Alaska on Celebrity

Salf777

21 hours ago, Salf777 said:

So we have never done Alaska and our travel agent says Celebrity does not do glacier bay and would recommend another line. In looking I see Celebrity has Dawes Glacier, Southbound glacier, northbound glacier, and Hubbard glacier. She also said that the Seattle to Seattle doesn’t do the inside passage which the itinerary says it does. She said Seattle to Seattle has to go via ocean to make up time and it’s not a scenic. Suggested sailing from Victoria BC   
so my questions are to those who have done 

1. What’s the difference in all these glaciers? Is one better than another?

2. Would prefer flying into and out of Seattle but not a deal breaker do you think the itinerary from Victoria is truly better? We have been to Victoria so don’t feel the need to stay there

3. May is a better time for us to sail but an do June or July is may not a good time to go?

4. Any other insight on Alaska anyone can provide appreciated 

5. Is celebrity good for Alaska or would you suggest another line?

For brevity’s sake, I say your TA is spot on.  
We mainly sail X, but have some RCI when with our kids/grands. However we did Princess to Alaska.  We did a southbound from Seward to Vancouver with precruise time in Alaska.  We went early Sept.  

• Like 1

We did Alaska on the Millenium back in 2019 and LOVED it!  It was a Seward - Vancouver 1 way trip.  That said, we are looking to do again, and when I do make that, I plan on booking with HAL, specifically because I want to do Glacier Bay this time and they can do it where X can't.  I figure it will be a good excuse to try out HAL as well.

We went mid-August, and did a week on land (flew into Anchorage, drove to Denali from there) before boarding.    It was unusually hot when we were there (temps in the 90s!) so didn't see much wildlife in Denali, where everything is adapted for cold and not the heat, but it was still beautiful.   A highlight was a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward the day before we boarded the cruise ship - we saw orcas and otters and puffins and glaciers - really amazing trip!  Another highlight was an excursion from Ketchikan where we took a seaplane and hiked to Anon Creek (I think that's what it was called) and were up close and personal with bears!

Edited by saffy12
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Salf777 said:

She also said that the Seattle to Seattle doesn’t do the inside passage which the itinerary says it does.

I think she means that Seattle to Seattle sails around Vancouver Island while Vancouver to Vancouver itineraries sail between Vancouver Island and the mainland, which makes for very scenic sea days to start and end the cruise. Seattle round trips also have a very short stop at Victoria to satisfy the PVSA which adds almost no value to the itinerary

• Like 4