Dress code on Viking River cruise

Steerpike58

Think on this okay it was a business cruise, out from Southampton across to the Channel Islands and back (the only sea cruise I’ve been on!) all the bling and matching dress and pocket square. Enough to put me off sea cruising for ever. I much preferred being the plus one to the USA!

We've done Cunard dressy cruises and are finished with that sort of thing. However, on Viking cruises , ocean and river, we do change for dinner. I feel the staff has gone to a lot of trouble to present a nice dinner for us and that we should respect their efforts. We're not very dressed up, just showered and changed into a nicer outfit than the one we've worn all day. 

People can, of course, wear what they'd like and we can draw our own conclusions about them. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Suites from a small tailors  in Sunningdale who apart from the fuss of choosing the aforementioned suites I was on tie choice duty and yes I believe a gentleman should have just that little Je ne sais quoi, so two suites needed at the very least four ties, silk of course as I have it on good authority no other fabric ties so well.

Liberty’s scarves are to die for.

If it was Mewes of Sunningdale then they are still going strong !

21 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Just tie it in yourself over your collar, then slip it off and slip it on the young man, put it under the collar and then tighten.

Exactly what I do 

23 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Just tie it in yourself over your collar, then slip it off and slip it on the young man, put it under the collar and then tighten.

DW reminds me that there was one year when that last step might have been hazardous to our teenager's health!  Luckily he knew how to tie his own ties!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We've done Cunard dressy cruises and are finished with that sort of thing. However, on Viking cruises , ocean and river, we do change for dinner. I feel the staff has gone to a lot of trouble to present a nice dinner for us and that we should respect their efforts. We're not very dressed up, just showered and changed into a nicer outfit than the one we've worn all day. 

People can, of course, wear what they'd like and we can draw our own conclusions about them. 

I don't like jumping to conclusions about people based on what they wear.

Many people have mentioned  on here and in my real life observations, that they wear to dinner what they plan to wear  during the day the next day..

I often did this myself too - so really it was the same outfit for day and evening - just a different day. 

Thats absolutely fine especially if for the evening for instance you add a wrap, one worn well looks really classy and fools most of the people most of the time, or a little bling say belt or shoes or necklace just watch it doesn’t drop into the soup. I must admit to finding the dressing bit a lot of fun especially when you wear that little bit of something that looks exquisite and cost pennies. It’s all part of the preparation and build up to your cruise. Lists lists and oh yes more lists use to pack then forget and go with the flow.

Posted (edited)

@Kristelle, I agree with you. As long as the tops on women aren't overly revealing so that my DH drops his jaw into the soup, or the men are dressed in a clean top (not a tank top), I don't care what they wear. I would rather have someone who can carry on a decent conversation than someone who is worried about how they are dressed. I tend to look people in the eyes anyway when talking to them, so don't really notice how they are dressed. 

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 11:39 PM, Kristelle said:

I don't like jumping to conclusions about people based on what they wear.

Many people have mentioned  on here and in my real life observations, that they wear to dinner what they plan to wear  during the day the next day..

I often did this myself too - so really it was the same outfit for day and evening - just a different day. 

Yes, I have mentioned that we do this exact thing because we found that it significantly reduced our packing not thinking about a separate wardrobe for evenings.  But, we don't dress in jeans and t-shirts or tank tops during the day, but find that our dress is acceptable as "elegant casual" in the evenings.  We have over the years purchased a lot of comfortable travel clothing that is smart for day or evening.

• Like 2

Just got back from a Viking tulip cruise.  On our Rhine cruise 4 years ago there were people every night who wore suits and dresses to dinner.  This time, folks just seemed to keep on whatever they wore for the day.  There were some jeans, but nobody looked like slobs.  Some threw on a sweater or scarf to dress up their upper torso, but that was it.  I don't believe I saw anyone wearing a suit, sports jacket, or dress.

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I don't believe I saw anyone wearing a suit, sports jacket, or dress.

You would have done if you'd been on the previous sailing.... 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.b52c7c346f03f06bb2bdf22e7fc76f63.jpeg