Solo balcony on Epic

Smitheroo

I saw a question about what a solo balcony was but now cant find the thread. Yes, I've done a search.  Does anyone know what this solo balcony is like?  I read that it is only for solo travelers and the balcony is designed for 1 person.

I was given the option of picking another solo balcony cabin than the one assigned in the search, i saw some on Deck 14 Aft.  No chance of seeing that again, the website is horrible. You get one chance and then every attempt after you get the choice "Keep This" which means the screen freezes or the dots dance and nothing happens.  Yes, I emptied my cache.

Can anyone who can navagate the website better than I can take a look at the solo balconies on Deck 14 Aft on the Epic and advise which one you'd pick. I see one in the bottom  right corner, next to a white area and wondering if that's a stairwell.  

I should add that I am mainly interested in the view of the ocean although would sit outside if it was a nice day in April.  The cruise is a transatlantic to Italy 4/7

Edited by Smitheroo

I have been on the Epic a few times in the past, and I have NEVER heard about any "solo balconies" on the ship. For solo travellers they have the studio cabins, that are all located "inside" the ship. They have only "regular" balcony cabins, that are of course possible to book also if you are only one person travelling. Depending on whenever you book the cruise, you could be lucky and "score" a balcony cabin at a very good rate for one person - but that is it. There are no "solo balcony cabins" on the Epic that I know of..... 

4 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I have been on the Epic a few times in the past, and I have NEVER heard about any "solo balconies" on the ship. For solo travellers they have the studio cabins, that are all located "inside" the ship. They have only "regular" balcony cabins, that are of course possible to book also if you are only one person travelling. Depending on whenever you book the cruise, you could be lucky and "score" a balcony cabin at a very good rate for one person - but that is it. There are no "solo balcony cabins" on the Epic that I know of..... 

Check the website, try to reserve a balcony cabin, be sure to change 2 guests to 1 guest (upper left corner) and you will see all kinds of balcony choices on the Epic.  Aft balcony (most expensive), Family Balcony, Large Balcony, Balcony, Solo Balcony. It is described as suitable for 1 person. If you dont reduce the number of guests to 1, it will say "not available" much like studios do.  

16 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-increasing-cabin-capacity-for-solo-guests/111841

• Like 2

It's a double-occupancy cabin categorized for a solo person. If you've stayed in a balcony on Epic before it's exactly the same cabin.  As the article @ColeThornton linked to points out, NCL has reclassified over 1000 cabins fleet-wide to be 'solo' cabins and grant access to the Studio Lounge (on ships that have one, Epic does) for the passenger sailing in that cabin.

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Can anyone who can navagate the website better than I can take a look at the solo balconies on Deck 14 Aft on the Epic and advise which one you'd pick. I see one in the bottom  right corner, next to a white area and wondering if that's a stairwell.  

All of the Solo Balcony rooms on deck 14 aft on the Epic seem to be across the hall from the spa and fitness center (not across from the entrance, just across from a wall that defines the space).  Pick deck 14 here, the solo balcony cabins are the green ones - https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/deck-plans

I'd pick 14149 or 14151 if I could, they look to have bigger balconies...

44 minutes ago, hallux said:

It's a double-occupancy cabin categorized for a solo person. If you've stayed in a balcony on Epic before it's exactly the same cabin.  As the article @ColeThornton linked to points out, NCL has reclassified over 1000 cabins fleet-wide to be 'solo' cabins and grant access to the Studio Lounge (on ships that have one, Epic does) for the passenger sailing in that cabin.

All of the Solo Balcony rooms on deck 14 aft on the Epic seem to be across the hall from the spa and fitness center (not across from the entrance, just across from a wall that defines the space).  Pick deck 14 here, the solo balcony cabins are the green ones - https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/deck-plans

Thank you, I was unaware that the category gave the solo traveler access to the studio  lounge. 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I notice 14149 and 14151 have what looks like angled balconies.  I looked at a picture of the outside of the Epic and it looks like sections jut out towards the back and these cabins would be in the part that comes out from the main wall of the ship.  Wondering if that's good or bad.   I am thinking since these two cabins are surrounded by fitness/spa/ salon etc it would probably not be noisy late at night.   I'd like to check all the options but trying to use the website is torture.

Sometimes the weekend website is a little wonky, but when I just checked it states that solo balcony cabins are "no longer available" on this cruise. But even if they are, I wouldn't select one on deck 14 because those cabins are very close to the bar at Spice H20 which often stays open till midnight or so up on deck 15. I would probably pay $158 more and select a regular balcony near the aft on another deck. 

