Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East

Hill Country Dakota

43 minutes ago, Prosecco220 said:

As you say, factors arise during a cruise that may force the ship to avoid a port. That is understandable. However, if Viking knew a FULL MONTH AHEAD that a cruise could not stop in ANY of the scheduled ports, I feel sure they would cancel the cruise and give refunds. Oceania is trying to salvage this pretty expensive Holy Lands and Middle East trip by abandoning the original itinerary and substituting an entirely different cruise, Greek Islands, and refusing to let us reschedule. Plus, in order to reposition their ship and not lose money, they’re subjecting their customers to 9 days sailing through a war zone. Unconscionable!

Exactly !

• Like 1

1.  Oceania must increase GREATLY the number of crafts

and art loft activities. This is key.  On the Oceania and Regent Tahiti cruise the crafts were spectacular, wonderful jewelry. We need this and more.

2.  Get newer movies that we have not seen you and popular ones like Oppenheimer and Barbie

3. increased enrichment classes and lectures

4.  OCEANIA MUST HEAT THE POOLS TO MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SO at least WE CAN SWIM

5. get additional fitness instructors and classes,  attempt to make this now a spa fitness experience

6.. get two dozen copies of the the top ten books on The NY Times fiction and nonfiction best seller list 

WANT TO KNOW WHAT OCEANIA IS DOING TO MAKE NINE DAYS STRAIGHT AT SEA MORE TOLERABLE

WE MUST DEMAND THIS

PLEASE

oceania needs to be proactive if they have any chance of us using Oceania again

they should let us know that they are trying to improve onboard experience for this  dangerous journey,

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Abby0651 said:

1.  Oceania must increase GREATLY the number of crafts

and art loft activities. This is key.  On the Oceania and Regent Tahiti cruise the crafts were spectacular, wonderful jewelry. We need this and more.

2.  Get newer movies that we have not seen you and popular ones like Oppenheimer and Barbie

3. increased enrichment classes and lectures

4.  OCEANIA MUST HEAT THE POOLS TO MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SO at least WE CAN SWIM

5. get additional fitness instructors and classes,  attempt to make this now a spa fitness experience

6.. get two dozen copies of the the top ten books on The NY Times fiction and nonfiction best seller list 

WANT TO KNOW WHAT OCEANIA IS DOING TO MAKE NINE DAYS STRAIGHT AT SEA MORE TOLERABLE

WE MUST DEMAND THIS

PLEASE

oceania needs to be proactive if they have any chance of us using Oceania again

they should let us know that they are trying to improve onboard experience for this  dangerous journey,

Good luck. Load your Kindle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Actually I am all about the ports on the most delicious ship.

I do not gamble, drink, or do entertainment, none

but I love crafts enrichment movies reading, not to the detriment of sightseeing

love love love sightseeing

They have all the cancelled cruisers money, these cruisers paid in full and now Oceania does not have to feed these guests.

use this to make trip more tolerable

do it now

let us know Oceania

• Like 1

As you say, factors arise during a cruise that may force the ship to avoid a port. That is understandable. However, if Viking knew a full month ahead that a particular cruise could not stop in ANY of the scheduled ports, I feel sure they would cancel the cruise and give refunds. Oceania is trying to salvage this pretty expensive trip by abandoning the original itinerary and substituting an entirely different cruise. Plus they’re subjecting their customers to 9 days sailing through a war zone. 

• Like 3

We received notice, today, from "O" that they have revamped the last April itinerary of the Vista to cancel both ports in Turkey (Istanbul and Kusadasi) and replace them with several Greek ports.  I would assume that Erdogen's recent threat to declare was on Israel played into "O's" decision.  It will be interesting to see if the other major lines also decide to avoid Turkey.

Hank

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We received notice, today, from "O" that they have revamped the last April itinerary of the Vista to cancel both ports in Turkey (Istanbul and Kusadasi) and replace them with several Greek ports.  I would assume that Erdogen's recent threat to declare was on Israel played into "O's" decision.  It will be interesting to see if the other major lines also decide to avoid Turkey.

Hank

Wonder about sailings now ???

• Like 1

Hello.  I paid for ship excursions for myself and two daughters in Israel, Jordan, Oman.  These ports were all cancelled.  Oceania cancelled the ports and the excursions.  So far Oceania has not credited me back.  When I called them and waited a considerable time on hold, the staffer seemed confused saying I was credited back $500.  I've paid in excess of $2500.  I have requested an itemized statement of all Oceania charges.  I know what has been charged on my credit card, but I want an itemized statement from Oceania detailing what these charges were for.  There was reluctance on the staffer's part to provide this.  Surely this is usual for someone to ask for and receive an itemized statement.  Or is this another part of their contract which reads if Oceania cancels excursions, the passenger doesn't get his/her money back.  It's back enough I'm forced to go on a cruise I don't want to go on "go on this cruise or forfeit your money" but then not to get an itemized statement of charges.  What kind of a company is this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1 EastEnder said:

