Musica Review October 2023

Beamafar

54 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Can anyone tell me how you become a ‘Rare’ one on here?  I see it’s been added to my avatar (yeah - I’m anticipating the responses to that!  🤣). 

It’s for doing a ‘live from’ as comparatively few do them.  EM

12 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Yay.  Fever-Tree    🥳

I know that most people love it. Sadly, I’m one of the few exceptions. Do they have any sugar-free tonic of any kind on board that you’ve seen? We will be boarding Armonia in Ancona, so fingers crossed for Schweppes Tonica Zero! 

Edited by lisiamc

52 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you.  About time, so.  😁  I don’t know how many ‘Live from…’s I’ve done on here. 

I think someone has to bring it to the attention of a mod, who reports to someone else…I don’t think the mods pay much attention to this board.  Maybe we are t rowdy enough…. EM

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think someone has to bring it to the attention of a mod, who reports to someone else…I don’t think the mods pay much attention to this board.  Maybe we are t rowdy enough…. EM

Well, I’ve finally joined your club. 😁😁

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I know that most people love it. Sadly, I’m one of the few exceptions. Do they have any sugar-free tonic of any kind on board that you’ve seen? We will be boarding Armonia in Ancona, so fingers crossed for Schweppes Tonica Zero! 

TBH, I’m not overly impressed with it, either, but, thankfully, it’s not Royal Club. 😱

I’ll find out for you. 

9 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

TBH, I’m not overly impressed with it, either, but, thankfully, it’s not Royal Club. 😱

I’ll find out for you. 

Thank you. And yes, Royal Club is horrid, I agree! We’ve been known to bring our own tonic on board on Azamara, because they don’t mind. I hear that MSC is pretty strict about not bringing anything drinkable on board, so we will try to make a good first impression by not doing anything like that.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Thank you. And yes, Royal Club is horrid, I agree! We’ve been known to bring our own tonic on board on Azamara, because they don’t mind. I hear that MSC is pretty strict about not bringing anything drinkable on board, so we will try to make a good first impression by not doing anything like that.

There was a discussion on the Az forum at the time we had a booking for Journey last year about the available tonic onboard.  

One thing has struck me this morning - there are NO announcements, apart from the ones for the drill, and that was only on 2 embarkation port days.  On WE, there was at least one every morning.

@perakcruiser I was talking last night about the shows to a crew member who does door duty at the theatre.  He advised me not to miss tonight’s show. I asked what it was and he said it was a surprise 🙄. I then asked when the opera would be on; he at first seemed puzzled but then said that that was tonight’s show.  Well, not according to the planner or the app.  It’s another song and dance show (as was last night’s - the theme was about different dance styles and was called Rhythm Divine). 

Which leads me nicely onto the subject of last night’s show.

☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️

Never did I ever imagine I would see Riverdance on a cruise ship (well it wasn’t exactly Irish dancing but they used the music from the show and imitated the choreography 🤣).  I’ll upload the video when I have mobile data. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 2

Most nights there has only been one show on.  Maybe that’s due to the ship sailing at half capacity. 

Buffet was very busy for breakfast this morning. I can only imagine what it would be like when the ship is full.  😱  It’s noticeable that there isn’t the rudeness from passengers that is a usually very common experience on MSC.  There is a really pleasant atmosphere onboard.  

• Like 1

Last night’s dinner menu

IMG_8148.thumb.jpeg.247b68860de616aade47b431bac0090a.jpeg
I asked for the prime rib to be well cooked as it’s usually too rare for me. I also asked for a small portion.  Well, I got smaller slices, but a full serving. 🙄  Mr B had the cod starter, followed by the hake ‘stew’ sans liquid. 🤣

IMG_8157.thumb.jpeg.4299172cfabd5ef4aaed8c1e9283095f.jpeg

IMG_8158.thumb.jpeg.8a171f0f2b048a2de6c200daf541b6f6.jpeg

IMG_8159.thumb.jpeg.1069c4615633f406140c20dd44383324.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

We’re currently at lunch.  We were asked if we’d like to order the pasta dish - no thanks.  A while later, while we were waiting for our appetisers, a waiter came to the table with a bowl of pasta and placed it between us, saying “Maybe you try some?”   Eh - no thanks.  The people at the table behind us took it, instead.  Never experienced a dish being pushed before. 

• Haha 1

Thanks to the wonderful ship on a smaller ship that rarely makes the news elsewhere! Those ships remain being so nice to go with!...

Surprised the Captain has let pax to cross the pool deck in a so wet status. It used to be crew only on those times back in the day...

It seems clear MSC is globally raising up their game on the food department. Not that MSC food was ever ugly as some ever suggest here in CC, but the standards seem to be clearly going up. Good to know.

Their "fish & chips" for lunch, usually offered at gala or end of cruise nights is generally wonderful. It doesn't usually feel like a mainstream dish! The one on your photos make it even feel better than it ever was!... Many thanks for sharing, it is my fave lunch item as well!... Sadly sometimes a shore ex doesn't permit me to enjoy... Oh; those 1st world problems...

A dish being pushed?... Well: At least MSC is reading those pages for years and years: Waiters are too reserved... Service is bad because waiters don't interact... Too European... You know; the usual CC "daily order" when MSC is the subject. They need to somewhat adapt to the desires of some English speaking markets, from where, ultimately some of their money comes from... I'd like to retain their long time quiet discrete reserved professionalism forever and ever... But reality is out there. They're hiring people among a limited talent base that rotates along all the mainstream and Premium lines whatsoever, so they'll one or the other day to have those events where reserved professionalism is sent behind the rear view. We need to get used to it as the trend started back far before the Covid mess. In my last cruise back in 2018, a TA from Brazil to Portugal on the Magnifica, we had all mornings a guy running all the buffet with a trolley selling freshly squeezed orange juice. Nice on that odd morning you wanted to splurge, but not so nice on the other days. Nothing that a polite no never have solved on, but... Not the old time reserved professional MSC and some sort of "nickel & dime" sensation for us... Hope they have the freshly OJ by the buffet done at a better way by now...

And finally up to the Opera show already talked about along the thread: It used to be such a 30-45 minutes show offered once a cruise, either way, before first dinner round at the main theater or at the end of 2nd show time at the main atrium area. It was usually great, but usually it doesn't confuse with the main shows.

Edited by Nunagoras

Here’s a shot of the back of the small Samsung tv, for those who might be interested.  

IMG_8185.thumb.jpeg.13b1169f901b433b50aa2d68e7036f66.jpeg

I don’t bother with the tv.  If it wasn’t there I wouldn’t miss it.  Having said that, there was one time, on Sinfonia from Venice to Durban, where we raided the minibar one afternoon, closed the curtains and enjoyed a free movie that MSC was showing that day.  So many wonderful memories can be triggered by simple things. 

• Like 2