The prices on this transatlantic seem very reasonable to me. $1440 for a solo balcony or $1548 for one person in a regular balcony. Gosh, I paid about that for an airplane ticket to Rome this summer. And you are getting 12 days in a balcony cabin with food and entertainment before arriving in Rome. Why not call NCL and discuss your cabin concerns with them.

32 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

Sometimes the weekend website is a little wonky, but when I just checked it states that solo balcony cabins are "no longer available" on this cruise. But even if they are, I wouldn't select one on deck 14 because those cabins are very close to the bar at Spice H20 which often stays open till midnight or so up on deck 15. I would probably pay $158 more and select a regular balcony near the aft on another deck. 

The prices on this transatlantic seem very reasonable to me. $1440 for a solo balcony or $1548 for one person in a regular balcony. Gosh, I paid about that for an airplane ticket to Rome this summer. And you are getting 12 days in a balcony cabin with food and entertainment before arriving in Rome. Why not call NCL and discuss your cabin concerns with them.

I just did. I'm always amazed at how smoothly it goes after all the dithering I go through before I make the call.  I reserved  solo balcony #10292  I chose that over the two cabins on 14 recommended in an earlier comment (the ones with the slanted balconies) because those are not part of the available solo balcony cabins without an xtra charge.  I checked deck 9 and deck 11 and dont think there is anything above and below that might be a problem. I think it states that 10 is where the kids activities are but  I dont think that's a problem late at night.  The airfare (only want it from Rome to Boston , I will make my own way to Cape Canaveral) is $322 which seems like a good deal to me from what I've seen. I removed beverage package gratuities and also specialty dining because I am alone.  Would never drink that much alone and the main dining rooms are fine for me.  The specialty dining gratuity is minor but since main dining room is fine, eliminating the specialty dining eliminated choices to be made. I'm not a foodie although I do like  to eat.   Final price $1677.97 (using a $500 CruiseFirst certificate)  and final payment not due until 12/9 I think.  And of course the service charges. Originally I wanted to take a few days at the end to see Sicily (personal reason why Sicily) but I would need more than 2 days deviation to do that. I can have 2 days so will check out Rome.   The alternative is to pay my own air fare but $322 seems too good to pass up.

Edited by Smitheroo

Congratulations. I think you selected a comfortable and quiet balcony cabin that should give you the fantastic sea views you desire.  And since you will be in a solo balcony, you will also have access to the studio lounge which has the best coffee on the ship IMHO. The price difference between a studio and a balcony cabin on this cruise is only $311. Amazing. I would join you on the Epic but I will be on a Norwegian cruise on the West Coast at that time. I absolutely love that NCL is now offering solo cabins in categories from inside to balcony.  It opens up so many options. Wishing you a wonderful cruise. And yes, I'm jealous about that low airfare too.

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Check the website, try to reserve a balcony cabin, be sure to change 2 guests to 1 guest (upper left corner) and you will see all kinds of balcony choices on the Epic.  Aft balcony (most expensive), Family Balcony, Large Balcony, Balcony, Solo Balcony. It is described as suitable for 1 person. If you dont reduce the number of guests to 1, it will say "not available" much like studios do.  

It’s just a regular balcony cabin priced for a solo traveler.

6 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I just did. I'm always amazed at how smoothly it goes after all the dithering I go through before I make the call.  I reserved  solo balcony #10292  I chose that over the two cabins on 14 recommended in an earlier comment (the ones with the slanted balconies) because those are not part of the available solo balcony cabins without an xtra charge.  I checked deck 9 and deck 11 and dont think there is anything above and below that might be a problem. I think it states that 10 is where the kids activities are but  I dont think that's a problem late at night.  The airfare (only want it from Rome to Boston , I will make my own way to Cape Canaveral) is $322 which seems like a good deal to me from what I've seen. I removed beverage package gratuities and also specialty dining because I am alone.  Would never drink that much alone and the main dining rooms are fine for me.  The specialty dining gratuity is minor but since main dining room is fine, eliminating the specialty dining eliminated choices to be made. I'm not a foodie although I do like  to eat.   Final price $1677.97 (using a $500 CruiseFirst certificate)  and final payment not due until 12/9 I think.  And of course the service charges. Originally I wanted to take a few days at the end to see Sicily (personal reason why Sicily) but I would need more than 2 days deviation to do that. I can have 2 days so will check out Rome.   The alternative is to pay my own air fare but $322 seems too good to pass up.

Turns out the final price was $209 too much because the cruise rep added travel protection.  I get my own so I called to remove it.