World Cruise Blogs

What are your favourite world cruise blogs?

I lost contact following a few regulars, following Covid.  

A favourite remaining is "Rose and Ted's Excellent Adventure".  Latest episode is their thoughts on their latest and upcoming tours: value for money.  There is a lot of valuable information for future cruisers and travellers in their enjoyable blogs.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

What are your favourite world cruise blogs?

I lost contact following a few regulars, following Covid.  

A favourite remaining is "Rose and Ted's Excellent Adventure".  Latest episode is their thoughts on their latest and upcoming tours: value for money.  There is a lot of valuable information for future cruisers and travellers in their enjoyable blogs.  

Thanks Marion. I'll look out for that one. 

We're using our upcoming Japan trip to try to idea of what quantity of consumables ( ie skin care products, shampoo etc) we'll need to take with us. We're away for a month on that trip so we should be able to get a very good idea of what we'll need for the world cruise. Sometimes it's hard to find the products you like when travelling, especially when you don't have many opportunites for shopping for essentials.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're using our upcoming Japan trip to try to idea of what quantity of consumables ( ie skin care products, shampoo etc) we'll need to take with us. We're away for a month on that trip so we should be able to get a very good idea of what we'll need for the world cruise. Sometimes it's hard to find the products you like when travelling, especially when you don't have many opportunites for shopping for essentials.

Bon Voyage.  I look forward to reading your comments on your cruise and Japan.  Good idea to use your Japan trip as a reccie for your world cruise.  I learnt the hard way just how long it can take you to find a product you are looking for, on a cruise in Canada.  I had no idea there were so many different types of ginger in a supermarket.  I eventually found the Bundaberg Ginger style ginger lollies, which I always travel with which help ease nausea in rough seas.  

To me travel blogs in general have gone down in quality. I remember reading blogs that recounted experiences good, bad and the mundane while giving real practical advice. There was one blog years ago that helped me navigate the border crossing between Belize and Guatemala. The bloggers photographed all the buildings you needed to find to get all the documents. Sure it wasn't pretty but it was useful. Now everything is Instagram perfect photos that look like screensaver shots with gushing descriptions of destinations but light on details about transportation, tickets, times or how to visit or just any advice to make your travel easier. IMO travel blogs seem to have turned into nothing but pretty advertising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To me travel blogs in general have gone down in quality. I remember reading blogs that recounted experiences good, bad and the mundane while giving real practical advice. There was one blog years ago that helped me navigate the border crossing between Belize and Guatemala. The bloggers photographed all the buildings you needed to find to get all the documents. Sure it wasn't pretty but it was useful. Now everything is Instagram perfect photos that look like screensaver shots with gushing descriptions of destinations but light on details about transportation, tickets, times or how to visit or just any advice to make your travel easier. IMO travel blogs seem to have turned into nothing but pretty advertising. 

Evolution?

Welcome to the world of advertorial influencing on social media. Many of the excellent cruise bloggers have been tempted by a hosted cruise, so details end up being replaced by clickbait and a bias to the provider that is paying the bill.

One of the cruise lines tried to buy influence from CC members around 15 years ago, and it all got howled down on those relevant forums for what it was. While there are some genuine blogs out there still, this place attracts me because there are contributors, not influencers.

• Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Have you been to Japan before Julie?  It is my favourite cruise so far.  I would definitely go again.

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Have you been to Japan before Julie?  It is my favourite cruise so far.  I would definitely go again.

Yes, we did a land trip there in 2015. About two weeks but Rolf was working for about four days. We did some great tours - the best was bus from Tokyo to Mt Fuji, Hakone, then train to Takayama, them bus to Kanazawa via tge Shirakawa-go area, then train to Kyoto. We based ourselves in Kyoto for four days then went down to Hiroshima and Miyajima overnight, then back to Narita to fly home.

Then in 2018 we did a repositioning cruise up to Yokohama and stayed in Tokyo for a few days. 

Hmmm, maybe it's time to start the Live(ish) thread!

• Like 1