Hello.  I paid for ship excursions for myself and two daughters in Israel, Jordan, Oman.  These ports were all cancelled.  Oceania cancelled the ports and the excursions.  So far Oceania has not credited me back.  When I called them and waited a considerable time on hold, the staffer seemed confused saying I was credited back $500.  I've paid in excess of $2500.  I have requested an itemized statement of all Oceania charges.  I know what has been charged on my credit card, but I want an itemized statement from Oceania detailing what these charges were for.  There was reluctance on the staffer's part to provide this.  Surely this is usual for someone to ask for and receive an itemized statement.  Or is this another part of their contract which reads if Oceania cancels excursions, the passenger doesn't get his/her money back.  It's back enough I'm forced to go on a cruise I don't want to go on "go on this cruise or forfeit your money" but then not to get an itemized statement of charges.  What kind of a company is this?

I would ask your TA to provide you with the details....also you can go to your account on the O website and click on "manage cruise" and then it shows your ship excursions paid for, etc.  You should have received an itemized shore excursion purchase when you originally purchased the shore excursions.  Out TA always forwards this to us so we have a detail of all shore excursions purchased and a break down of how our OBC has need allocated.   As far as excursions refunding when a port is canceled, they have always either credited the cc we used to pay for them or reinstated the OBC used to purchase.

6 minutes ago, basor said:

I would ask your TA to provide you with the details....also you can go to your account on the O website and click on "manage cruise" and then it shows your ship excursions paid for, etc.  You should have received an itemized shore excursion purchase when you originally purchased the shore excursions.  Out TA always forwards this to us so we have a detail of all shore excursions purchased and a break down of how our OBC has need allocated.   As far as excursions refunding when a port is canceled, they have always either credited the cc we used to pay for them or reinstated the OBC used to purchase.

All the shore excursions that are cancelled should be credited back in full. Mine were done automatically 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe they are slowly reimbursing these charges.  We were reimbursed for the Egypt overland trip. but are still awaiting a reimbursement for our Jordan excursion. 

2 minutes ago, 1 EastEnder said:

As a retired legal secretary, I'm well organized and have printed out all of the paperwork

Then you have all of the necessary details of what you booked, what you were charged and what has been refunded so far.....

• Thanks 1

oops, the reply went off before I had completed it.  I have all of Oceania's statements printed out and know exactly what excursions I prepaid.  I just don't understand why moneys have not been credited back and why their reluctance to send me an itemized statement of their charges.  I can see the charges on my credit card.  I just want to know what they are for and why the cancelled excursions are not being credited back.  I merely put this on Cruise Critic to see if anyone else was having a similar problem.  

Just now, 1 EastEnder said:

oops, the reply went off before I had completed it.  I have all of Oceania's statements printed out and know exactly what excursions I prepaid.  I just don't understand why moneys have not been credited back and why their reluctance to send me an itemized statement of their charges.  I can see the charges on my credit card.  I just want to know what they are for and why the cancelled excursions are not being credited back.  I merely put this on Cruise Critic to see if anyone else was having a similar problem.  

Thanks for the update......I would get your TA involved to find out when the remaining funds will be credited back,  You have all of your documentation

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Did they offer you FCC?

9 minutes ago, Harry Lake said:

Did they offer you FCC?

No, and I cannot think of any reason why they should.  This kind of change is certainly justified and within the scope of "Os" Terms and Conditions.  As a long time (50 year) extensive cruiser we view this kind of change as pretty routine and just part of cruising.  When a cruise line does something we think is wrong we will quickly call them out, but in this case we actually wondered how long it would take them to eliminate Turkey.

I will add that DW and I really enjoy Turkey (and its people) and have been to both Istanbul and Kusadasi (the ports removed from the Vista itinerary) many times.  It is sad that Turkey is being cancelled, but that is something brought on by their own government!

Hank

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, and I cannot think of any reason why they should.  This kind of change is certainly justified and within the scope of "Os" Terms and Conditions.  As a long time (50 year) extensive cruiser we view this kind of change as pretty routine and just part of cruising.  When a cruise line does something we think is wrong we will quickly call them out, but in this case we actually wondered how long it would take them to eliminate Turkey.

I will add that DW and I really enjoy Turkey (and its people) and have been to both Istanbul and Kusadasi (the ports removed from the Vista itinerary) many times.  It is sad that Turkey is being cancelled, but that is something brought on by their own government!

Hank

We were in Turkey in May during the election and when he was re-elected. Let’s just say it seemed anyone in the tourist industry seemed very upset (and were not shy about letting you know) as they had a feeling then I think their livelihoods could be impacted after their struggles to get back to normal after the pandemic.