to stay with her. 

Kicker is, my niece (26) is in the cabin with them and still going on the cruise. They did not get insurance. So they understand they will be out the money. But is it better for my niece to show up solo and my in-laws just do no show, or should they cancel before and hope they allow my niece to keep the cabin?

Thanks Everyone for your help

Edited by EcruiserKS
spelling is hard.

18 minutes ago, EcruiserKS said:

We have about 30 people from our family going on a huge cruise next weekend. My MIL and FIL just found out that her mom is going on hospice. No timeline of when she will pass, but understandably they want to stay with her. 

Kicker is, my niece (26) is in the cabin with them and still going on the cruise. They did not get insurance. So they understand they will be out the money. But is it better for my niece to show up solo and my in-laws just do no show, or should they cancel before and hope they allow my niece to keep the cabin?

At this point just have them be a no show.  They will get taxes and fees refunded for the 2 no shows post cruise.

Also, by doing the above they still leave options open should something change.

Any other family or friends not going.  Name changes are allowed up until 48 hours prior to sailing

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, EcruiserKS said:

Is there anyone your niece knows who can go in there place?  They can do a name change at no cost as long as one of the original names on the cabin remains.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Is there anyone your niece knows who can go in there place?  They can do a name change at no cost as long as one of the original names on the cabin remains.

This is an idea we are starting to float around with, we didnt think it would be possible being so close to the sail date. Thanks!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EcruiserKS said:

This is an idea we are starting to float around with, we didnt think it would be possible being so close to the sail date. Thanks!

Find someone that will go for half price. At least your MIL & FIL will get 1/2 their money back. It's a great deal for all involved. 

• Like 1