Dress code on Viking River cruise

Steerpike58

Dress has deteriorated greatly. At least half the people dress like slobs.

So basically you can wear whatever the heck you want.

• Like 1

'deteriorated' is subjective.

Certainly people dress more casually - to me this is a good thing.

But  I guess if other people dressing casually is a deal breaker for you, don't go on a river cruise.

Your not kidding as casually to one is just plain scruffy to another. Going on a river cruise to one is a step down from an ocean cruise to some and a step up to others. So the subjectivity is therefore questionable. 
Over my river cruising years dress has changed its never been full on bling but conversely it has never been scruffy. I’ve only ever cruised with Scenic an Australian company who’s customers have been predominantly Australian and actually I would say that their dress when I first started was shall we say just a tad scruffy (that’s the men) - it's changed boy has it changed and I mean that. Gentlemen is it your ladies or what because wow, go boys go you certainly give some other nationalities a run for their money. Okay so that’s on Scenic is it different? I’m sure someone will answer but I’ve seen scruffy and super scruffy of several nationalities and I’m sorry but it’s not - okay I’m going to say it - just not acceptable!

• Like 1

I may be way off base with this, but on Viking I have noticed that new cruisers with Viking and especially the younger ones (20's) are not as well dressed.

We were on a River Cruise over Christmas and New Year this past December and I was actually a bit freaked by some of the dress.  One woman in a different black metal t-shirt every day, and others that just looked like slobs.  

As I talked to some of these folks over the cruise, I found that many were on their first cruise.

Dunno... we will dress as we dress which is a bit elevated from what we wear doing our grocery shop and gardening.

What  is acceptable is up to the companies- Viking, Scenic etc - and if their dress code states casual dress code, then casual dress code is acceptable.

Some people seem very bothered by what others wear. :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Kristelle said:

What  is acceptable is up to the companies- Viking, Scenic etc - and if their dress code states casual dress code, then casual dress code is acceptable.

Some people seem very bothered by what others wear. :classic_unsure:

I personally am not bothered by what others wear, but do participate in these discussions by adding my observations.  We dress how we dress, which is more elegant casual, because it make US feel better and we feel the evening is more of an event when we dress up a bit.

The dress code on Viking is not stated as "casual" end of.  The dress code on Viking is stated as "Elegant Casual".  Big difference.

What often comes into discussion here is that Viking have this posted, but the complaint is they don't always enforce it.  

It is quite clear with examples on their FAQ's

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, swim shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

Edited by CDNPolar

35 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We dress how we dress, which is more elegant casual, because it make US feel better and we feel the evening is more of an event when we dress up a bit.

No problem with that. if you feel better dressing up a bit  (or a lot) do so

But by same token if other people feel better dressing more casually they can do so.

I haven't got my Scenic brochure and FAQ's any more (and yes,  I realise title of thread is Viking river cruises but discussion evolved into Europe river cruises in general ) - but jeans were permitted - and indeed many people wore them.

Many people wore shorts at dinner too - aprox 1/4 of men on any given dinner  night

seems rather odd of Viking to not permit jeans to me since they are commonly worn to restaruants and indeed almost everywhere  on land

Many people wore shorts at dinner too - aprox 1/4 of men on any given dinner  night. Neat almost knee length sort  - as yo u would find in restaraunts at dinner in summer too

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

It is quite clear with examples on their FAQ's

It seems these FAQs are from the ocean cruises because there's no Fitness Centre or World Café on Viking river boats. I posted the following on the first page of this thread:

You can wear casual ALL of the time. Long trousers and long sleeve shirts are plenty good. There's no formal nights, no speciality restaurants.

This is what is on the Viking River Tours FAQ

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; recommended evening dress is “elegant casual.” For ladies, this may include a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; and for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealin
g.

Note the words 'recommended' and 'may'. It's your holiday, wear what you're comfortable in. The indoor public areas  are airconditioned

I've been on 12* Viking River cruises. Having been retired now some years I like to have an excuse to dress up with a shirt, tie and jacket at dinner, but I'm in the minority. It doesn't bother me what others wear and to be frank I don't notice. 

20230426_predinner-fizz-small.jpg

* 13 now and another later this year....

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

if CDNPolar is quoting from ocean cruise FAQ's that would explain differences like No jeans (still seems odd to me but would explain it)  - has been stated many times that river cruises are a more casual vibe than ocean cruises.