Iceland and the Golden Circle precruise extension

Ceegeefl

We are trying to decide if we should sign up for this extension. To those who have taken it, did you enjoy it?  I understand  the Hilton hotel Nordica is located outside of Reykjavik.   Was that very problematic?  Also, how was the flight from Reykjavik to Bergen?  Is it direct and roughly what time do you arrive in Bergen?

We have never been to Iceland or Stockholm where we would disembark. We have been to Bergen and loved it

Thank you very much. 

our July VO cruise ended in Reyk'

we stayed a couple of days and did the 'Golden Circle' on our own ..... I recommend you at least check out this option cuz at the cost of some time on the computer we saved quite a few dollars for the same experience as the 'extension'.

We ended up in one of the hotels Viking uses .... and the GC tour is offered by literally a dozen providers with minor variations. We were in a 'small group' tour of a dozen people; picked up nd returned to the front door of the hotel.

We typically book our own air as well, and as I said we ended in Iceland and returned to the US but in general we've found direct flights to Bergen from pretty much anywhere outside EU are few ... bergen is nt a very big airport. We've begun a VO cruise in Bergen and gone once for a land based visit. Traveling from orlando we've flown direct to Oslo then used the train to Bergen, and more recently few MCO to Paris connecting to Bergen by air. One cruise ended in Bergen and we few to US from Oslo using the opportunity to make the side trip Bergen - Flam over night - Flam railway - then Oslo by rail

Edited by Capt_BJ

2 hours ago, Ceegeefl said:

We are trying to decide if we should sign up for this extension. To those who have taken it, did you enjoy it?  I understand  the Hilton hotel Nordica is located outside of Reykjavik.   Was that very problematic?  Also, how was the flight from Reykjavik to Bergen?  Is it direct and roughly what time do you arrive in Bergen?

We have never been to Iceland or Stockholm where we would disembark. We have been to Bergen and loved it

Thank you very much. 

It is a very nice hotel, but located a long walk or cab ride from central Reykjavik. Flights were fine. Reykjavik airport can be very crowded, but it is small and easy to navigate.

I'm not sure I would say that hotel is 'outside' of Revk, but it is away from the downtown area that's for sure.  I can see why VO uses that hotel because that's fairly close to the cruise port they use.  Reyk airport is a, well I better not say.  It seems to me that the VO extensions are more about convenience and luggage handling, etc. than anything.  You can always DIY it cheaper and have more flexibility, it's more of a personal choice. 

VO uses more than one hotel. We stayed at Fosshótel Reykjavík, there were a bunch of folks heading to VO to board when we got to the hotel. About 1.6 miles southwest of the cruise terminal and roughly half way from terminal to town ....image.thumb.png.05491e6e279cd403dc3632e54dcf1773.png

The International Airport is a 30 mile drive from the cruise terminal.image.thumb.png.a0247a7dc3dc8305d094bba38ebe66f9.png

While Viking does seem to use the Hilton Nordica primarily, we did the Iceland post cruise after Homelands in 2019 and were lodged at the Hilton Canopy in a great location downtown. Really enjoyed the extension and the Canopy.

Do this on your own, you will save big bucks and it’s easy!
we did stay at the Hilton, I liked seeing the water and cruise ships.

we walked downtown, it’s not out of the question. You could take a bus and there are a lot of bikes 

many tour groups to do the circle. We did a small tour, 19 people.

we booked the bus to the airport thru the concierge at the Hilton

Great breakfast!

• Like 1