Purchase wine package onboard or online?

john2003

47 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Pre-purchasing the Cellar 1/2/3 wine packages has no effect on wines available once onboard. You get what's available.

There are many wine packages.  We often if not always are allowed substitutions 

Edited by Mary229

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

There are many wine packages 

You are correct. What wine packages are there besides the 4/6/8 bottle cellar 1/2/3 packages? I might be interested. Ideally wine packages that allow you choose specific wines.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

1 minute ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

You are correct. What wine packages are there besides the 4/6/8 bottle cellar 1/2/3 packages? I might be interested.

There is some high level package which I don’t think allows substitutions. See Roger Jett’s page for menus.     We visit with the MDR wine person (formerly known as the sommelier😉) on the first or second night in dining.  We tell them what we prefer, do they have it onboard and which package level do I need to get that particular wine.   We have never been turned down 

Thx Mary229. I looked at Roger's menus but couldn't find anything else other than the Cellar 1/2/3 packages. I have read on CC that if they sell out of a wine in your package they will offer a substitute from a higher level package or even a wine not on any of the package lists. Sounds like that is what your MDR wine person set up for you.

17 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Thx Mary229. I looked at Roger's menus but couldn't find anything else other than the Cellar 1/2/3 packages. I have read on CC that if they sell out of a wine in your package they will offer a substitute from a higher level package or even a wine not on any of the package lists. Sounds like that is what your MDR wine person set up for you.

There are plenty of wines onboard and you don’t have to buy from the list.  The price per bottle decides which category they fit in.  My point is you don’t have to buy from that prescribed list and therefore I wait until I board to see what truly is available 

One advantage to ordering on board is that if you are entitled to a 3, 4, or 5* discount you are more likely to actually receive it.  We ordered before boarding our 42 day Westerdam cruise this Spring and I found out while on board that they charged me full price.  After numerous trips to the front desk and even providing them a copy of my credit card statement they said they would take care of it.  They never did, which is one reason we have chosen another cruise line for our next cruise.

Ray

25 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

One advantage to ordering on board is that if you are entitled to a 3, 4, or 5* discount you are more likely to actually receive it.  We ordered before boarding our 42 day Westerdam cruise this Spring and I found out while on board that they charged me full price.  After numerous trips to the front desk and even providing them a copy of my credit card statement they said they would take care of it.  They never did, which is one reason we have chosen another cruise line for our next cruise.

Ray

Sorry to here that. Makes sense. There doesn't appear to be a cost savings (apples to apples ie pre-cruise cost includes the 18% gratuity charge vs onboard cost plus 18% added) when purchasing pre-cruise to onboard purchase. No currency exchange savings either (like crew appreciation fees) as the pre-cruise beverage purchases are in USD regardless of currency used for the booking.

3 hours ago, john2003 said:

We will do it in the ship. We are 4* so get the discount. I only asked as we like a bottle in the cabin and aren’t going to pay to carry it on. 

And you can buy that package from the first restaurant/bar personnel you encounter.  Anyone who sells the package gets some form of “reward” so if you have a favorite bar you can get it there as easily as the MDR

1 hour ago, lauriek said:

Does anyone know how to find the wine list on the different packages?  I saw one once on trip report but cannot find it again.  No info on the HAL website.

Thanks!

The most recent posting on https://rogerjett-photography.com/  is

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Sommelir-Suite-2023.pdf