Dress code on Viking River cruise

Steerpike58

Jeans are warmer in colder weather so I will have jeans with me for the Christmas Rhine cruise.  I'm happy to see that they are ok for dinner so I can do the dinner, then next day thing.

Personally I don't watch what other people wear.  None of my business. As long as they are clean and don't smell (be cause that would affect me) do your thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TominNC said:

Jeans are warmer in colder weather so I will have jeans with me for the Christmas Rhine cruise.  I'm happy to see that they are ok for dinner so I can do the dinner, then next day thing.

I disagree. Jeans get hard and uncomfortable in the cold. Corduroys are much better for colder weather.

Just now, gnome12 said:

I disagree. Jeans get hard and uncomfortable in the cold. Corduroys are much better for colder weather.

I agree with @gnome12 coming myself from a place where winters are below freezing.  I don't consider jeans a winter wear fabric if I am going to be out in the cold for any length of time.  If I am going to wear jeans then I will have wool long johns on under them.  

On 4/11/2024 at 5:20 PM, Canal archive said:

If you note any experienced walkers, runners athletes will not wear jeans not because of weight or heaviness of cloth, it’s the seams they are so thick the chafe most uncomfortable.

Well ,sure, I dont wear them for running or active sports either.

But for everyday wear, I find them comfortable and wear them a lot. At home and on travels. 

Comfort is purely subjective, of course - but that is me.

I also don't live or travel anywhere very cold so the extremes of freezing weather don't affect me. 

And back to the original point of wearing jeans at dinner  - I doubt any dining room is that cold that you would need long johns under your jeans.

Also, surely people wear jeans for longer than just one evening - I would wear them that day and the next day,( with a different top)  not just dinner and the next day.

Absolutely agree earlier in my many years I splashed out and bought a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt’s  jeans named after an American designer, oh they were definitely jeans but I’d defy anyone to complain about them at dinner! If anyone complains about jeans what about ‘cargo pants’ I think as long as you look as if you’ve made some kind of effort and are clean and er-tidy it will do. Although if for whatever reason there is a dress code common politeness really should apply, shouldn’t it?

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I doubt any dining room is that cold that you would need long johns under your jeans.

The public rooms on board ship are airconditioned and are at a comfortable temperature no matter what the weather is outside. (Private rooms, i.e. cabins, have temperature controls so guests can choose their own level of comfort.)

^^ Yes I realise that.

Which was my point about jeans in the dining room, all this talk of how they are not warm enough is moot point re wearing them to dinner. 

20 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Yes I realise that.

I was agreeing with you. 

The drawbacks of written communication like this forum sometimes make difficulties that wouldn't occur in spoken conversation. Apologies.

• Like 1

I'm another one who will usually pack a pair of jeans if we are travelling when it will be cooler. I find them warm enough (and wear them in -40 temps without long johns) and appreciate that they don't wrinkle or crease.

Guess it just depends on how you live, and what you are comfortable with.

7 hours ago, Daisi said:

Guess it just depends on how you live, and what you are comfortable with.

Yes thats the bottom line.

If you like wearing jeans, do so. If you don't own any or dont like wearing them at dinner or in x situation - don't.

Just don't expect everyone else to adhere to your own personal dress code - which I'm not saying  anyone on here was doing, but sometimes you do read comments saying that sort of thing. 

I read an old review which said they were disappointed Scenic  dont enforce jackets at dinner - which is really silly, since the dress code is clearly stated as casual.

I guess if casual clothing of others  is a deal breaker for anyone, perhaps river cruises are not for them.

• Like 1

You should have seen the picture (in your minds eye) of my grandson soon to go to senior school being taught to tie his tie by his grandfather my DH. I must admit definitely an ahhh moment. Wow did DH and GS get brownie points GS ended up passing on his new found expertise to not only his class mates but others as well. GS’s dad rarely wears a tie so couldn’t do the honours not surprising as his job working for The Kings Trust doesn’t call for it.

• Like 1

Just back. Riverboats are very casual. No dress code.  Wear whatever you want….shorts, jeans, sandals, etc.  When you do excursions in afternoon, people go to dinner  without changing.  Relax and enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2024 at 3:53 AM, Canal archive said:

You should have seen the picture (in your minds eye) of my grandson soon to go to senior school being taught to tie his tie by his grandfather my DH. I must admit definitely an ahhh moment. Wow did DH and GS get brownie points GS ended up passing on his new found expertise to not only his class mates but others as well. GS’s dad rarely wears a tie so couldn’t do the honours not surprising as his job working for The Kings Trust doesn’t call for it.

My son's 30 and if he needs to wear a tie, I do it for him.  We had to wear ties for many years while I worked.  Now, I avoid them as much as I can.

1 hour ago, TominNC said:

My son's 30 and if he needs to wear a tie, I do it for him.  We had to wear ties for many years while I worked.  Now, I avoid them as much as I can.

I can still tie my own tie (I think...) but tying someone else's is a completely different (mirror image) thing.  I could never be a dentist either...

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I can still tie my own tie (I think...) but tying someone else's is a completely different (mirror image) thing.  I could never be a dentist either...

Just tie it in yourself over your collar, then slip it off and slip it on the young man, put it under the collar and then tighten.

I used to wear a tie as part of my school uniform and once on a school trip going across the Italian border the Carabionarie complete with guns came on board the coach and one told me off because he was not happy with the way my tie was tied, us teenagers were quite pleased at all these fit young Italians checking the vehicle. 
When DH retired so did his ties and he had some really nice ones.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

When DH retired so did his ties and he had some really nice ones.

Same here.  I was famous for my carefully selected neckties (mostly Liberty of London).  My son wouldn't think of wearing anything that flashy.

Suites from a small tailors  in Sunningdale who apart from the fuss of choosing the aforementioned suites I was on tie choice duty and yes I believe a gentleman should have just that little Je ne sais quoi, so two suites needed at the very least four ties, silk of course as I have it on good authority no other fabric ties so well.

Liberty’s scarves are to die for.