Panama Canal Question

80sGal

Carnival has always listed the cruises as either partial or full transit.  All the new listings have changed (2024 forward) to showing Colon and Limon with excursions.   Is that different?  Are there no more partial transits where the ship will go into Gatun Lake?   (Also posted on that board).  Thanks!  

The cruises that port in Colon have cheaper port fees and taxes. The carnival ship does not go into the canal.  You have to book an excursion on a smaller boat that will take you into the canal. 

The cruises that specify partial and full transit actually have the carnival ship go into the canal and through the locks. The port fees and taxes will be higher for these options.

In the past when I priced out the different options, the price was a wash. Whatever you save in fees and taxes by going to Colon, you end up spending on an excursion. It’s a matter of whether you want a view from the ship or the view from a smaller vessel.

When I look at January 2024 Panama cruises, I see two listed with partial transits, and one listed as Colon (no transit).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 80sGal said:

Carnival has always listed the cruises as either partial or full transit.  All the new listings have changed (2024 forward) to showing Colon and Limon with excursions.   Is that different?  Are there no more partial transits where the ship will go into Gatun Lake?   (Also posted on that board).  Thanks!  

You get a much fuller Panamanian and closer canal experience when the ship stays in Colon and you take an excursion.    

• Thanks 1

I'm on one of the cruises that docks at colon Panama. We have had many threads in our roll call asking as if they cant scroll down and see the question been asked and asked and answered. 

The one out of Galveston which has been showing sold out since April. The few cabins showing are cancellations. Less than a week, a few days before final payment carnival changed their mind and had a meeting that a passport was required. They had been saying not needed. We have had cancellations and a few cabins opened up. .. at least I think there are a few cabins back up for sale last time I checked. 

OP I agree that people read Panama canal and dont see the word partial but assume it. There are very few excursions imo to see the canal. I'm surprised how few. The one big expensive one for about $200, but not tons going to the aqua clara welcome center for instance as royal has. None. I dont see good options. Maybe they sold out before I started looking.

• Thanks 1

I counted them only 7 excursions listed for colon Panama. I went on a similar on rcl and there were quite a few under $100 and up to 30% off. Not great but choices. Carnival doesnt have sales all the time like rcl, all full priced all the time.

The eco cruise and gatum lakes was $99 on rcl full priced, vs carnival $114. I'm in a bit of sticker shock how much more expensive carnival excursions are. Cheapest is $114.99 pp. 

20231022_074943106.jpeg

• Thanks 1